Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

Mar 9, 2020
I thought Alan Parsons Project might have gotten more than a mention here. I measure any system by a 1983 original master by Andrew Powell and the Philiharmonic orchestra playing AP, because of the dynamic range, number of instruments in play and engineering

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
There are countless interesting & useful vinyl discs for assessing hifi gear. But a single convenient reference for me over the last decade has been the Thorens 125th Anniversary disc set. Three LPs, quiet surfaces; excellent pressing and mastering. Genres span classical, blues, pop vocals, R&B, jazz. It was a limited production set, so now scarce. But if you come across one, snag it. Thorens: 1883 - 2008, 125.

Phil

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 26, 2015
Eastern WA
Since I listen for different things than many... I really like ZZ Top Eliminator: 9 23774-1 . Vinyl only. If that confuses you then you are missing a lot of subtle information in your stereo. It has elements of PRAT that matters, harmonics, decay, lots of shifts in volume that most stereos aren't great at, etc. It's kinda crazy how much is actually going on in it.

Last edited:

APP

Oct 2, 2014
Since I listen for different things than many... I really like ZZ Top Eliminator: 9 23774-1 . Vinyl only. If that confuses you then you are missing a lot of subtle information in your stereo. It has elements of PRAT that matters, harmonics, decay, lots of shifts in volume that most stereos aren't great at, etc. It's kinda crazy how much is actually going on in it.
Why Vinyl Only?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing