Haydn: 2032 Project - 107 Symphonies

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting project...Il Giardino Armonico to record all 107 symphonies by 2032...6 CDs are out...obviously a ton more to come. Funded by the Joseph Haydn Foundation of Basel in honor of the 300th Anniversary of Joseph Haydn which takes place in 2032.

https://haydn2032.com/EN/

Very promising beginning and will be getting these to compare with the complete Decca Box (107 Symphonies) and the Adam Fischer (107 Symphonies)...stay tuned.

Reactions: ack

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You should also compare with the complete set by the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra directed by Dennis Russell Davies. I prefer it above the other complete sets (Dorati, Fischer) for insight, clarity and sound quality. It is also overall as energetic and muscular as the Dorati set on Decca, which has been my reference for decades.

Listening to the Stuttgart set has anew set afire my passion for Haydn. I'm addicted and listen practically every day.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you!!! I am big fan of BACH, HAYDN, HANDEL AND MUSSORGSKY in particular though I have loads of music including classical (listening to Bruch now).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you!!! I am big fan of BACH, HAYDN, HANDEL AND MUSSORGSKY in particular though I have loads of music including classical (listening to Bruch now).

For Bruch's Scottish Fantasia try Oistrakh, and Michael Rabin. For the Violin Concerto, try Joan Field and Erica Morini. Though dunno how the digital version is

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You should also compare with the complete set by the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra directed by Dennis Russell Davies. I prefer it above the other complete sets (Dorati, Fischer) for insight, clarity and sound quality. It is also overall as energetic and muscular as the Dorati set on Decca, which has been my reference for decades.

Listening to the Stuttgart set has anew set afire my passion for Haydn. I'm addicted and listen practically every day.

Have you heard any of the symphonies by Pinnock, Hogwood, Bruggen? Or this Haydn 2032 Project? I have ordered all 7 of the project based on listening to snips...will be interesting to hear them in full.

I am intrigued by the quality of recording/mastering of the Davies set...reviews seem to be very positive in this regard. At the same time, the Haydn2032 should deliver in this regards as well.

Thanks for any insight...Haydn is definitely one for whom owning several full sets is not a problem for me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For Bruch's Scottish Fantasia try Oistrakh, and Michael Rabin. For the Violin Concerto, try Joan Field and Erica Morini. Though dunno how the digital version is
I am listening to Bruch Scottish Fantasia Oistrach on a special FIM CD (the late great Winston Ma) now!

Reactions: bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

You're welcome, Lloyd, and thanks for starting this thread!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Have you heard any of the symphonies by Pinnock, Hogwood, Bruggen? Or this Haydn 2032 Project? I have ordered all 7 of the project based on listening to snips...will be interesting to hear them in full.

I am intrigued by the quality of recording/mastering of the Davies set...reviews seem to be very positive in this regard. At the same time, the Haydn2032 should deliver in this regards as well.

Thanks for any insight...Haydn is definitely one for whom owning several full sets is not a problem for me.

I have a Bruggen CD with the Farewell Symphony and others, and it does little for me. I did hear Pinnock, and found the interpretation mesmerizing. Too bad they cut him off from finishing the cycle.

There is also a cycle on Naxos with different orchestras and conductors, which has gotten rave reviews, inclduding on Amazon. One of the conductors, Nicholas Ward (?), has recorded also on Naxos fantastic performances of some Mozart symphonies that I love.

I want to try some CDs from the new project too.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

As I have already mentioned in the other thread one may also have a SM files wav 24/88,2 or 24/96 of Haydn 2032 serie from Qobuz.
Imho it is a better SQ than cds , I buy both files and cds and intend to get all recordings till 2032 if I am alive , of course;)

Attachments

• 6E494471-A852-4710-A121-2E863F8DFBDB.png
    6E494471-A852-4710-A121-2E863F8DFBDB.png
    838.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have a Bruggen CD with the Farewell Symphony and others, and it does little for me. I did hear Pinnock, and found the interpretation mesmerizing. Too bad they cut him off from finishing the cycle.

There is also a cycle on Naxos with different orchestras and conductors, which has gotten rave reviews, inclduding on Amazon. One of the conductors, Nicholas Ward (?), has recorded also on Naxos fantastic performances of some Mozart symphonies that I love.

I want to try some CDs from the new project too.
Thanks and good stuff...i did get Bruggen Strum und Drang series which I thought was good...it was rare but i found a set in japan for a very good price and vastly lower than locally.

I like the earlier symphonies from Adam Fischer...but am very interested in hearing the later symphonies by Haydn2032

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As I have already mentioned in the other thread one may also have a SM files wav 24/88,2 or 24/96 of Haydn 2032 serie from Qobuz.
Imho it is a better SQ than cds , I buy both files and cds and intend to get all recordings till 2032 if I am alive , of course;)

Thanks!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, looks very interesting. Do you know what formats are these albums? I see and 88/24 or 96/24 at HDTracks and also CD's and at least some are in vinyl. Not clear whether they were recorded in analogue or digital. Is the vinyl from digital masters and what resolution are the masters? It also looks like the most recent three volumes 5, 6, 7 were done with another orchestra. Looks of nice visuals on the website. Hard to easily see what symphonies are available in each volume. Thanks.

Larry

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thanks, looks very interesting. Do you know what formats are these albums? I see and 88/24 or 96/24 at HDTracks and also CD's and at least some are in vinyl. Not clear whether they were recorded in analogue or digital. Is the vinyl from digital masters and what resolution are the masters? It also looks like the most recent three volumes 5, 6, 7 were done with another orchestra. Looks of nice visuals on the website. Hard to easily see what symphonies are available in each volume. Thanks.

Larry
I also ask myself about the native sampling rate of Haydn 2032 recordings.
As I buy very often hires from Qobuz I assume they offer Studio Master files .
Whether the original recording is wave or flac is not clear to me but I belong to the camp of those who prefer wave over flac.

I try to avoid any manipulation of the signal be it conversion or upsampling and I hope that if Qobuz offers wave that is not converted from flac.
This is what they declare on their website.

I stopped to buy from HDtracks many years ago, one cannot be sure about the quality of the offered files, there are rumours that their different formats are prepared with Jriver and no one knows what is the rate of the native recording.
I buy instead from eclassical or nativedsd who inform about the native sampling rate of the offered recordings, sometimes also about the technical specification of the equipment.

As I do not buy vinyls of Haydn 2032 I did not pay attention how they are pressed.

Attachments

• 442FDFAF-F6CF-42E4-BD76-B4BCD15BCA28.png
    442FDFAF-F6CF-42E4-BD76-B4BCD15BCA28.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I also ask myself about the native sampling rate of Haydn 2032 recordings.
As I buy very often hires from Qobuz I assume they offer Studio Master files .
Whether the original recording is wave or flac is not clear to me but I belong to the camp of those who prefer wave over flac.

I try to avoid any manipulation of the signal be it conversion or upsampling and I hope that if Qobuz offers wave that is not converted from flac.
This is what they declare on their website.

I stopped to buy from HDtracks many years ago, one cannot be sure about the quality of the offered files, there are rumours that their different formats are prepared with Jriver and no one knows what is the rate of the native recording.
I buy instead from eclassical or nativedsd who inform about the native sampling rate of the offered recordings, sometimes also about the technical specification of the equipment.

As I do not buy vinyls of Haydn 2032 I did not pay attention how they are pressed.

Thanks, I will take a look at Qobuz. I checked out HD Tracks, but never have bought anything from them either. I buy from NativeDSD, but just their mch albums (like Channel Classics). I will see whether the Haydn Symphonies were native DSD or not.

Larry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/haydn-2032-–-no-3-solo-e-pensoso-no-4-il-distratto

From Gramophone on one of the albums:

"As in the previous volumes, the orchestral performance is breathtaking in its accuracy – the sort of Haydn-playing you dream of. They’ve set themselves another 15 years to complete this cycle (fingers crossed), and if we’re all still around for the composer’s 2032 tercentenary, this may well become the period-instrument Haydn cycle by which all others are measured."

Reactions: marslo

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
For Bruch's Scottish Fantasia try Oistrakh, and Michael Rabin.
Keep Oistrakh and try Grumiaux instead of Rabin. Grumiaux/Wallbeg would give you a total contrast to the dramatic Oistrakh. The piece (Grumiaux/Wallbeg) can move your feeling from sadly sentimental to refreshingly cherished. His violin together with the orchestra is very delicate and tender yet majestically powerful. Performance wise I mean.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Keep Oistrakh and try Grumiaux instead of Rabin. Grumiaux/Wallbeg would give you a total contrast to the dramatic Oistrakh. The piece can move your feeling from sadly sentimental to refreshingly cherished. His violin together with the orchestra is very delicate and tender yet majestically powerful. Performance wise I mean.

Kind regards,
Tang

Possible. But I don't find Oistrakh sadly sentimental tang. If you listen on vinyl you will love the rise and fall of the orchestra, the orchestra is just fantastic on it and the integration of the violinist with the orchestra. So I just feel great after listening to it, not sad

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Possible. But I don't find Oistrakh sadly sentimental tang. If you listen on vinyl you will love the rise and fall of the orchestra, the orchestra is just fantastic on it and the integration of the violinist with the orchestra. So I just feel great after listening to it, not sad
I was not saying anything about Oistrakh Ked. Oisktrakh is dramatic and has all that you said. I am saying try Grumiaux instead of Rabin and you will get a good contrasting duo of Scottish Fantasia.

Tang :)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok will do.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't find any music or movie sad or sentimental. I find it good or bad. If sad movie is good I feel happy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing