Floor-standing vs Book-shelf from upper line up?

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Hello,

I’d like to ask your general opinion and experience.

Of course, I plan to hear (if possible) both to make the final call,
but would like to know possible long-term experience.

A room is about 14ft x 13ft, a dedicated listening room with couple acoustic panels.

My question is, (specifically or generally)

- Floor stand speaker vs A book shelf type speaker from the upper line up

What would be the better choice?

Technically, the bookshelf would provide enough sound for a room, and it’s from the upper line up, so I think this might be the optimized solution.

At the same time, I personally prefer floor-standing design (not that important), and though there might be slightly more power than I need, I think having slightly more power would not sound like a bad idea.

Products - Marten

I compare Marten Oscar Trio vs Marten Parker Duo

Both are relatively new, and the price is basically same...
“This price factor” (assuming you pay for what you get, especially from the same company) is a tricky thing.

If this were B&W 805 vs 704 decision. It would be a lot easier. (But in case of my problem, the prices are same.)

What would you choose?

Happy New Year! :D

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Technically my curiosity is how different frequency spec would affect in the long term though I know it’s just number and actual sound may vary. - Especially Classical music / piano sound that I’m fond of the most.

Parker duo (36-40khz) +-2db
Oscar trio (27-20khz) +- 3db

Lower bass part puzzles me. Parker duo is better made overall and has a higher coverage. But Oscar has pretty decent 27hz lower coverage.

Technical range of Piano starts from 27.5hz(some is lower) so Parker duo would “theoretically” lose some sound. Still well made speakers with higher bass range often sound better than cheaper&bigger (w/ lower bass range number) even in low hz territory.

This is from same brand, and same price(unlike B&W situation) - this makes “number vs reality” really tricky.

I thought that if there’s anyone listening classical music / piano / organ sound a lot, then one would be able to tell me which direction (better made but some bass loss vs inferior build but more bass) is usually more satisfying in the long term.

I wish I had a bigger room.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Something like a Joseph Audio Pulsar (or equivalent) on a decent pair of sand filled stands with one or two subs properly integrated would sound amazing and be much less visually impactful. If you are into demanding classical music, a floor stander would be the better choice IMHO.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Happy New Year!

Hard to say, depends on your tastes. In this price range, and for a smaller room like yours, I personally am heavily biased towards a monitor/subwoofer combo. I have one myself.

In the Marten case with those two speakers in the same price range, you get less speaker with the monitor, meaning you get more speaker -- better drivers, probably better cabinet, more freedom from cabinet colorations for the same price.

As you say:
Still well made speakers with higher bass range often sound better than cheaper&bigger (w/ lower bass range number) even in low hz territory.

In your room you may or may not need subwoofers; my monitors in the current setup now sound rather satisfying also without subs, even though I prefer them with. A well integrated monitor/sub combo can beat a floor stander in the bass by a mile; in general, and in that price range in particular, I personally would never want to run floor standers without subwoofers either.

Frequency range specifications for the main speakers (monitors or floor standers), in particular in this price range, may turn out to be rather meaningless in practice. Another consideration with the Marten Parker Duo is that there is a passive radiator in the back, which may help with the bass. I like some of the thoughts expressed in this review.

I also used to think that monitors are less suited for demanding orchestral music, but I have changed my mind on this one. I have gotten mine to sound great on that material, with high resolution and low distortion at loud volumes.

In my view, floor standers only are to preferred in a high price range and for a larger room.

I'll post some more thoughts on my monitor/sub combo, also compared to larger speakers, on my system thread soon, perhaps even later today.

The best thing of course would be if had the opportunity to audition the two speakers prior to purchase.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As for the low range of the piano, the monitors may suffice; they will likely give you the more precise sound too. You don't want to have boom in the low register of the piano -- not interesting, and highly distracting.

Organ sound: for the bass, subwoofers are required, regardless of monitor or floor stander. Only with expensive floor standers with large bass units you may not a need subwoofer, but these will not play well in a smaller room.

In a smaller room like yours you will not get the deepest bass anyway. In such a room you even want to avoid the lowest bass frequencies, as they can muddle up the sound -- also in my longer room I use the, in my view essential, option to attenuate the extreme low frequencies on my JL Audio subs (there is a reason for that option in the first place).

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hello,

I’d like to ask your general opinion and experience.

Of course, I plan to hear (if possible) both to make the final call,
but would like to know possible long-term experience.

A room is about 14ft x 13ft, a dedicated listening room with couple acoustic panels.

My question is, (specifically or generally)

- Floor stand speaker vs A book shelf type speaker from the upper line up

What would be the better choice?

Technically, the bookshelf would provide enough sound for a room, and it’s from the upper line up, so I think this might be the optimized solution.

At the same time, I personally prefer floor-standing design (not that important), and though there might be slightly more power than I need, I think having slightly more power would not sound like a bad idea.

Products - Marten

I compare Marten Oscar Trio vs Marten Parker Duo

Both are relatively new, and the price is basically same...
“This price factor” (assuming you pay for what you get, especially from the same company) is a tricky thing.

If this were B&W 805 vs 704 decision. It would be a lot easier. (But in case of my problem, the prices are same.)

What would you choose?

Happy New Year! :D
Technically my curiosity is how different frequency spec would affect in the long term though I know it’s just number and actual sound may vary. - Especially Classical music / piano sound that I’m fond of the most.

Parker duo (36-40khz) +-2db
Oscar trio (27-20khz) +- 3db

Lower bass part puzzles me. Parker duo is better made overall and has a higher coverage. But Oscar has pretty decent 27hz lower coverage.

Technical range of Piano starts from 27.5hz(some is lower) so Parker duo would “theoretically” lose some sound. Still well made speakers with higher bass range often sound better than cheaper&bigger (w/ lower bass range number) even in low hz territory.

This is from same brand, and same price(unlike B&W situation) - this makes “number vs reality” really tricky.

I thought that if there’s anyone listening classical music / piano / organ sound a lot, then one would be able to tell me which direction (better made but some bass loss vs inferior build but more bass) is usually more satisfying in the long term.

I wish I had a bigger room.

Contrary to popular belief, the room matters much less than many think, but that's another story. Still, it would be nice to have your room dimensions extending at least a few more feet in at least one of the directions.

Regarding bass. Whether full-range or bookshelf, optimal speaker positioning within most any given room is by far the most important ingredient toward achieving a superior bass. Perhaps the most difficult thing to accomplish but it's also possibly the most rewarding.

As for full-range or monitor speakers, going with bookshelf implies combining those with speaker stands. For the performance-minded, attention must be given to the way the bookshelf speaker and stand are mated and how the stand is mated to the floor. Whereas with full-range speakers, there's just mating the speaker to the floor. IOW, with full-range speakers, there one less potential performance compromise to concern yourself with. But this too is another story.

Based on the lower frequency specs you provided, whether full-range or bookshelf, chances are good you could still benefit from a subwoofer or 2 as without you'll be missing out on good portion of the music presentation. However, just like speakers, optimal subwoofer placement and fine-tuning are paramount toward a superior bass. But again, not so easy to achieve.

Which would I choose? Regardless of full-range or bookshelf, knowing what to do with what you have usually far exceeds performance potentials of what you may purchase. But I would always look for a more full-range speaker that potentially goes down to the 24-23Hz region which usually includes a 10-inch+ woofer even if it meant having to go the used speaker route. The lower the frequency the full-range speakers can go the less the need for a subwoofer. And if the full-range speakers can go down to the 24 - 22Hz range and are properly dialed in, your life just got a bit less complex which implies greater performance potential. Moreover, without a subwoofer the room is a bit less cluttered with wires and gea and your room would have less AC requirements. All are good things because less of the right components most always translates to greater performance potential.

Your interest in the organ makes for an excellent reference regarding room and bass. Above are a couple of in-room recordings of organ pieces that hopefully substantiate my position.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing