Help with first time set-up for Vintage McIntosh Amp, Preamp, and Tuner

drewbypc

Oct 24, 2020
I've recently been given a wonderful opportunity to acquire some very expensive vintage audio equipment, but as a PC hardware enthusiast, I have 0 knowledge when it comes to this area and would appreciate some help.

I was told all I would really need is an amp and a tuner, and in total I have taken these 3 McIntosh pieces home as well as a Thorens turntable and two large Advent speakers. (not to mention the box full of cables/wires....)

LARGE PHOTOS IN SPOILERS

MC 2255 AMP

C40 AUDIO CONTROL CENTER (PRE AMP?)

MR 78 FM TUNER

If anyone is familiar with this exact equipment, could you help me set this all up?
Or could anyone at the very least point me in the right direction for how I'm supposed to interconnect all of these components (and or let me know if I'm missing a crucial piece of hardware)?

Thanks!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
All this info should be available on the internet. Example. Google amp to preamp connection, tuner to preamp, etc.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Nice bits of gear.
It is all fairly straightforward. Phono to phono (RCA) plugs between the equipment ( there is balanced on the pre, but not the power, so ignore). So tuner output to preamp input marked tuner. Preamp output (unswitched) to power amp input. Speakers connected to the power amplifier, the screw terminals are not ideal and limit cable size. Check the ohm rating of the speaker, usually 8 ohm, positive (red) to that and black, negative, to Com. Keed to keep phase correct, so red to red, or right to right. You will need an aerial.

Manuals
MC2255

C40

MR 78

Reactions: drewbypc

drewbypc

Oct 24, 2020
Nice bits of gear.
It is all fairly straightforward. Phono to phono (RCA) plugs between the equipment ( there is balanced on the pre, but not the power, so ignore). So tuner output to preamp input marked tuner. Preamp output (unswitched) to power amp input. Speakers connected to the power amplifier, the screw terminals are not ideal and limit cable size. Check the ohm rating of the speaker, usually 8 ohm, positive (red) to that and black, negative, to Com. Keed to keep phase correct, so red to red, or right to right. You will need an aerial.

Manuals
MC2255

C40

MR 78
Thanks for the reply, this has been immensely helpful -- though I am a bit lost on a couple things.

Preamp output (unswitched) to power amp input.

I drew myself a simple diagram to further understand this; so is this red line between the pre amp and power amp correct? The only thing labeled "unswitched" on the preamp is the power outlet under the "listen" outputs, and I'm pretty sure that is not what you were describing.

You will need an aerial.
Is the aerial necessary for connection to the speakers? It seems my pronged speaker wires will connect quite easily with the screw terminals but I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you.

Thanks again.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Your photos are correct. Sorry I said unswitched incorrectly meaning not the ones marked switched to the left in your photo.

For the tuner to work, you will probably gave to plug an aerial in so it can receive a signal/ thne into a station.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I've recently been given a wonderful opportunity to acquire some very expensive vintage audio equipment, but as a PC hardware enthusiast, I have 0 knowledge when it comes to this area and would appreciate some help.

I was told all I would really need is an amp and a tuner, and in total I have taken these 3 McIntosh pieces home as well as a Thorens turntable and two large Advent speakers. (not to mention the box full of cables/wires....)

LARGE PHOTOS IN SPOILERS

MC 2255 AMP

C40 AUDIO CONTROL CENTER (PRE AMP?)

MR 78 FM TUNER

If anyone is familiar with this exact equipment, could you help me set this all up?
Or could anyone at the very least point me in the right direction for how I'm supposed to interconnect all of these components (and or let me know if I'm missing a crucial piece of hardware)?

Thanks!
Indeed great classic mcintosh.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing