Help me understand what going on - Cartidge/Arm Resonance on a Linear tonearm

Urbinator

Apr 9, 2024
Hatfield
Good Morning, all. I am trying to work out if this is an issue or not. For my ears, it sounds fine, but I'd still like to understand what's going on.

I have recently installed a Soundsmith Sussurro II cartridge onto my Bergmann Thor linear tonearm; the turntable is the Galder. I have "Hi-Fi News and record review" Test Record that I use for testing. Side 2 band 2 is the cartridge/arm resonance test. With this set-up, everything is stable until 7hz, and we get the wobbles. I believe this is very low, and the ideal should be between 8 and 12 Hz. The Soundsmith EZ Mount screws make no difference to this if I increase or decrease the mass. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Does this affect Linear tonearms in the same way? Any feedback from my Learned Friends would be appreciated.

The effective mass for the Thor tonearm is 12g, and Compliance for the cartridge is 10 μm/mN

Oh, and one pleasant surprise, Side 1 - Band 9, is the torture track for tracking ability; this setup is the first to play successfully.

Attachments

• IMG_5284.JPG
    IMG_5284.JPG
    599.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Wobbling of cartridge is perfectly normal as long as tonearm tracks without skipping. Actual resonance frequency may be different than calculated cause real compliance values don’t always match specs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu