Floored by the quality of these DSD masterings

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I tried one of these just now. Judy Garland live in Las Vegas. I got the 352kHz / 24 bit version. I was very pleasantly surprised. For a recording made in 1956 it had an amazing rich texture. Judy's voice was crystal clear and lifelike. I'm going back for more. Callas for sure. Probably some other jazz.

Reactions: b345t

b345t

May 10, 2020
I tried one of these just now. Judy Garland live in Las Vegas. I got the 352kHz / 24 bit version. I was very pleasantly surprised. For a recording made in 1956 it had an amazing rich texture. Judy's voice was crystal clear and lifelike. I'm going back for more. Callas for sure. Probably some other jazz.
That's great! I'll go for that one too. All four that I have bought so far, all have a great 'clean' quality to them. By clean I am talking about the noise that is associated with the older recordings. Tone is on point and not exaggerated.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Any chance you have purchased their dsd files and compared?
I only have an old CD release with the "Getz/Gilberto" album on it, but no files. I've never complained about the quality of the recording, and I've always been mesmerized by the music. :)

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Tried a few more. The Getz CD is so clear it's almost unbelievable. The sax has a throaty meatiness to it on an absolutely black background. The image has very good depth and width. Very enjoyable. I had the 96k/24 bit version and compared. The 352k/24 with whatever processing was applied to the tape master is far superior. I have a few other CD's from this vendor I have yet to sample. I didn't really care for the audio quality of the Callas recording. It was an early recording when Callas was still a powerful force in opera. The recording was mono so very little spatial information. Callas was also quite far from the mike so you couldn't hear the nuances in her voice that made her a superstar among superstars.

Reactions: b345t

b345t

May 10, 2020
Tried a few more. The Getz CD is so clear it's almost unbelievable. The sax has a throaty meatiness to it on an absolutely black background. The image has very good depth and width. Very enjoyable. I had the 96k/24 bit version and compared. The 352k/24 with whatever processing was applied to the tape master is far superior. I have a few other CD's from this vendor I have yet to sample. I didn't really care for the audio quality of the Callas recording. It was an early recording when Callas was still a powerful force in opera. The recording was mono so very little spatial information. Callas was also quite far from the mike so you couldn't hear the nuances in her voice that made her a superstar among superstars.
I agree. The clarity and the pitch black background is what brings the music to life and makes it seem like it is a much 'newer' recording than it is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing