Hello from South Africa

At 58 years age I currently live in Johannesburg, am a business systems consultant and will shortly relocate to Kenya. I have had more audio systems pass through my life than I can remember but I guess it's like girls - you always remember the first one and the last/current one (my wife in this case!).

First system was a Sansui amp, Garrard turntable and Fisher speakers. Then came an avalanche of stuff ending with todays Angstrom 200 pre-amp, Technics SE A3 power amp and Martin Logan Aerius speakers. Also run a Sansui amp into ML Scripts. Sources are primarily a PC for everyday sounds and a Thorens/SME/Ortofon combo for serious vinyl listening.

Spare stuff lying around includes a few other Thorens and an LP12; also Pioneer SX receiver (huge), NAD processor (unused), Sansui Au777 (lovely bit of kit - cant drive electrostatics) and some Akai reel to reels.

At 58 years age I currently live in Johannesburg, am a business systems consultant and will shortly relocate to Kenya. I have had more audio systems pass through my life than I can remember but I guess it's like girls - you always remember the first one and the last/current one (my wife in this case!).

First system was a Sansui amp, Garrard turntable and Fisher speakers. Then came an avalanche of stuff ending with todays Angstrom 200 pre-amp, Technics SE A3 power amp and Martin Logan Aerius speakers. Also run a Sansui amp into ML Scripts. Sources are primarily a PC for everyday sounds and a Thorens/SME/Ortofon combo for serious vinyl listening.

Spare stuff lying around includes a few other Thorens and an LP12; also Pioneer SX receiver (huge), NAD processor (unused), Sansui Au777 (lovely bit of kit - cant drive electrostatics) and some Akai reel to reels.

Awesome to have you here! Are you going to bring your rig to Kenya with you?

Thank you for the welcome. Unfortunately logistics and space mean my home goes into storage for about a year (it's going to be a long hard one). After that, oh yes, very definitely.

I followed your url and can only say WOW - I never heard of more than 90% of the stuff - just too busy. And the quality is amazing. Maybe the year won't be so long and hard with that to read! Thanks again.

To what part of Kenya are you moving?

Back in 1988 I spent about a week in Nairobi, then travelled across the boarder to Tanzania for about 2 weeks. Climbed to the top of Kilimanjaro. 4 wheeled it through Ngorongoro Crater with the lions and other wildlife. Everywhere I went I met the nicest people.

I will be living in Nairobi itself in the Ruaraka suburb where I have an apartment. It is right next to the Safari Park Hotel where my wife works as a database controller and purchasing officer. About 20k km from the city centre on the Thika road. The family is from the Meru district and they have Mt Kenya on the doorstep of their plantation (tea, coffee, bananas, beans and corn). I am not sure of the rules here but you can see abums on my facebook site, search for Arthur Panton and you will see it when it comes round!

I have not climbed Kilomanjaro and probably never will due to a knee problem; as for lions and other safari delights I must confess they are not my thing at all largely because the South African military cured me of bush living (also gave me the knee)!

But agreed, the people in both Kenya and Tanzania are absolutely wonderful and the Meru women are the best in the world (this from a white SA male who is married to a black Kenyan woman, thank God) :)

Hi Arthur,
just sent a pm - didn't realize you would be in Kenya, i am there a lot too. but you will have to meet our local country manager, JP DeLeu, he has been in Nairobi for 25 years and is a great guy (DRC for 15 years before that). I will send you his information as well. look forward to meeting up in JHB before you leave.
best,
brian

Cool, another Aerius owner. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine since 1992 when I purchased a pair of the first couple hundered made.

They are driven well with a EL-34 tube 100 watt amp.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you.

Listening with a suitable tube amp is on my to-do list definitely.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing