For those with the cojones...and chequebook to match!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Currently vinyl is a better and more reliable investment than London property

IMHO both are currently overpriced, non reliable and poor investments ...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Al M.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well Keith, AS2000 and AF0 are highly limited production runs, so value should be maintained.

I've just seen a s/h ad for one of the big brick Wadia cdps from the early 2000s. $15k new I believe, w $5k of mods. Yours for $3k.

how about the gold plated $65k grounding boxes?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
In the US, with the continuing stratification of the wealthiest people, the top quarter of a percent of the population has a net worth of around $22M+. That means about 300,000 households. Picking that number is not random. It is the point at which the US estate tax starts for a couple (or the surviving spouse). The tax rate above $22M is 40%, so anything that is purchased that doesn't count in your net assets (or can easily be hidden from view for estate tax purposes) effectively has a 40% discount. (Note: Charitable gifts have a double or triple bonus since they don't have estate tax, capital gains tax and get a tax deduction).

That means in the US, there are 300,000 households, where buying a very high end system (say $250,000 or more) has little effect on their actual net worth.

I told the story in the Ferrari section of the father-in-law of our niece (married 18 months ago) with whom I have been paired with for several family dinners recently because of his supposed interest in hifi. He said he doesn't listen much and it took him two dinners before he remembered the name of his speakers (B&W). He did speak with some excitement about his Ferraris, included his recent La Ferrari purchase. He said he was a very good customer of Ferrari. I don't know much about cars, but asked him how long he had been buying Ferraris. He said, about 30 years. And how many had he purchased. He said 30. A fancy hifi system is chump change for him. He also collects old cameras and fancy watches. He is about 70, just a few years younger than me.

Larry

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
how about the gold plated $65k grounding boxes?

Oops ...

IMHO they are the Trojan Horse in expensive high-end :) - no one dares to defend them in technical terms. IMHO they are completely misunderstood.

But they have an action in our systems - I use the Nordost Qkore6 system and the damn boxex and green wires change the sound of my system.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
From folks I know and however many posts I've read, the component whose looks influences people more than any other is the turntable.

There seems to be several different camps; there's: the exotic/pretty wood plinth, often heavily plasticized (eg artisan fidelity), the shiny bling camp with plenty of polished/chromed metal (eg transrotor, whatever is that below), the 'technical' look (eg kronos, tw akustik, techdas) , the clear acrylic/lucite group (eg basis, pro-ject,mcintosh, scheu), the classic look (eg sota, kuzma, vpi, linn), with combinations and variations of these, and others. Plinth size and leg towers may be other aesthetics.

View attachment 49978

I would agree with that; visuals have a greater influence on humans than sounds.
For animals sounds might have a greater influence, and smell too.

Another thing with turntables...the entire discipline of the TOUCH.
Humans love touching stuff and people; from the first time you take a new album from its sleeve to all the touching ritual that follows it.

With digital there is zero touch; it's all robot artificial intelligence.
A turntable is easier to evaluate visually than say a CD player or music server (streamer).
Our auditory sense is also influenced by our visuals.
...Except in quasi total darkness.

So I agree 100% with you Tima. And hiend TT manufacturers do too.

Reactions: valkyrie and tima

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
And I can see the first $100k rack before soon.

Well it ahs already happened Marc. All depends on the level of dedication :)
Our 3x3 rack (triple width, 3 tier) loaded with 9 Advanced platforms reaches that.
In Munich we will have a more moderate version: a 3x2 rack with 3 Basic/Basic+ and 3 CLD shelves.

Cheers,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing