GT AUDIO WORKS AXPONA 2019 RM 1430

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I spoke to Steve Rabitz from GT Audio Works who confirmed they will be exhibiting at Axpona from April 12 - 14th with Zanden Audio in room 1430. They have a much smaller room than at CAF, so they will be demo'ing the GTA3r planar/ribbon panels with the smaller SI200 servo subwoofers which comprise 2 x 12 inch servo subs per side.

The unique thing about the GTA3r speakers is the main 72" planar ribbon drivers are crossoverless, with just a single capacitor used on the pure ribbon tweeter. And the panels they're bringing to Axpona will feature upgraded V Cap OIMP capacitors which Steve said sound much more open, transparent and detailed. So this will be a do not miss room!

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
He has a Viola Symphony stereo amp 200wpc and a Coincident Statement line Stage, not sure what phono stage he uses.
Yes, I will be using a Viola Symphony, Coincident Statement Line Stage Mk II(the new line stage will be shipped to me with the speakers), and Channel D Lino C phono fronted by a Lyra Etna. Current preamp is a Berning Pre One prototype with phono/Jensen step-ups. I'm no longer using the Berning's internal phono as the Lino C has replaced it.

John

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Yes, I will be using a Viola Symphony, Coincident Statement Line Stage Mk II(the new line stage will be shipped to me with the speakers), and Channel D Lino C phono fronted by a Lyra Etna. Current preamp is a Berning Pre One prototype with phono/Jensen step-ups. I'm no longer using the Berning's internal phono as the Lino C has replaced it.
I should add that I will also be adding Sound Insight's SI200 subwoofer system at the same time. Just talked to Steve and it sounds like they'll be ready to ship very soon. I'm really excited about the new speakers, new subs, and new linestage. I'll also be going down to Axpona so I hope to meet some of the WBF members.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I should add that I will also be adding Sound Insight's SI200 subwoofer system at the same time. Just talked to Steve and it sounds like they'll be ready to ship very soon. I'm really excited about the new speakers, new subs, and new linestage. I'll also be going down to Axpona so I hope to meet some of the WBF members.
Congratulations John on your new linestage and GT Audio/Sound Insight speaker system! Keep us up to date & pls post some pics when they're up and running! :cool:

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Thanks so much Bodhi! I will defiinitely be posting pics and probably a video on Sound Insight's FB page.

Question for you. I see one of your front end components is a SCD-025 Mk2. My digital source is a SCD-010. What can you tell about the differences between the two models? Also, as I used to be the Ops Mgr at Stillpoints, I have a fully Stillpoint'd system. I'll be moving Ultra 5's under my current speakers to the new GTA3rs.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks so much Bodhi! I will defiinitely be posting pics and probably a video on Sound Insight's FB page.

Question for you. I see one of your front end components is a SCD-025 Mk2. My digital source is a SCD-010. What can you tell about the differences between the two models? Also, as I used to be the Ops Mgr at Stillpoints, I have a fully Stillpoint'd system. I'll be moving Ultra 5's under my current speakers to the new GTA3rs.
YW John :). This review of the SCD-025Mk2 by Wojciech Pacula discusses the differences between the SCD-010 and SCD-025Mk1, and further improvements in the SCD-025Mk2. From my own experience and discussions with HOV, I can tell you the SCD-025Mk2 is a significant upgrade over the Mk1 and includes an improved psu, new upgradeable master clock manufactured in-house by Vitus, new EngineeRED (formerly Anagram Technologies) Q8 stereo synchro-upsampler which handles 2xDSD and converts PCM to 24/384 kHz, new I/V converter, new analogue modules etc and is basically a whole new beast.

Hans said the Mk2 is in a "totally different league...almost at the point where I could live without my analog rig". I asked Hans about the size of the improvement (over the Mk1) and he said "..about 50% i would say. The finesse is just so much better, it is like listening to a techdas airforce one with thales tonearm and dynavector x1s cartridge linked to our masterpiece phono. It was quite scary to be honest as I have publicly claimed digital will never get close to analog.. it would seem I am proving myself wrong - lol".

Re: footers. As i'm sure you're aware, the U5's work best under heavy loudspeakers. That said, It is system-dependent. Magico for example design their speakers to be coupled directly to the floor, hence in that case the Magico SPods (which use constrained layer damping, whilst directly coupling the speaker to the floor) are a better solution than Stillpoints (which are a decoupling device).

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

John, I’m sure I don’t have to convince you of anything with regards to Ultra 5s but I can say that of all the components and speakers I have used them under they worked at their absolute best under large ribbon panels (in my case Maggie 20.7s). They gave valuable extension top and bottom, even more clarity and the coherence of the ribbons really just came through with even greater command and verve. Perfect.

Really love the idea of your new GTA3s..., sounds like you’ve got a whole lot a fun ahead of you. Congratulations.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
YW John :). This review of the SCD-025Mk2 by Wojciech Pacula discusses the differences between the SCD-010 and SCD-025Mk1, and further improvements in the SCD-025Mk2. From my own experience and discussions with HOV, I can tell you the SCD-025Mk2 is a significant upgrade over the Mk1 and includes an improved psu, new upgradeable master clock manufactured in-house by Vitus, new EngineeRED (formerly Anagram Technologies) Q8 stereo synchro-upsampler which handles 2xDSD and converts PCM to 24/384 kHz, new I/V converter, new analogue modules etc and is basically a whole new beast.

Hans said the Mk2 is in a "totally different league...almost at the point where I could live without my analog rig". I asked Hans about the size of the improvement (over the Mk1) and he said "..about 50% i would say. The finesse is just so much better, it is like listening to a techdas airforce one with thales tonearm and dynavector x1s cartridge linked to our masterpiece phono. It was quite scary to be honest as I have publicly claimed digital will never get close to analog.. it would seem I am proving myself wrong - lol".

Re: footers. As i'm sure you're aware, the U5's work best under heavy loudspeakers. That said, It is system-dependent. Magico for example design their speakers to be coupled directly to the floor, hence in that case the Magico SPods (which use constrained layer damping, whilst directly coupling the speaker to the floor) are a better solution than Stillpoints (which are a decoupling device).
Bodhi, thanks much for the link and your insights RE the SCD models. During my tenure at Stillpoints I had the good fortune to meet and interact with Hans Ole at shows via the Vitus/Stillpoints relationship. Through our working relationship I was afforded the opportunity to acquire the 010 and jumped at the chance. Still glad I did. I had intended to upgrade to current status but it would have meant sending my unit back and I was told they would basically gut the 010 and replace virtually everything. To date my attentions, and available funds, have been diverted to other upgrades as evidenced by the new speaker system and line stage upgrades. The Etna is a significant part as well...

RE: Stillpoints/supports: Through the evolution of Stillpoints' development that led to the transition from aluminum to the current stainless products, we found that a fully treated system took a performance leap beyond the sum of all the parts. I utilize 2 - ESS, multiple U6s, U5s, Ultras, Ultra Minis, Ultra Bases and treat my room with Apertures plus other acoustic panels. Compared to many my system components are modest but their performance is, I feel, fully realized in no small measure due to Stillpoints. I know there are many products out there that I haven't explored but I'm fully confident in my recent upgrade decisions and choices and in the future may revisit equipment support alternatives.

And yes, I expect I have a plethora of fun days ahead implementing and enjoying these new upgrades. I just learned earlier this morning from my dealer, Steve Rabitz at Sound Insight, that he and Greg will be shipping on the 25th. Need I say WOOHOO?!!

Reactions: Bodhi

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
John, I’m sure I don’t have to convince you of anything with regards to Ultra 5s but I can say that of all the components and speakers I have used them under they worked at their absolute best under large ribbon panels (in my case Maggie 20.7s). They gave valuable extension top and bottom, even more clarity and the coherence of the ribbons really just came through with even greater command and verve. Perfect.

Really love the idea of your new GTA3s..., sounds like you’ve got a whole lot a fun ahead of you. Congratulations.
Hi Tao -
Not my intention to forget to acknowledge your contributions to this current discussion. In my excitement about today's shipping date news I just lost track of who wrote what. My bad...

I do anticipate that that the U5s will improve the performance of the GT speakers as will the Ultras and Bases I plan to use under the subs and sub servo amps. As I noted earlier my system is currently, and will with the new components, be fully Stillpoint'd.

Thanks again for your comments and congrats. I am really excited about the potential the new speaker system and electronics can bring!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That’s fantastic news... completely looking forward to hearing all about your new speakers when you get them in play. The approach of your ribbons with higher sensitivity and a minimal crossover has such fascinating potential. Definitely fully subscribed to any updates as they unfold. Very much understand your excitement.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN

Tao - I meant to address one more point RE your discussion of U5 performance under the 20.7s. I specifically asked Greg to upgrade the typically aluminum GTA3r speaker supports to stainless steel with 1/4-20 taps so I could use standard 1/4-20 set screws to attach the U5s. The upgrade to stainless(304?) + the U5s should really help the speaker's performance. I think Greg plans to either switch entirely to stainless supports or, at a minimum, offer them as an upgrade for additional expense. Using longer set screws will permit precise speaker leveling as well.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
John, nice detail move going the stainless supports. Also I’ve only heard Viola twice but was really impressed, great sound and I’d imagine having a DHT linestage up front would be a lovely match but was also thinking that given the sensitivity of your speakers could you consider trying a SET amp as well or do you know if the guys from GTA have ever tried a larger SET running their panels... to be honest I am probably just living out my fantasies vicariously through your setup but I have recently toyed with the notion of checking out the possibility of modding the Maggies magnets with rare earth neodymium ones and trying to get the sensitivity up so it could also then be SET friendly for my 48 watt LM508IA.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Tao - I meant to address one more point RE your discussion of U5 performance under the 20.7s. I specifically asked Greg to upgrade the typically aluminum GTA3r speaker supports to stainless steel with 1/4-20 taps so I could use standard 1/4-20 set screws to attach the U5s. The upgrade to stainless(304?) + the U5s should really help the speaker's performance. I think Greg plans to either switch entirely to stainless supports or, at a minimum, offer them as an upgrade for additional expense. Using longer set screws will permit precise speaker leveling as well.
That's interesting John. Magico use a similar solution for the S5 Mk2's, albeit using a 1.5" thick aluminium base with 4-point outriggers which provides similar strength, stability and height adjustment.

2.jpg

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
John, nice detail move going the stainless supports. Also I’ve only heard Viola twice but was really impressed, great sound and I’d imagine having a DHT linestage up front would be a lovely match but was also thinking that given the sensitivity of your speakers could you consider trying a SET amp as well or do you know if the guys from GTA have ever tried a larger SET running their panels... to be honest I am probably just living out my fantasies vicariously through your setup but I have recently toyed with the notion of checking out the possibility of modding the Maggies magnets with rare earth neodymium ones and trying to get the sensitivity up so it could also then be SET friendly for my 48 watt LM508IA.
Yes, the amp. Unfortunately, a while back I sold my 30watt/ch Berning ZH230 proto to help with funds to buy the Viola. I needed the extra horsepower to drive my current LaHave 2-ways which are relatively inefficient at 6 ohms. When I started down this path with Greg a couple of years ago I intended to take the Berning out to NJ and run it on his speakers so I'd know exactly its capability to drive the speakers. At 11 or so lbs, I could have carried it on to a plane so it would have been easy enough to do. Never got there, though.

Have you investigated the effort to mod the Maggies as you suggest? Since I don't have a clue what that would entail I am really curious as to how one would accomplish the mod.

Attachments

• P8270045.JPG
    P8270045.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
That's interesting John. Magico use a similar solution for the S5 Mk2's, albeit using a 1.5" thick aluminium base with 4-point outriggers which provides similar strength, stability and height adjustment.

View attachment 48646

Yes, Magico's support solution works well for their speakers' design. As you note, it provides the correct support and ability to level/tilt the speaker precisely to really fine tune their position. I'm not sure enough people pay close attention and utilize a laser level to precisely position speakers. It makes a world of difference in results at the listening position(s), especially in the hot seat. The devil is always in the details!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yes, the amp. Unfortunately, a while back I sold my 30watt/ch Berning ZH230 proto to help with funds to buy the Viola. I needed the extra horsepower to drive my current LaHave 2-ways which are relatively inefficient at 6 ohms. When I started down this path with Greg a couple of years ago I intended to take the Berning out to NJ and run it on his speakers so I'd know exactly its capability to drive the speakers. At 11 or so lbs, I could have carried it on to a plane so it would have been easy enough to do. Never got there, though.

Have you investigated the effort to mod the Maggies as you suggest? Since I don't have a clue what that would entail I am really curious as to how one would accomplish the mod.
The idea of perhaps replacing with rare earth magnets really only came to me when I read about the GTA’s higher sensitivity a while back and this also coupled with how much I am loving the Line Magnetic’s qualities as an amp.

I haven’t looked into it yet as it’s really only been a recent notion and I’ve been fully focussed on getting my new horns up and am looking at crossover mods at the moment (I’m a guy so I can only do one thing at a time). I will check into if it’s at all feasible (and the costs) and if it’s not viable then I’ll certainly be reading your thoughts on how your new gta’s go with even more interest.

The option of having ribbons running on SET would quite likely be worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
GTAW will be teaming up with Sound Insight, Zanden Audio, and Semper Sonus turntables in Rm 1430.
Please do stop by for a listen and chat.
Bring your favorite recordings
https://www.gtaudioworks.com/
http://www.sound-insight.com/siteerror404.html
http://www.zandenaudio.com/jp/
https://sempersonus.com/

UPDATE....
We have a change in the lineup for Axpona.
Semper Sonus had to back out at this late date, due to a personal issue regarding the US distributor.

Bill Parish of GTT Audio was very kind to offer me a Kronos Sparta turntable to use at the show.
http://www.kronosaudio.com/sparta.html
WOW..What a looker !!
I hear it sounds fantastic.
Thanks Bill !!

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
UPDATE....
We have a change in the lineup for Axpona.
Semper Sonus had to back out at this late date, due to a personal issue regarding the US distributor.

Bill Parish of GTT Audio was very kind to offer me a Kronos Sparta turntable to use at the show.
http://www.kronosaudio.com/sparta.html
WOW..What a looker !!
I hear it sounds fantastic.
Thanks Bill !!
Wow, really looking forward to hearing the system through the Sparta. What cart will be used? I'll be bringing some vinyl for sure!

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
Wow, really looking forward to hearing the system through the Sparta. What cart will be used? I'll be bringing some vinyl for sure!
I'm not sure John..I left it up to Bill as to what cartridge he will use.
Greg

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Here is John's pair of upgraded GTA3r speakers + SI600 open baffle servo subwoofers in the listening room undergoing final testing prior to shipment. They look stunning in Corvette Cyber Grey Metallic finish, and the revised stainless steel legs and x-over location looks much nicer. Most importantly, Greg comments in the video "I think you've got the best sounding pair I've ever made". Congrats John!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing