First Watt SIT-4

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Double post because new product:
I will let you know when my Protos arrives!
Nelson Pass is releasing another First Watt single ended SIT, the SIT-4, made with Tokin SIT rather than his previous radar SIT. Amp is spec'd at 10 watts per channel, but the Tokin device has potential anode dissipation of hundreds of watts (radar SIT had anode dissipation of about 50 or 60 watts). It is both voltage and current amplifier with a mu type MOSFET binary with no feedback fronted by NP's favorite JFET buffer.

Likely due to the massive reserve of the Tokin device, the amp has a lazy distortion curve that goes to about 20 watts @ 5 percent or so distortion, and probably can punch out higher transients than that, so not so lightweight as it seems from basic specs. $5K, so maybe a 'poor man's' Aries Cerat triode transistor type.

NP is also planning monoblocks for heat sinking purposes to push the base power up to 20 watts or more per channel.

I suspect this one will be a favorite of the low power high efficiency crowd, if it is anything like the single ended VFET Sony 2SK60 that I built from Pass DIY site.

Morricab's reports will be interesting on the AC units, but I have only read good things about them.

Axel C

Nov 30, 2022
NYC
I just received mine. It’s only played for a day but offhand two immediate observations. First, it’s a lot more powerful than the spec would indicate. I also have the J2, SIT3, and F8 and this one plays the loudest with the volume knob static. According to the FW website, its gain is higher than the others so that’s likely the contributor, but with only 10 wpc into 8 ohms (5 into 4 ohms) it's nonetheless impressive.
The other thing is it’s much hotter to the touch than the others. This is due to its higher bias but must be right on the edge of what is permissible.
Again, I’ve only been listening for the past 24 hours but right away it’s got that lovely SIT bloom. It’s replaced the XA25 and while I rate that one highly, the new SIT is noticeably more musical with much better depth and nuance especially in the mids and highs.
I intend to compare it back to back w the SIT3 later this week.
But suffice to say I think Nelson has another hit on his hands.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Congrats. A new report after a couple of hundred hours of use would be welcome. However, I notice that the SIT products I have sound quite good even without a lot of warmup (as opposed to the M2 which doesn't come into form for at least an hour or two).

I gather NP may have a few SIT designs in the future with the Tokin SITs. I might buy one of the commercial products after we see what he rolls out.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
monos to follow! ❤️❤️

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
Any further updates or reviews on the SIT-4?
Would love to see a picture of the inside.
Not much posted about this amp. Maybe there are not many in the field yet?

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I have the J-2. It’s no SET killer, that’s for sure! I find its highs too grainy on my La Scalas, whereas my various SETs (45s, 300Bs, WE 421a) sound simply sublime. I hope the SIT-4 sounds better. Someone should compare it to a great 300B SET. The wattage looks about the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing