Hello from Indiana

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
Hello, All.
My name's Mike, I'm 70 and a retired wildlife conservation professional. I was reasonably serious about high-fidelity audio when I was younger, but then life got in the way and marriage, kids, career, relocations, and higher-priority demands on our limited finances pushed audio further into the background.
Now I have more time I'm beginning to re-immerse myself a bit. I've created a system around a NAD Masters Series M50.2 digital player/vault and a NAD Masters M32 digital integrated amp, and added a heavily modified Rega P1 turntable (new platter, subplatter, bearing, mat, braces, tonearm, cartridge, footers...) and a miniDSP SHD streamer/Dirac processor into the mix. Digital interconnects are Hapa Audio Aero Cu S/PDIF and speaker cables are Audio Art SSC-5 ePlus Cryo.
I built a pair of CSS Criton 2TD-X m-t-m speakers with upgraded crossovers, but I'm now in the process of building new Criton 2TD-X tower enclosures from solid quartersawn mahogany. I know all the reasons that solid wood speakers aren't a good idea, but I've been in touch with Lou Hinkley at Daedalus Audio, who's been doing it successfully for years, and a very skilled friend and I are giving it a shot. Test pieces of the wood with various finishes are in my bathroom shower area right now! They'll be very well-braced, lined with NoRez, and will have some pretty advanced joinery, and I've purchased Isoacoustics GAIA II isolation feet for them. I'll hopefully post pictures when they're done!

Reactions: Tuckia

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Welcome to the forum. An audio friend introduced me to the Gaias and they worked wonders under my speakers. I have them under my racks as well - all with carpet discs. I hope they work out for you. Keep us posted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing