Fire @ Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
There are three things that don't work discussing; politics, sex and religions.
This is not one of them, the first post is very clear, the guide.

Nine years ago (not 900 years ago) I started a nature thread (photography), without talk.
Now I just started an historic architectural thread on one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the world that was ravaged by fire on Monday. It is in that art direction, cultural heritage that I understand the deep mourning of French Parisians in their heart looking @ the skyline and not seeing the spire anymore today, not seeing the roof of Notre Dame.

Plus, it gives us all the opportunity to discover more about the architecture of Notre Dame, inside and out. ...Artistically, historically, musically, acoustically, life born and reborn.
Babies were baptised inside that magnificent cathedral, Easter masses assisted by people like Jack.

The stain-glass work in Notre Dame is of the highest caliber master art.
The wood structures of the roof were my first introduction because nature (forests), arts, architecture, organs, massed choirs, peace, ...are all part of who I'm truly am.
So the wood inside, from several hundred years old, the sculptures inside and outside, the gargoyles, the superb stain-glass work, ...all of this is what is the direction I intended, the great tragic lost in the heart of our brothers and sisters, French Parisians.

It is in tragic moments like these, of accidental fires, that the best and worst of men come up.
The worst is not WBF philosophy, the best is.

So, with all of that now being said; I would ask please to go deep inside your heart and bring the best of it.

Yes, Bob, it is about cultural heritage, not one particular religion. I think we all should feel the same sense of loss when something catastrophic were to happen to the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul for example. It is about miracles of architecture and engineering, about magnificent symbols of the human capacity to strive for higher goals, even if you may not agree with the particular ones expressed. What happened to Notre Dame is a cultural loss for humanity, not just a loss for one group of humans. To think otherwise is just small-minded.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was talking with my Mom earlier, and we've talked about the Notre Dame Cathedral, and Paris.
Then she said to me that when she was a baby a fair bunch of years ago, the priest wouldn't baptize her @ the cathedral of my town back then. ...Because she didn't have a name of a Saint, a martyr saint. This is no bull, it's true. Then her mother had to look for a name; she picked Notre Dame de Paris.

My Mom's name is Parise.

* By rebuilding the cathedral of Notre Dame they are going to learn much more about history and architecture. It could take twenty years ... I've read some from the experts on what has do be done first; secure the perimeter and build a giant umbrella. This is a major project of scientific engineering of architecture.

I sure agree 100% with your above post Al.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yes, Bob, it is about cultural heritage, not one particular religion. I think we all should feel the same sense of loss when something catastrophic were to happen to the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul for example. It is about miracles of architecture and engineering, about magnificent symbols of the human capacity to strive for higher goals, even if you may not agree with the particular ones expressed. What happened to Notre Dame is a cultural loss for humanity, not just a loss for one group of humans. To think otherwise is just small-minded.
Very much agreed Al. All cultures build on top of the development of other cultures... we all stand on the shoulders of someone else. So the fabric of civilisation definitely belongs to us all. It’s just shocking to lose any important monuments to civilisation and the finest treasures of our true shared culture.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I've read the majority of Wiki's page on Hagia Sophia's architecture and cultural history.
Amazing builders back then, wow. And then it makes you search for even more amazing structures, larger, more majestic, more arts, gigantic arts, paintings, woodworking, stoneworking, the sky is only the limit.

Yes, like the planets, the sun, the moon, the stars of the midnight sky, the universe, ...our planet Earth is our temple to all, our home, our garden, our history, our heritage, our culture, our music, our humanity, our life, our peace. Like Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris it's a peace of us all, a piece of the entire world's stage, architectural design of human kind...like walking for the first time on the moon, like walking for the first time on the earth.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'd lock this topic, mods... it'll be political shortly.

French churches have been under attack all year (2019). What are the odds that something that stood for 800 years without modern thing to prevent fire (like electrical that aren't covered in cotton conducting 230v) just burns down one day from a minor mistake? Zero.

Yes I saw this on Alex Jones. I heard gay frogs (turned gay by the fluoride in the water) started the fire as they hate that Catholicism doesn't support the cause of gay frogs.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes I saw this on Alex Jones. I heard gay frogs (turned gay by the fluoride in the water) started the fire as they hate that Catholicism doesn't support the cause of gay frogs.

I've never watched info wars but I certainly suggest moving on from them at this point, based on that...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

LOL!

Reactions: jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are enough problems in the world w humans without bringing amphibians into it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'd lock this topic, mods... it'll be political shortly.

French churches have been under attack all year (2019). What are the odds that something that stood for 800 years without modern thing to prevent fire (like electrical that aren't covered in cotton conducting 230v) just burns down one day from a minor mistake? Zero.

zero? :rolleyes:

It is perfectly plausible to me that some worker maybe on some ladder dropped his cigarette (smoking is still very popular in Europe) in just the wrong place and . . . OOPS!

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
NO POLITICAL POSTS PLEASE!

Reactions: Bodhi

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Let's not look for a conspiracy/foul play, until there's evidence.

They're already saying the Houses Of Parliament in London are very vunerable w all the renovation works going on.

Glasgow College of Art has gone up in flames TWICE now. Once, and then worse second time when it was being repaired (some stuff you CANNOT make up).

No foul play. Just carelessness maybe.

Reactions: Al M.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Please Folsom, don't start any fire in my thread. I know Ron; he's going to delete it. He's extremely allergic to anything even resembling a statue. It's the way it is, respect that and go play in another thread. Thank you.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I awakened this morning to find no less than 12 member reports about many other members in this thread

The offending posts have been removed by everyone and I feel this thread has made its point. We've seen pictures and videos past and present of the church and there has been mention that the French will take whatever time money and resources it will take to restore the church.

As a result IMO all salient points have been made and the thread has, as predicted spiraled downwards. As a result, and in order to avoid more name calling and mud slinging I have made the decision to close the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing