Getting a Marantz 22XX in my office room (10 square meters) together with a pair of bookshelf speakers

Volatyle

Aug 1, 2022
Hey everyone,

New to this forum.

I'd like to get better (and nice looking!) sound in my small office room, which is about 10 square-meters big, even less when I come to think of it. I'd like to get a pair of regular sized bookshelf speakers together with a vintage Marantz receiver.

I love the look of the 22XX-series, but I can't really decide (or know) how much power I actually need. I've heard that "marantz watts" can't be compared to a modern receiver denon/onkyo watts, and that's my only reference as I've never owned vintage.

I know the 2270 is the one to go for as you can never get too much power, and things tend to sound better even on low volume with more power. However the price for the 2270 is a bit steep so I'm thinking if the 2245 will be enough. Again, I want to emphasize that I won't connect floor standing big speakers, but a set of smaller bookshelf speakers. To give you any reference, I am currently running a Marshall Woburn in this room, and I found that loud/good enough for the size of the room.

Do you think I'm set with the 2245 or would you go 2270? Or is even the 2245 too much for what I'm pairing it with?

Thanks for any input, completely new to vintage receiver.

Vol

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hey everyone,

New to this forum.

I'd like to get better (and nice looking!) sound in my small office room, which is about 10 square-meters big, even less when I come to think of it. I'd like to get a pair of regular sized bookshelf speakers together with a vintage Marantz receiver.

I love the look of the 22XX-series, but I can't really decide (or know) how much power I actually need. I've heard that "marantz watts" can't be compared to a modern receiver denon/onkyo watts, and that's my only reference as I've never owned vintage.

I know the 2270 is the one to go for as you can never get too much power, and things tend to sound better even on low volume with more power. However the price for the 2270 is a bit steep so I'm thinking if the 2245 will be enough. Again, I want to emphasize that I won't connect floor standing big speakers, but a set of smaller bookshelf speakers. To give you any reference, I am currently running a Marshall Woburn in this room, and I found that loud/good enough for the size of the room.

Do you think I'm set with the 2245 or would you go 2270? Or is even the 2245 too much for what I'm pairing it with?

Thanks for any input, completely new to vintage receiver.

Vol
Hi @Volatyle
I think it comes down to what speakers do you want to use with this amp? Even bookshelf speakers can be more or less power hungry. Q Acoustic Concept 20 will play with anything fine, while KEF LS50 Meta is very demanding in terms of power. Have you thought about any particular speakers?

Reactions: rubinken

Mark R

Jul 31, 2023
The 2270 would be my first choice but the 2245 is an excellent pick. If you run a set of Hi Efficiency type speakers you will have plenty of headroom and or Volume. Hi Efficiency speakers usually require 1-2 watts to reach about 98 db @ 4 feet.

That's loud. The low efficiency type design requires any ware from 20 to 35 watts. That design claims better transient response or faster return movement of the Low Freq driver and plenty of bass.

But speakers like the old JBL L100 are Kick But speakers but pricey and Hi Efficiency.
When you search for speakers or use what you have, see if you can determine if they are hi or low.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing