Furutech NCF AC Plugs: Gold vs Rhodium Reviewed!

honeymustardsteve

Jan 24, 2019
Personally I find the plating matching is most important. Generally there’s synergy between oyaide parts. I used to run oyaide r1 into an oyaide m1/f1 and into an oyaide iec inlet

Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Not sure if/how any of this applies to cables with hybrid gold/silver and gold/silver/palladium conductors like Echole, Fono Acustica, Gryphon Vanta, and Hemingway Audio. It isn't always possible to match plating. I had a gold Furutech IEC inlet put on my Pathos TT RR when I had it upgraded for example because I was going to be using a Hemingway power cord with gold/silver alloy conductors (not sure what the plating is on the IEC connector-it is silver in color so it could be Rhodium). My Echole power cords have gold/silver/palladium conductors and use Oyaide 046 Palladium over gold connectors (no Rhodium involved). Are there any Palladium IEC inlets? Is it better to match component IEC inlet plating with cable connector plating or cable conductor composition? Not hearing any obvious compatibility issues by the way.

Well, we're talking about matching plating on connectors and not the wire. I have not found issues between wire and connectors while I have had issues with different plating materials being combined.

I also use a silver/gold alloy. It's my own wire I have specifically manufactured for me by Neotech using the UPOCC process. It's better than Siltech or Mundorf silver/gold alloy wire imo. If you're into the silver/gold sound you're welcome to demo some of my cables for free! I also have a new pure UPOCC silver PC that is AMAZING... and it's ribbon wire so it has a lot more body and fullness vs round wire silver, and the price is far more reasonable. I was going to offer a silver/gold PC but the price would have been ridiculous. My PC won "Best in Class" (for the more expensive PCs) in a big Audio Bacon test vs a lot of excellent cables from Shunyata, Sablon, Purist, etc.. and my cable is actually less expensive than all of them, while being a better performer. :)

Platinum and Palladium are very similar to rhodium, I'd probably try to match them to rhodium or if it's platinum, WBT uses platinum plated silver in their connectors so you could use WBT if they make the right part. Unfortunately, WBT does not offer a wide variety of connectors using their platinum plated silver, it is IMO the best possible connector to use where it's possible. The other issue is WBT parts are not that "bling", and paying $100 each for spades and bananas encased in clear plastic is unfortunate, but they are excellent connectors.

Most of my customers don't notice that there's anything wrong with their mismatched plating but most have noticed improvements by matching them. I've even had several folks with gold plated receptacles change to rhodium to match the Furutech NCF plugs I use and reported a more relaxed and easy to listen to sound, that a hardness was gone! This hardness is often thought of being an attribute or rhodium, but it's NOT. It's an unfortunate result of mixing gold and rhodium plating.

Personally, I use all Furutech rhodium plated NCF AC parts and I think it makes a massive difference. I think you're much better off going all-in on one brand and one plating of AC parts and this include the IEC inlets for sure! And Furutech NCF is the best there is and they make all sorts of different plugs, receptacles and IEC inlets.

Thanks for your post and let me know if you have any questions! :)

Reactions: _Alchemist_

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I haven't had audible issues with matching plating or conductors, but I have also never heard anything plated with Rhodium that I preferred the sound of. In their review (link below) of the Furutech FI-50 NCF power connectors with PC-Triple C forged cable Soundstage Ultra found the combination to do many things superbly (my Hemingway power cord does everything superbly) but to nevertheless have a "cool" signature and a slight high end bias, which to my ears is characteristic of Rhodium. Every Rhodium plated connector I've listened too has lacked a little of the natural warmth of music compared to its gold plated counterpart. When I was having my Pathos TT upgraded I therefore picked the Furutech FI-09 gold over copper IEC connector. Since I have two gold and two rhodium plated Furutech GTX-D outlets in my Bybee Stealth Power Purifier I have been able to do direct comparisons of my power cables (Hemingway Audio Z-Core Beta, Echole Omnia and Signature, Verastarr Grand Illusion, Audio Magic Clairvoyant Liquid Air, and Isoclean Supreme Focus) in each type of outlet. Without exception I have gotten more natural and enjoyable sound via the gold plated outlets without missing anything in the way of resolution. Currently I have all of my components plugged into the gold plated outlets and Nordost QV2's plugged into the Rhodium plated outlets. Finally let me say that with all of the isolation and power purification measures I have taken I do not need to have NCF in my connectors (I have the NCF Clear Lines and Booster Braces). Appreciate the demo offer but I am set when it comes to power cables.

As I said, my customers have not thought they had audible issues but when switching to all rhodium those issues you mention simply disappear. It's NOT the rhodium that's the issue! I've been doing this for many years, I have far more data than most folks... i.e. my N is far more than ONE. ;) I'm trying to give folks information based on YEARS of sending people demo cables and advising them on the best solution for AC power.

Gold has a large negative effect on resolution, it smooths over a ton of detail.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've been demo-ing/comparing cables, connectors, and components for 40+ years. I've listened to a shitload of different plating combinations and prefer gold with top tier gear over rhodium. In my system I am not missing any detail. And let me be clear - I have never had an all gold conductor system. My Echole cables all have Palladium over gold plating (Oyaide 046) because that's what they use. My Hemingway Audio cable has silver colored connector plating which could be Rhodium - I don' t know. Hemingway makes their own connectors and there's no information at the website about plating. But when I've been in a position to choose plating, as with the power conditioner outlets and IEC inlet I've chosen gold because I preferred the sound.

Great! I'm so happy you've found a solution you enjoy. :)

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
@DaveC

Dave, would you have an opinion were you to choose between FI-48 NCF Vs FI-50 Piezo Carbon ( Non NCF)

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Conversly have any forum members performed this particular comparison with their own power cables ?

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Installed Furutech FI 09 . Delrin used for mounting block. Notice use original mounting holes . Can undue this mod , and return it back to stock if needed.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
@DaveC

Dave, would you have an opinion were you to choose between FI-48 NCF Vs FI-50 Piezo Carbon ( Non NCF)

Yeah, I'd go FI-48 so you get the NCF material. I think the only thing you don't get with the FI-48 is the carbon fiber, which will save you a little over $100. Personally, I'd go with the top-end FI-50 NCF if the extra $100 isn't an issue.

Reactions: Argonaut

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Installed Furutech FI 09 . Delrin used for mounting block. Notice use original mounting holes . Can undue this mod , and return it back to stock if needed.

Nice! Not many are willing to do what it takes to mount new IECs, RCA jacks, etc. in component chassis but it does make a big difference.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Just finished installing FI 09 NCF (R) in a pair of SS power amps. Bass definition , top end clarity improved dramatically . Had the same result with source equipment.

Don't even bother with the FI 06's not even in the same league.

Reactions: emoonie

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I will post my finding on installing a FI 09 NCF (R) IEC A/C inlet on an older Wadax DAC / Preamp.

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
I installed Furutech FI 33 NCF inlet and FI E30 outlet on a DC Blocker.
It seems to take forever to break them in. I really hate it. Changes from good and open sounding to more closed in, with lack of bass and harsh highs. The holographic soundstage and the dynamic potensial is not there, even after weeks.
Luckily I have been through this break in process with Furutech equipment before.
Honestly, I think it requires more time than people realize.
I would say give Furutech cables, connectors, outlets etc. 2-3 months in the system before you reap the awards.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I installed Furutech FI 33 NCF inlet and FI E30 outlet on a DC Blocker.
It seems to take forever to break them in. I really hate it. Changes from good and open sounding to more closed in, with lack of bass and harsh highs. The holographic soundstage and the dynamic potensial is not there, even after weeks.
Luckily I have been through this break in process with Furutech equipment before.
Honestly, I think it requires more time than people realize.
I would say give Furutech cables, connectors, outlets etc. 2-3 months in the system before you reap the awards.

Yes, that's a great description of the Furutech rhodium plated copper burn-in. It's tough to go through!

A couple things can help... I use a cable burner for the receptacles, and it could be used for IEC inlets too but I don't sell may of them, maybe one for every 100 receptacles. Next, you can get a IEC to female AC plug converter and use a cable on a fan or refrigerator for a month or so. You can also wire up a converter using the receptacle you want to burn-in.

Reactions: Geir

Geir

Nov 13, 2021
Yes, that's a great description of the Furutech rhodium plated copper burn-in. It's tough to go through!

A couple things can help... I use a cable burner for the receptacles, and it could be used for IEC inlets too but I don't sell may of them, maybe one for every 100 receptacles. Next, you can get a IEC to female AC plug converter and use a cable on a fan or refrigerator for a month or so. You can also wire up a converter using the receptacle you want to burn-in.
Thanks for the advice. It is now 5 weeks since I installed this DC blocker with Furutech NCF inlet/outlet in my system.
Around a week ago when I came home after a day out, and I let the system play internet radio while away. 12-15 hours of music everyday since the start. When I sat down to listen the sound was almost transformed.
The music played with explosive dynamics that had been gone 4 weeks. Don't think I have experienced this kind of difference related to burn in before I got this NCF stuff. I really have to pinch my arm, because this was a remarkable upgrade, and a dramatic turn around in terms of burn in.
I give the DC blocker credit, but it was the Furutech NCF that took that long to burn in.
I am not sure if it still gets better through this burn in process. I got so excited so I purchased a new power cord, and started a new burn in cycle with this. This is "luckily" not Furutech so hopefully it will not take that long time.

Thank again:)

aceace262626

Feb 11, 2023

I've tried rhodium and copper plugs. For amplifiers, dacs, internet power supplies, source players and subwoofers. For me for amplifier copper is better than rhodium. For dac rhodium is better than copper. For internet electricity, rhodium is better than copper. For subwoofers copper is better than rhodium. For source players, rhodium is better than copper. So for the main power as much as possible, all pure copper should be. From the main power is divided again for several electrical sections where there is some rhodium. I've never tried gold because gold tarnished over time. I think some amplifiers better use rhodium some better use copper . So you must try using copper and rhodium by each of your device

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing