Greetings from JackD201

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi folks, I'm Jack D your World Music Moderator. A little about myself......

I grew up surrounded by music lovers. My mother was is a pianist and my older brother who may be lurking around here was the first audiophile I ever met. I grew up with good equipment, Thorens, Marantz, and AR of my folks and full Revox systems of my bro. It was just a given really that someone would have music playing and playing pleasingly. In those days however I was more like my Dad and preferred being outdoors. I've always liked gadgets and music and in High School I was asked by my cousins to join their DJ outfit. The offer to get to stay out late, meet lots of girls and get paid for it was difficult to refuse! I got really into the technical side as well as the musical side of things and particularly enjoyed being the set up and tuning guy. I learned about Ohms Law from this, not in school. All that setting up and tearing down also turned me into some sort of human ray tracer :)

When we went to college, roughly the same time the CD came out, we folded up our crew. This era also coincided with the rise of the dreaded Pro-Logic and I set up my first VERY modest multichannel system anchored by a 19" CRT and Pioneer's cheapest receiver. I upgraded bit by bit but noticed that I was listening to music a lot more than watching Laser Discs so I decided to channel my efforts into 2 channel audio instead.

Fast forward a few years and I was tired of riding a desk. My interest in moving images and sound led me to want to explore possibilities for upgrading the post production facilities in two of our main businesses, GMA Network (TV, Film, Radio) and Filmex (TV commercials). With the blessings of the bosses I went to Full Sail in Orlando, Florida so I could get my hands dirty even if my goal was to be on the business side of things rather than an actual engineer. There I was certified for Recording Engineering, Midi, Digital Audio Workstations and Design and Construction of Critical Listening Environments under WSDG's John Storyk. I pretty much learned my way around the SSL 9000J, Neve VR, AMS-Neve Capricorn and got handy with Protools. Recording is definitely fun but Mixing was and will forever be my favorite.

Upon my return, I was shocked to have been drafted into public service. I ran for a Congressional seat in 2001, won, and am now finishing of my third and last 3 year term. Over here we have term limits for the legislature and not just the executive. In congress I chaired Intellectual Property Rights and in Appropriations handled the budgets for Communications and Information Technology, The Public Housing Sector and Tourism. My advocacy however is still modern waste management tied in with urban agriculture in order to combat the greatest factor leading to poor performance of students in our country, malnutrition. Areas I will continue to pursue but from the NGO side this time as I am frankly tired of the red tape.

Needing a release from the stress of public service I went heavily into building up my system. So much so that I, along with my cousin and partner Keith, began seeking out brands that we loved but were not available here. Not wanting to buy gray, we decided to distribute the products we really, really liked. It turned out to be a dangerous thing. As our network grew and our relationships with fellow distributors through cross dealerships solidified into a loose consortium, suddenly our access to great gear multiplied exponentially. Our clients in turn, opened our eyes to so many new musical avenues. The last six years has been a really great ride.

I'll be taking a 6 month rest hopefully to get my handicap down to where it was pre-politics, get at least 2 seedling farms operational and then start in earnest my plan to re-enter the world of entertainment content with a focus on creating and publishing graphic novels and eventually, 2D animation.

This is the 3rd forum in which I am a moderator. In the others my role is to handle the more technical sections so when asked by Steve I asked for the World Music forum. I did so because my country is the cultural melting pot of our region. We were under Spain for 400 years, The US for almost 50 and Japan for almost a decade. You can say it really is where east meets west and influences in art and culture are tightly woven. It is from this perspective that I hope to be able to contribute to this young community of ours comprised of many veterans I've come to respect in other fora.

If you guys are wondering how I ever find the time to be online, well I'm an insomniac and my best talent has got to be that of delegation :p:p:p Seriously though, it's always easy to make time for things you really enjoy and I definitely am enjoying whatsbestforum.com

I'll get around to posting my system eventually :eek:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
we are lucky to have you as a moderator here Jack.

I met Jack at wiredstate.com, a Philippine based audio site. I joined the forum when I was just getting into the audio hobby, Jack and ttommy (a NY based Fil-Am audiophile) were like heaven sent for a curious newbie like me. While Jack calls me a friend, I think am more of a fan, this is because I know we were not cut from the same cloth. He came from one of the most affluent families in the country, smart, well educated and a respected politician, and yet Jack treats me (an ordinary Joe) and other newbies as his friend/equal... Jack stood by me when I was personally attacked by a fellow forumer at WS.

while I am not really your typical audiophile who relish being at audio forums, I always make it a point to join the forum recommended to me by Jack... only because I know it is a good place to be, and I will be in good company.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
@kach

More of a writer but yes I'm doing the concept art, pencil and ink. It'll be turned over to an excellent local penciler and inker later. We'll be doing ink scanned and color by computer by a firm that does industrial designs for quite a few european companies. It will also be mixed with a bit of near IR photographic elements to portray the lead character's point of view

@dimfer

You make me blush buddy! Can't wait for your next trip here. So how was Maui?

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
@kach

More of a writer but yes I'm doing the concept art, pencil and ink. It'll be turned over to an excellent local penciler and inker later. We'll be doing ink scanned and color by computer by a firm that does industrial designs for quite a few european companies. It will also be mixed with a bit of near IR photographic elements to portray the lead character's point of view

@dimfer

You make me blush buddy! Can't wait for your next trip here. So how was Maui?

:cool::cool:

you will have to wait for a while for my next visit, as there is no plan yet - so many other places we want to see.. Hawaii trip will be at the end of June

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing