From YG Carmel 2 to Wilson Sabrina X?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hello WBF,

I’m very happy YG owner but, as with this hobby, I’m *entertaining the idea of changing speakers.

Additionally, to be fair, I haven’t heard a modern Wilson since the Sophia 3 and original Alexia.

My experiences weren’t so great. Especially given their cost.

Fast forward to the present. I’m not unhappy with YG but, there are quite a few things I’m looking for which, I don’t think can be resolved without changing out the speaker.

To that end a larger speaker like a Hailey 2.2 or Sasha DAW would be a destination for me but, not feasible given due to budget and current residence.

That being said, here is what I’m looking for, that I don’t feel the Carmel 2 is providing.

* A bigger presence , scale and dynamics

* Easier to drive and able to listen at lower volumes - I feel YG has to driven hard to “come alive”

Here is what I feel the YG has in terms of positive qualities that I’m concerned won‘t be available in the Wilson ( Sabrina X level)

* Resolution

* Coherence - A point source

* The ability to scale up as the system changes. They easily convey for better or worse, what is behind them.

There are so many positives of the YG , is is going to *VERY hard to change. But, in the past 5 years I never even thought of it until now.

Yes, I’ve changed electronics from Pass (Integrated ) which barely moved them to much more refined Spectral stereo amp.

Perhaps as 2021 progresses , I’d go for in a person listening session, of course prior to making such a commitment.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
It may need some patience but if you can find a used Kipod Signature passive you will meet your objectives and save a lot of money.
That is what I did when I moved from the Carmel 1 to the Kipod Signature passive. Check out the reviews and I think you will see what a great speaker it is.
They do come up for sale from time to time but as I say you might need to be patient

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
It may need some patience but if you can find a used Kipod Signature passive you will meet your objectives and save a lot of money.
That is what I did when I moved from the Carmel 1 to the Kipod Signature passive. Check out the reviews and I think you will see what a great speaker it is.
They do come up for sale from time to time but as I say you might need to be pa

Thanks. But, as a Carmel 2 owner, the Vantage speaker would probably be my with YG upgrade without losing any performance.

I’m fairly certain the Kipod doesn’t have the billet core woofers.

Vantage is nice steup from Carmel 2. You get all the technologies except the new tweeter, which are on Hailey 2.2 and above.

I was more curious if i swapped for Wilson Sabrina X. What would I again compared to what would I lose.

Reactions: ctydwn

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Here are a couple thoughts. First, there is a pair of Hailey's on audiogon for about $20K which could be upgraded to 2.2's at some point if you wanted. The extra woofer helps take the load off the 6" midrange. This would seem like a trade where you would get to keep the YG sound for not too much cash difference. Also, if you stay with YG then the Gryphon Diablo 300 is a pretty awesome pairing.

No doubt the Wilson speaker will have more bass as it has a dedicated 8" woofer. But the tone of the two speakers will be very different -- like comparing Strawberry to Chocolate. I used to pair Spectral electronics with Wilson speakers and thought they worked well together.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks. But, as a Carmel 2 owner, the Vantage speaker would probably be my with YG upgrade without losing any performance.

I’m fairly certain the Kipod doesn’t have the billet core woofers.

Vantage is nice steup from Carmel 2. You get all the technologies except the new tweeter, which are on Hailey 2.2 and above.

I was more curious if i swapped for Wilson Sabrina X. What would I again compared to what would I lose.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes the Vantage would be a good buy new and more affordable than the Hailey.
It doesn't give a lot away to the Hailey, but a good used pair of Haileys should be possible at the Vantage price point.
Opinions vary on the the Sabrina but if you like the YG sound I would be wary of changing brand.
Good luck!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks for your reply.
Yes the Vantage would be a good buy new and more affordable than the Hailey.
It doesn't give a lot away to the Hailey, but a good used pair of Haileys should be possible at the Vantage price point.
Opinions vary on the the Sabrina but if you like the YG sound I would be wary of changing brand.
Good luck!
Hi Barry2013,
Please don't forget that there is another upgrade route :
The CMS Center Stage2 LS loudspeaker footers!

They will work with your current Carmel2 and also your future Vantage or Hailey!
;)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
There are so many positives of the YG , is is going to *VERY hard to change. But, in the past 5 years I never even thought of it until now.

Yes, I’ve changed electronics from Pass (Integrated ) which barely moved them to much more refined Spectral stereo amp.

Perhaps as 2021 progresses , I’d go for in a person listening session, of course prior to making such a commitment.

Thoughts?

Thank you
With all due respects, sounds like you like the YG's and are going through the typical "upgrade neurosis" syndrome that inflicts some audio types including myself in the past. Until you hear something that equals your system and provides a clear upgrade path forward, I'd avoid any changes. There is no such thing as a "perfect" system but only a set of compromises that you can happily live with.

Reactions: KeithR and Mdp632

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sounds like a lateral move. Get some new music. :oops:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing