Furutech NCF FI-50M power-plug revised/improved!

CKKeung

Jun 18, 2011
Hong Kong
In Hong Kong we notice that the popular Furutech FI-50M NCF has got a quiet revision/improvement!
:eek:

Externally it looks quite similar :
IMG-20190701-WA0033~2.jpg
IMG-20190701-WA0032~2.jpg

However internally there are obvious diff.
The piezo-effect body is taller.
The slots for incoming wires are bigger.
(New-left ; Old-right)
IMG-20190701-WA0035~2.jpg
IMG-20190701-WA0036~2.jpg

Audition reveals that the new one is quieter and has better resolution.

Do WBF brothers notice similar revised FI-50 Series in your countries?
:)

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
My latest order of plugs has the new design, I really appreciate having the larger openings for wire. :) You can recognize it externally as it sticks out further from the end of the body vs the old design. I have not compared them to the older plugs yet as far as sound.

CKKeung

Jun 18, 2011
Hong Kong
WBF brothers please examine them carefully when buying the NCF.
;)

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I noticed this also CKK and fwiw the schuko plug has always protuded in a similar manner where the screw bases are located. This change could however be down to a change of subcontractor rather than a design improvement per se.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
This could be the second update - a year or two ago they updated the connector to include the support on the ground pin. I can't remember if the other changes, noted by the OP, are on the connectors I purchased at that time, however.
The ground pin was apt to loosen over time with very heavy cables. Siltech updated mine for free on two Siltech power cables I own.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
This could be the second update - a year or two ago they updated the connector to include the support on the ground pin. I can't remember if the other changes, noted by the OP, are on the connectors I purchased at that time, however.
The ground pin was apt to loosen over time with very heavy cables. Siltech updated mine for free on two Siltech power cables I own.

That reminds me, if you own these plugs the ground pins are delicate. If you drop them on a hard floor, run into them with a vacuum or your foot when they are plugged into a wall receptacle, or ship them without adequate precautions the ground pin can break.

If your ground pin feels loose, it is almost surely broken internally and will need to be replaced. It is not safe to use a power cable without the ground, so if your cable has a loose ground do not use it until it is repaired. The good news is the internal part of the plug that contains the electrical contacts can now be replaced separately. MSRP is $160 vs $385 for the complete plug. For most cables it should be an easy job to DIY.

CKKeung

Jun 18, 2011
Hong Kong
A friend of mine just got hold of the new Furutech NCF FI-48 Ag plugs which is silver-plated.
IMG-20190720-WA0080~2.jpg
IMG-20190720-WA0076~2.jpg
IMG-20190720-WA0120~2.jpg

He will use them on the Gigawatt EVO powercord.
Will update you after auditioning it.
:cool:
IMG-20190720-WA0121~2.jpg

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
Far Hills, NJ
I just installed a pair of the FI-48s on a Furutech DPS 4.1 PC. It's been playing for 2 days. Mids and top are a delight. The bass isn't there yet. I really hope it will eventually come in. (Bass is typically the last thing to come in.) Curiously, the Ching Cheng PCs take about 5 minutes to break-in. The Oyaide Tunami v2 with 079 connectors take about 24 hours. The current DPS/FI48's? Who knows? I suspect that some of these differences are related not only to the metals in the cables and their terminations, but just as importantly, the metals they are being connected to in the AC outlet or the IEC equipment connector. This much I do know- I hate break-in!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing