GIYA Owners: Have you found better footers?

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
The question is addressed to all Giya owners as, aside from size and weight, the five different Giya speaker models share a very similar footer arrangement, with 6 small feet per speaker arranged around the circumference of an oval base. Of the two footer options supplied with Giya G3s, I always use the cylindrical composite footers as they work pretty well on my hardwood over concrete floor. But if you have found a footer or platform that works better than the stock feet supplied with your Giyas, would you like to share your results?

Actually, I have tried a few alternatives, but without any success. When the stock composite feet were replaced with the beautiful Arya RevOpods, the G3s' tonal balance shifted drastically lower, bass was bigger but slower, and there was a big loss of treble extension and air. With the composite feet back in place, I tried setting the G3s on the Marigo Audio Orpheus L3 Isolation Platforms, but the darker tonal shift was similar to the RevOpod results, however without the loss of pace and timing. Finally, I tried Herbie’s Fat Grounding Bases under the composite feet. This time there was no darkening of tonal balance, but there was a significant loss of immediacy. Music lost the usual sense of liveliness and became a little dull.

So, I’m 0 for 3 in my experiments. Should I just call it a day and be happy with the balanced and resolved sound I’m now enjoying? Maybe I should, but I’m reluctant to give up just yet. A successful solution would not only protect the speakers against floor-borne vibration, but must allow resonant energy from the speaker itself to dissipate very effectively. That rapid dissipation is critical, I believe.

It would be great to hear from other Giya owners about your experiments, whatever the results.

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
I'm using Revopod, it's surely not the best, but it's easy to push the speaker for cleaning. I do not find lost of treble, but bass is more. It's all about matching your environment. Good luck and pls share more your experiences. stillpoints usually give better treble, maybe u can try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Opabin

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
Hi @Sa683s,
Your success with the Revopods is very interesting. I wonder why our results are so different. Could it be a difference in weight? My G3s weigh only 42 kg each; if you have G1s or G2s (can’t see in your discreet photo ), the added weight would place a heavier load on each footer. Would that one factor improve footer performance, do you think?

And thanks for your suggestion of Stillpoints, but I’m a bit cautious. Stillpoints often discussed on this forum, but seem to divide opinion like no other footer. For some, they’ve been a unique revelation, but many others claim they cause undesirable tonal shifts. Actually, I’m quite happy with the tonal balance and bass quality of my current setup with stock footers. It’s not more bass output or more treble that I’m after. The goal is better absorption of speaker enclosure and floor vibration, and reduction of noise.

Next, I’m going to try Symposium Acoustics Svelte Plus shelves under the stock footers. In fact, I just ordered a pair and will report the results when they arrive. Anyway, thanks for responding with your results and advice!

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
I'm using G3 with external cross over, maybe slightly lighter than yours. What kind of sofa are u using? As big sofa absorb lots of treble. What kind of speaker cable are u using pls? It hv major impact on sound signature, I use transparent G6 XL, which my wife said best match in my system. Can try HRS M3X2 on DAC & Pre, it will give u everything more, bigger sound stage, darker background and more details. It's all about match as I said before, not easy to find best solution by reading online. Hearing is believing. BTW, if money is not an objective, DiVinci power cord is not to miss, hardly can find a system not match.

Last edited:

Audio 1

Jul 18, 2022
Naples, FL
I am using the Isoacoustics Gaia 2 on my Vivid Giya G2S2 speakers.
For me there are no negatives. Improved soundstage and overall presentation.

Reactions: sbo6 and Opabin

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
I too used the Isoacoustics Gaia 2 on my Vivid Giya G2S2 speakers. I traded in the speakers and now have three sets of 4 footers that I am not using which I will eventually list for sale.

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
I'm using G3 with external cross over, maybe slightly lighter than yours. What kind of sofa are u using? As big sofa absorb lots of treble. What kind of speaker cable are u using pls? It hv major impact on sound signature, I use transparent G6 XL, which my wife said best match in my system. Can try HRS M3X2 on DAC & Pre, it will give u everything more, bigger sound stage, darker background and more details. It's all about match as I said before, not easy to find best solution by reading online. Hearing is believing. BTW, if money is not an objective, DiVinci power cord is not to miss, hardly can find a system not match.

Surprised! That's the Vivid-designed external crossover? I didn’t know it was also available for the G3.

It sounds like you have chosen some impressive components and I’m happy to hear they’re working well for you. My system is in the living room and while it does occupy a considerable amount of space, there are limits to what I feel entitled to do. For example, despite the improvement the external crossover may bring, it would not be compact enough to work in my space. Sad, but I have to accept it.:( That said, I have some diffusion treatment, a soft 2-seat sofa and my listening chair, and it doesn't sound bad at all.

To answer your question, my G3s are passively bi-amped from Nagra Classic Amps using ZenWave UPOCC silver ribbon SSR-14 cables on the bass terminals and ZenWave UPOCC silver/gold alloy S4-17 cables on the mid/treble post. I’m also running LessLoss Firewall for Loudspeakers inline on all terminals.

I'm not looking to make wholesale changes now as the system is sounding pretty good. I’d prefer to find elements I can improve one by one and the current focus is the speaker-floor interface. I hope I can increase vibration absorption there without upsetting the balance of the speaker. Any footer or platform that results in a big increase in bass or a loss of PRaT is not what I’m looking for. The goal is increased transparency and immediacy, more palpable dimensionality and more convincing soundstage, more natural flow.

I agree with your comment on the importance of matching components and the difficulty of doing so with so many variables. I wish I could get a free demo loan of all the components I'm interested in, but that’s not the case here. So while the at-home audition remains the deciding point for new components, gathering online reports to help pre-screen those auditions will continue to be useful, I believe.

Reactions: Sa683s

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
I am using the Isoacoustics Gaia 2 on my Vivid Giya G2S2 speakers.
For me there are no negatives. Improved soundstage and overall presentation.

Hi Audio 1,
Thanks for your reply. I’m intrigued to read your positive take on Gaia footers, “…there are no negatives.” I have read mostly positive accounts from Isoacoustics users but previously, I could never get past their bulky profile. Silly objection, I know. But the slim Gaia models are much better looking IMO.

I assume you are using 6 Gaia per speaker. Did you make any allowance for using 6 instead of the usual 4 footers when making the weight calculation for your Gaia model? Giya woofers face left and right, so do you still have the Gaia logo facing the listener?

Did you compare the Gaia with any other brands when making your choice? Many thanks for any further comments.

Audio 1

Jul 18, 2022
Naples, FL
Hi Audio 1,
Thanks for your reply. I’m intrigued to read your positive take on Gaia footers, “…there are no negatives.” I have read mostly positive accounts from Isoacoustics users but previously, I could never get past their bulky profile. Silly objection, I know. But the slim Gaia models are much better looking IMO.

I assume you are using 6 Gaia per speaker. Did you make any allowance for using 6 instead of the usual 4 footers when making the weight calculation for your Gaia model? Giya woofers face left and right, so do you still have the Gaia logo facing the listener?

Did you compare the Gaia with any other brands when making your choice? Many thanks for any further comments.
Cosmetically I think they look good in my room.
I am using 6 per speaker and my dealer was involved with the selection for the correct model.
The logo’s are facing forward and I did not compare other brands. The Gaia footers worked well with previous speakers I owned, so dealing with a comparison did not interest me.
I am using the companion carpet spikes and they do nicely stabilize the speakers on my floor.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The goal is increased transparency and immediacy, more palpable dimensionality and more convincing soundstage, more natural flow.

It looks like you are describing Critical Mass System's products, loudspeaker footers included.

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
It looks like you are describing Critical Mass System's products, loudspeaker footers included.

@JackD201
Haha, oh really? I swear I didn’t crib from CMS marketing materials! ;) I do actually use and like CenterStage footers under my DAC and reclocker. The new LS loudspeaker footers look interesting as well.

But…
It’s my understanding an important requirement for proper operation of the CenterStage design is that the top surface of the footer must sit flush in direct contact with the main body of the component or in this case, the bottom surface of the speaker. Apparently, the quality of this contact is crucial to ensure the efficient transfer of vibrational energy from the speaker into the footer. (Have I got that right?)

The challenge with the Giya is there is nothing like a flat surface on the bottom to mate with the flat top of the LS footer. The bottom carbon fibre plate is a complex 3D shape to accommodate the bi-wire speaker terminals, and the stock feet mounting holes are recessed into the rim of the monocoque enclosure. The stock feet are a snug fit at less than an inch in diameter. If you set out to design a speaker that could NOT be used with CMS CenterStage LS footers, you couldn’t do much better than this bottom plate.

Now maybe the match is possible, but I’ve been looking and haven’t yet heard of any Giya owner using CMS feet or seen any photos. Have you tried the LS footers on a Giya, Jack? Or has anyone? If you have, please reply and tell us how it's going. With the challenges posed by this idiosyncratic speaker, I would be most interested in hearing from someone with actual experience with this matchup and the challenges involved.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
First off, I really like your speakers. I've listened to G1s and Spirits at length in Japan when visiting the HQ of TechDAS :)

Interesting challenge! No Opabin you would indeed be the first Vivid owner I know of to use CMS speaker footers. What I know is that what you say of the CS footers is true of audio equipment. For the speaker footers CMS will supply you with thread adapters to go where your stock spikes or footers are attached to your speakers. Transmission goes through the bolts not the cabinet surface per se. Given that there is that challenging recessed portion of the carbon plate it looks like they would have to machine a special adapter and not just a bolt with two differently sized threads on either side.

I tried to look for images of the bottom plate just now and also looked at the manual with no luck. I would feel a bout of audiophilia nervosa coming on if I used an adapter/M8 bolt that left an empty cavity in the base plate where the top of the footer meets the plate and the bolt goes into the plate. A PM to Joe perhaps?

I'm waiting on Leif and Damon to figure out how to transition my Ultra 11s from the skirt n casters to the big LS footers. The challenge will be removing the skirt without damaging the cabinet finish. New Ultra 11s can be ordered without the skirt and LS footers as part of the package as is the case with the Ultra 7s just launched.

Early adopter problems LOL

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
Surprised! That's the Vivid-designed external crossover? I didn’t know it was also available for the G3.

It sounds like you have chosen some impressive components and I’m happy to hear they’re working well for you. My system is in the living room and while it does occupy a considerable amount of space, there are limits to what I feel entitled to do. For example, despite the improvement the external crossover may bring, it would not be compact enough to work in my space. Sad, but I have to accept it.:( That said, I have some diffusion treatment, a soft 2-seat sofa and my listening chair, and it doesn't sound bad at all.

To answer your question, my G3s are passively bi-amped from Nagra Classic Amps using ZenWave UPOCC silver ribbon SSR-14 cables on the bass terminals and ZenWave UPOCC silver/gold alloy S4-17 cables on the mid/treble post. I’m also running LessLoss Firewall for Loudspeakers inline on all terminals.

I'm not looking to make wholesale changes now as the system is sounding pretty good. I’d prefer to find elements I can improve one by one and the current focus is the speaker-floor interface. I hope I can increase vibration absorption there without upsetting the balance of the speaker. Any footer or platform that results in a big increase in bass or a loss of PRaT is not what I’m looking for. The goal is increased transparency and immediacy, more palpable dimensionality and more convincing soundstage, more natural flow.

I agree with your comment on the importance of matching components and the difficulty of doing so with so many variables. I wish I could get a free demo loan of all the components I'm interested in, but that’s not the case here. So while the at-home audition remains the deciding point for new components, gathering online reports to help pre-screen those auditions will continue to be useful, I believe.
Free to try, move the sofa away, only single seat 8n listening area, it might surprise you. I understand we hv lots to compensate in life. But it's free to try.
u can also use Nordost's CD to check which frequencies is spike, then u can hv a clearer idea what to do in ur room, diffuse or absorb or both.
My listening area is small too. I just waited years for G3 to hv external cross over then to buy, as hole is too small and hard to reach to try different speaker cable. Nagra is excellent gear, HD is my dream too. Hope u can squeeze more potential out from G3 soon.

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
@JackD201
Haha, oh really? I swear I didn’t crib from CMS marketing materials! ;) I do actually use and like CenterStage footers under my DAC and reclocker. The new LS loudspeaker footers look interesting as well.

But…
It’s my understanding an important requirement for proper operation of the CenterStage design is that the top surface of the footer must sit flush in direct contact with the main body of the component or in this case, the bottom surface of the speaker. Apparently, the quality of this contact is crucial to ensure the efficient transfer of vibrational energy from the speaker into the footer. (Have I got that right?)

The challenge with the Giya is there is nothing like a flat surface on the bottom to mate with the flat top of the LS footer. The bottom carbon fibre plate is a complex 3D shape to accommodate the bi-wire speaker terminals, and the stock feet mounting holes are recessed into the rim of the monocoque enclosure. The stock feet are a snug fit at less than an inch in diameter. If you set out to design a speaker that could NOT be used with CMS CenterStage LS footers, you couldn’t do much better than this bottom plate.

Now maybe the match is possible, but I’ve been looking and haven’t yet heard of any Giya owner using CMS feet or seen any photos. Have you tried the LS footers on a Giya, Jack? Or has anyone? If you have, please reply and tell us how it's going. With the challenges posed by this idiosyncratic speaker, I would be most interested in hearing from someone with actual experience with this matchup and the challenges involved.
CMS LS footer is surely good choice, but it have an issue on G3 , it's height, maybe too high on my case. Also my wife don't prefer the sound signature of CMS. But I have hear this LS, to me, it's good and a bargain price product from CMS.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes indeed height can be an issue.

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
First off, I really like your speakers. I've listened to G1s and Spirits at length in Japan when visiting the HQ of TechDAS :)

Jack, your comment triggered a nostalgic memory. While I’ve never been to Stella Inc. HQ, I did live in Tokyo and attended the huge Stella room at Tokyo International Audio Show every year, which is where I first heard and fell for the GIYA G2. As a TechDAS importer, you must be well acquainted with all the staff at Stella. I spoke with Mr. Nishikawa a number of times and though I was just a small fish among his many customers, he surprised me by always remembering my name. A real gentleman and a brilliant and passionate designer. So it is thanks to Nishikawa-sensei and his discriminating taste that I had the good luck to encounter the GIYA and meet Laurence and Philip.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh for sure! The highlight was always the Sushi with Nishikawa-san's master sushi chef / golf buddy after our visits. Motofumi-san is who I am in contact with regularly. I'll be seeing the TechDAS gang at the HK audio show in a couple of weeks. I hope I can attend the launch of the Airforce 10 arm this September.

What was it like living in Tokyo? OMG one of the top foodie cities in the world!

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I've had great success with Hifistay footers under my Wilson Benesch speakers and subs - might be worth a try.

Reactions: Golum

Opabin

Feb 25, 2023
Canada
I've had great success with Hifistay footers under my Wilson Benesch speakers and subs - might be worth a try.

Hello, and thanks for your suggestion. Hifistay certainly has an intriguing range of beautifully engineered products. Could you tell us which models you are using and how you made your choice? Did you have a chance to audition your possible choices before purchase?

One of the issues I have to consider is the tightly constrained space around the G3 footer mounting points, as I tried to describe in post #11 above. The stock feet are only about 22 mm diameter and fit easily into the narrow recesses around the mounting holes. But your typical 2-inch/5 cm diameter footer simply will not fit if the top has to be in contact with the speaker enclosure.

IMG_1254.jpeg
Giya G3 recessed mounting point (silver color) with foot removed.

In your experience, which Hifistay footer would install successfully in such a narrow mount? Do they make such a slim profile model? It’s a little difficult to tell from the Hifistay website.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing