He spent his life building a $1 million stereo. The real cost was unfathomable

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas

He spent his life building a $1 million stereo. The real cost was unfathomable.​

I saw the article headline above in today’s Washington Post and had to read it.

In some ways, I wish I hadn’t.

[I’m including the link here at the bottom of the post. I copied as a gift so that hopefully others can read it. Note: There’s an earlier related forum thread here on WBF “One Man's Dream - Ken Fritz Documentary” that describes in detail the construction of the system/room”.]

The article focuses in part on the underbelly (sadness and regrets) of Ken Fritz’s project. Sadness for ALS taking away Mr. Fritz’s ability to enjoy the fruits of his system longer.

But also the sadness and regret of the alleged “unfathomable cost” of the failed relationships with some of his family, especially his sons.

His obsession with his audiophile project meant little time for vacations or family time on weekends. And his sons being forced to work interminably on the project.

As Fritz himself says “‘I was a father pretty much in name,” Fritz told me. “I was not a typical father or a typical husband.’”

“The big blowup with [his estranged son] Kurt came in 2018, about two years after Fritz had declared that, at last, the world’s greatest stereo and listening room was complete. Kurt, on a visit home, decided to ask his father for a couple of family heirlooms: his grandfather’s 1955 Chevy and an old Rek-O-Kut turntable.

“It wasn’t the size of the ask. The record player wasn’t worth more than a few hundred dollars. But the tone of the demand set off Fritz. He heard in it a sense of entitlement.

“It could have been a monkey wrench, the way he told me,” Fritz recalled later. “I told him: ‘Not going to happen.’”

“It was past 1 a.m. when Kurt, with a few drinks in him, told his father he was going to stay up later and listen to some more music. All the work he had put into building that stereo system — pouring concrete, painting the walls — now Kurt wanted to enjoy it.

“But Fritz hit the off switch on the Krells. And Kurt delivered the words the two of them could never come back from.

“I need you to die slow, m-----f-----,” he told his father. “Die slow.”

“His meaning was coldly clear to both of them.”

Although Scott [the son, who made the video referenced in this thread,] and Fritz had a special bond, they “clashed over the years and occasionally stopped talking. Scott didn’t like how his father sometimes treated people… And Scott hated how his dad acted toward [Frtz’s other son] Kurt.

“He definitely taught me my work ethic,” Scott said. “But I don’t need to spend time with people who behave like that.”

Near the end of his life, his estranged son “called and tried to talk to his father. Betsy [his daughter] urged him to take the call. Fritz refused. In the end, they never spoke. .

Sad.

After his death, the system was sold in pieces to different buyers for a fraction of its original cost.

“Fritz’s stereo system may as well have been a load-bearing wall. His dream had been woven into the actual structure of his home. They were virtually inseparable.And who would want to buy a stereo that cost more than the house…Anybody that’s got that kind of money,…doesn’t want to live there.”

So sad, if true, in so many ways.

As someone else pointed out - “a cautionary tale”.

A link to the WP article:

https://wapo.st/47ErwZI

Last edited:

audioguy3107

Jul 30, 2018
Atlanta, Ga
I read this yesterday, really interesting and like you said, sad article. It would have been tough seeing a close family member/father alienate the people closest to him for this pursuit. It sounds like he crossed the line from the hobby being fun to an unhealthy obsession years ago. I remember reading about Fritz's system years ago.....I always wondered how his custom made speaker system would stack up against a loudspeaker from a typical high end audio manufacturer. Based on one excerpt from the article, it didn't sound like his guests were overly impressed with the sound. I wonder if anyone in the audio forum world ever had a chance to hear the system?

- Buck

Reactions: cmarin

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020

He spent his life building a $1 million stereo. The real cost was unfathomable.​

[I’m including the link here at the bottom of the post. I copied as a gift so that hopefully others can read it. Note: There’s an earlier related forum thread here on WBF “One Man's Dream - Ken Fritz Documentary” that describes in detail the construction of the system/room”.]

The article focuses in part on the underbelly (sadness and regrets) of Ken Fritz’s project. Sadness for ALS taking away Mr. Fritz’s ability to enjoy the fruits of his system longer.

But also the sadness and regret of the alleged “unfathomable cost” of the failed relationships with some of his family, especially his sons.

His obsession with his audiophile project meant little time for vacations or family time on weekends. And his sons being forced to work interminably on the project.

As Fritz himself says “‘I was a father pretty much in name,” Fritz told me. “I was not a typical father or a typical husband.’”

“The big blowup with [his estranged son] Kurt came in 2018, about two years after Fritz had declared that, at last, the world’s greatest stereo and listening room was complete. Kurt, on a visit home, decided to ask his father for a couple of family heirlooms: his grandfather’s 1955 Chevy and an old Rek-O-Kut turntable.

“It wasn’t the size of the ask. The record player wasn’t worth more than a few hundred dollars. But the tone of the demand set off Fritz. He heard in it a sense of entitlement.

“It could have been a monkey wrench, the way he told me,” Fritz recalled later. “I told him: ‘Not going to happen.’”

“It was past 1 a.m. when Kurt, with a few drinks in him, told his father he was going to stay up later and listen to some more music. All the work he had put into building that stereo system — pouring concrete, painting the walls — now Kurt wanted to enjoy it.

“But Fritz hit the off switch on the Krells. And Kurt delivered the words the two of them could never come back from.

Although Scott [the son, who made the video referenced in this thread,] and Fritz had a special bond, they “clashed over the years and occasionally stopped talking. Scott didn’t like how his father sometimes treated people… And Scott hated how his dad acted toward [Frtz’s other son] Kurt.

“He definitely taught me my work ethic,” Scott said. “But I don’t need to spend time with people who behave like that.”

Near the end of his life, his estranged son “called and tried to talk to his father. Betsy [his daughter] urged him to take the call. Fritz refused. In the end, they never spoke. .

Sad.

After his death, the system was sold in pieces to different buyers for a fraction of its original cost.

“Fritz’s stereo system may as well have been a load-bearing wall. His dream had been woven into the actual structure of his home. They were virtually inseparable.And who would want to buy a stereo that cost more than the house…Anybody that’s got that kind of money,…doesn’t want to live there.”

Thanks for the link, Carlos! My wife really wanted me to read this, but the paywall kept me out, until now.

Reactions: cmarin

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
This is an excellent read and a good reality check for anyone who watched the documentary. As far as I’m concerned he went full Gollum years ago.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the link, Carlos! My wife really wanted me to read this, but the paywall kept me out, until now.
You’re welcome. My pleasure. Glad you could access the link.

Djcxxx

Nov 11, 2022
The consequences of obsession are often tragic. Moby Dick comes to mind.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It’s a very impressive effort, but the story is tragic at the end. I admire the passion but not the cost of his relationships with his kids.

I am curious how the system actually sounded in the end. It is interesting that the system was broken up and sold off in pieces. I wonder how Ken Fritz would respond to Ron‘s latest thread about cost benefit analysis.

Reactions: Lee and Ron Resnick

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Sad.

Biggest travesty was all the money spent on Krell gear ! ;)

Reactions: jeff1225 and Bobvin

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That and the Frankentable.
Yes 6 VPI motors just plowing trough the grooves, probably without synchronization ! :rolleyes: One VPI motor is bad enough, but 6 !:eek:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
A sad and doleful story.

Then there was this ...

And here it was, the inevitable moment in every meeting with an audiophile, when the proud owner of the system in question presses play.

I had experienced it when Weiss invited me to the OMA showroom to listen to the enormous horn speakers he sells for about $300,000 a pair; and when I sat in the cramped basement of veteran stereo-and-vinyl journalist Michael Fremer as he blasted the Beatles’ “Rubber Soul” through his Wilson speakers.

They all want to know: What do you think?

heh.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
The part where he didn't let his long suffering son listen to the system alone at night, and instead flicked the power off, was tragic, and he lost most of my sympathy after that. He really did a job on his family, and that had nothing to do with audio.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If not for the pandemic I might not have started on things that my whole family enjoys. This article makes me think, maybe I just got lucky.

Reactions: dan31

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
A sad and doleful story.

Then there was this ...

heh.
Yes the inevitable “What do you think?. And its inextricable link to the justification of the owner’s efforts and pride, and the often requisite polite reply.

“But as Fritz cranked the loudest version of the Contours hit I’d ever heard, it was impossible to listen critically. Was the bass flabby or tight? Did the mids sound right? What about the drums? The voice?

“Fritz nodded, his eyes brightening. I found myself reflexively smiling, meeting his look with an expression of wonder, mouthing “wow.”

“I was rooting for a man who had devoted his life to this system. I wanted it to sound better than any other. Even if I really couldn’t tell.

Was it truly “wow?” Or merely loud?”

heh indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
A sad and doleful story.

Then there was this ...

heh.
Yes, just blame the addict, the biggest dealers and enablers always go free ! ;)

Reactions: cjfrbw

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yes, just blame the addict, the biggest dealers and enablers always go free ! ;)

I think it's the angle taken by the WaPo writer.

My understanding is he built the speakers himself.

This presents the guy and his effort from a different angle:
Skip the adverts

I don't know if the opening music (Swan Lake) was recorded from his system. Sounds good to me.

Lots more here

Reactions: Lagonda

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
My understanding is the Washington Post is anti-audiophile.

Fremer had run-in at least once earlier on about their whimsical dismissals on vinyl, and then there was that mofi digitisation crappie of their vinyl releases, and now this.

WA always seems to focus on the worst dregs of listening to music at home.

Reactions: tima and Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing