Good DAC/Preamp for actives ATC SCM50 ASLT?

superelmar

Oct 14, 2022
Hi there guys! new here...

Well I'm enjoying so much my ATC SCM50 ASLT with a SPL Director MKII and SPL Phonos, but would like to go another path...

Now I'm testing AURALiC Vega G2.1 which is pretty awesome! But I wonder myself if I'd win anything adding a true preamp like ATC SCA-2 or C2700/C53 from McIntosh would benefit SQ or... Go for a Lampizator Baltic 3 plus a streamer from Lumin or Innuos and a small phono stage for the Stabi R and 4 point 9" tonearm.

I'd like to keep small form factor cause till 2024 our new home won't be finished.

I'm liking the idea of AURALiC approach one box solution and adding a phono stage like Lukascheck or small one.

Thing is a miss tubes sometimes from my mastersound, that's why the Lampizator DAC PREAMP.

Thank U all!

dorch

Apr 8, 2020
I have active ATCs and they have an input impedance which is not as high as many dedicated power amps. I have found some DACs connected directly are not wholly comfortable with this . So having a device (pre-amp or similar) that provides a high impedance for the source and a very low impedance to the ATC certainly helps in my system.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I saw someone post Aries Cerat incito-S with Kassandra II ref dac (not sure the streamer) running active ATC speakers and was extremely delighted in cloud 9. Being a fan of Aries Cerat products (after playing to so many gears), I am not surprised and if you can get one that should be it.

Reactions: superelmar

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Yet another guy I know runs his 100 ASLs directly with an Ideon Absolute (close to 1W output, so no difficulty driving the load). Currently, I drive my amp through a passive attenuator.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I'd like not to spend more than 10K€ buying the DAC and Streamer.
I would take a look at a good separate preamp. I would look at either tube-based gear, or warmer sounding. You might want to check out our iDSD PRO Signature as your D/A converter. We would be thrilled if you would give us a shot :) It can use tubes or just semiconductors and is a pretty decent pre on it's own (but separate is a separate...) :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You might also consider Lampizator Amber 4. The iFi iwill do just about anything digital in a small package and a decent price.

superelmar

Oct 14, 2022
I would take a look at a good separate preamp. I would look at either tube-based gear, or warmer sounding. You might want to check out our iDSD PRO Signature as your D/A converter. We would be thrilled if you would give us a shot :) It can use tubes or just semiconductors and is a pretty decent pre on it's own (but separate is a separate...) :)

why not? my very first attempt to “hi-fi” was with the studio 50, and it was all I need!!!

Is the preamp analog, VC and so?

I’ll try here in Spain to ask for a demo!

Last edited:
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Baltic is higher up the tree. Amber is the entry level i believe.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
why not? my very first attempt to “hi-fi” was with the studio 50, and it was all I need!!!

Is the preamp analog, VC and so?

I’ll try here in Spain to ask for a demo!
We are happy to hear that you liked the Studio 50!

The preamp is analogue, using a high-quality potentiometer with remote control. Super convenient if you ask me :)

Vinyl Valet

Dec 17, 2016
Tempe, AZ
I'm very happy with a Weiss DAC501 directly driving my ATC SCM50ASLT speakers. A friend of mine is doing the same and is equally happy. Excellent headphone output and many useful DSP functions as well.

My DAC501 is connected directly to wired ethernet. Very simple and clean solution.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
I have obtained excellent results with ATC SCM 20 actives using a Jeff Rowland preamp. I have also enjoyed a lot at a friend's house listening his ATC 100 actives with a Rowland preamplifier.
All the best.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Me too, but even more curious if AMR is going to come back to the hifi market with a high end CD and/or DAC with tubes! IFi is fantastic quality midfi gear - but the old 777 AMR stuff was UBER!
DACs with tubes are great, not to mention high-end CDs. Something is in the works. What is your potential wishlist? What features would you like to see?

mg248

Mar 24, 2021
DACs with tubes are great, not to mention high-end CDs. Something is in the works. What is your potential wishlist? What features would you like to see?
I didn't know the AMR products aren't sold anymore. I'd be interested in a successor of the DP-777SE. Something that excels at Redbook from a CD transport, but also Highres/DSD from a server.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing