Grimm Audio MU2 "Major Dac"

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
Grimm audio posted a technical article of their new DAC design for the MU2 being shown at Munich. It appears to be a unique design that shares some of the advantages of single bit processing along with the advantages of PWM.

Grimm Audio MU2 Major DAC

***Dealer***

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
see 16:18

rrohland

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2022
Star of death
Presentation of the MU2 in Munich:

IMG_5805.jpeg

IMG_5806.jpeg

Very natural sound. Spectacular room.

Reactions: PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA

rrohland

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2022
Star of death

Reactions: Miki70 and PYP

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
see 16:18

Great video on some of the attributes of the Grimm. if all goes as planned our dealer is bringing is bringing over a Grimm MU1 on Wednesday. We will see how it does against our Aurender N30SA.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Great video on some of the attributes of the Grimm. if all goes as planned our dealer is bringing is bringing over a Grimm MU1 on Wednesday. We will see how it does against our Aurender N30SA.
It takes at least one day of being on to warm up (best to keep it on during the entire demo period). Being a DDC as well as a streamer (Roon only until a software update in a month or so), it will be interesting how it plays with your superlative DAC. Looking forward to reading about your observations.

Reactions: Audire

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Grimm Audio have one standalone DAC the UC1.
Does someone know if they will offer the DAC in the MU2 also as standalone DAC, maybe as replacement for the UC1?
Thx

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
They concur with Hans B. about the effortless engagement, surprising bass and facility with vocals. The Alpha Audio review also pointed out the ability to portray acoustic instruments naturally, comparing it their usual R2R DAC, as well as commenting on the transparency of the preamp (better than their Pass preamp). Makes me want to listen in my own system even though I'm completely happy with it as is.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
Alpha Audio has posted their written review of the MU2.
It might be a bit over the top when they start with "How do you describe the love for your child?" :) But I'm definitely intrigued.

Reactions: PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Alpha Audio has posted their written review of the MU2.
It might be a bit over the top when they start with "How do you describe the love for your child?" :) But I'm definitely intrigued.
Hyperbole used in a review of audio equipment? Outrageous! Just kidding. Agree that image is a bit over the top (hope his wife doesn't read the review :) )

It is interesting to me that the MU1 has a 4fs oversampling option (the limit that can be used with AES cable?) and the MU2 has a 8fs oversampling rate (if I have that correct). With my DAC, there was a very noticeable difference among the 0, 2, 4fs options. The music becomes more organic as one progresses up the options (again, with my DAC; other DACs seem to respond better to other options).

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Yes, Eelco or someone from Grimm Audio did confirm that it’s 8fs internally. Probably to match the requirement of their Major Dac / 1.5 bit topology.

A big part of the subjective review is in the YT video.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Agree that image is a bit over the top (hope his wife doesn't read the review :) )
Yes, this passage of the review is vastly over the top. As much as I like the guys from AA they seem not to have much experience with really TOTL devices in this category. I am looking forward to the review of Christiaan Punter from HFA about MU2 which is in the works. He is listening also to some competitors like Antipodes Audio and Taiko.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Yes, this passage of the review is vastly over the top. As much as I like the guys from AA they seem not to have much experience with really TOTL devices in this category. I am looking forward to the review of Christiaan Punter from HFA about MU2 which is in the works. He is listening also to some competitors like Antipodes Audio and Taiko.
that will be interesting. Of course, the only way to understand it fully is to try it in my own setup.

Reactions: matthias

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Christiaan / HiFi-Advice review is out. A balanced and thorough review, imo, that explores the server, DAC and preamp aspects of the MU2.

Last edited:
Reactions: matthias and PYP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing