Hmmm...how to align 'pointy' Ortofon cartridge using protractor?

Otherchuck

Jan 13, 2017
Greetings,

The last time I installed a cartridge was about 40 years ago, mid 1980's. As the time I was young an naive, and just screwed it into the headshell of my Technics SL-D3 turntable; didn't test its alignment, took all of two minutes. I barely played that turntable during the digital era, but I want to rehab it now so I can put my extensive vinyl collection back into play. Since I presume my old cartridge and stylus, Ortofon LM-20, are long past their healthy lifespan, I purchased an Ortofon Super 5e cartridge, and this time I am taking the installation and alignment process seriously. I have a protractor and an azimthuth tool, and I have watched tons of video on the process. I was just about to start the operation, but I realized something: In all the videos I watched, the cartridge being used for the demonstration had a 'flat' front end that enabled you to see if it is parallel to the protractor grid-lines. But the Ortofon Super 5e has a pointy end, the same as my LM-20. I don't if one can possibly see if a 'point' is parallel to a 'line.' Here are two pics (that is the LM-20 in photos, but shape is identical to Super 5e)

outer grid.jpg

inner grid.jpg

See what I mean? The headshell could be misaligned, but that could just be an artifact of the camera angle, and I can't change that anyway. I mean, it LOOKS like I nailed it in the two minutes I spent installing it 40 years ago, but I am also wondering if that is hubris, and I only feel that way because there is no way that protractor can prove otherwise. I doubt that I am the first person to have come across the alignment liability associated with pointy cartridge fronts, am I? What do other people with this kind of pointy-nosed cartridge to do check alignment?

Thanks for any advice!

Otherchuck

Bonus question: I think the tracking force for the LM-20 is 1.8g, but have long since lost original installation guide. Can anyone confirm my recollection that 1.8g is correct? Thx!

Greetings,

The last time I installed a cartridge was about 40 years ago, mid 1980's. As the time I was young an naive, and just screwed it into the headshell of my Technics SL-D3 turntable; didn't test its alignment, took all of two minutes. I barely played that turntable during the digital era, but I want to rehab it now so I can put my extensive vinyl collection back into play. Since I presume my old cartridge and stylus, Ortofon LM-20, are long past their healthy lifespan, I purchased an Ortofon Super 5e cartridge, and this time I am taking the installation and alignment process seriously. I have a protractor and an azimthuth tool, and I have watched tons of video on the process. I was just about to start the operation, but I realized something: In all the videos I watched, the cartridge being used for the demonstration had a 'flat' front end that enabled you to see if it is parallel to the protractor grid-lines. But the Ortofon Super 5e has a pointy end, the same as my LM-20. I don't if one can possibly see if a 'point' is parallel to a 'line.' Here are two pics (that is the LM-20 in photos, but shape is identical to Super 5e)

View attachment 128113

View attachment 128114

See what I mean? The headshell could be misaligned, but that could just be an artifact of the camera angle, and I can't change that anyway. I mean, it LOOKS like I nailed it in the two minutes I spent installing it 40 years ago, but I am also wondering if that is hubris, and I only feel that way because there is no way that protractor can prove otherwise. I doubt that I am the first person to have come across the alignment liability associated with pointy cartridge fronts, am I? What do other people with this kind of pointy-nosed cartridge to do check alignment?

Thanks for any advice!

Otherchuck

Bonus question: I think the tracking force for the LM-20 is 1.8g, but have long since lost original installation guide. Can anyone confirm my recollection that 1.8g is correct? Thx!
Are the sides of the cartridge parallel? If yes, could you not match them to the grid?

Two other thoughts. First, it’s an elliptical stylus, not a line contact. It is Ortofon’s intent that this should not be too finicky about perfect alignment. Second, this is an inexpensive cartridge. Listen to it. If you like it, be happy. If you have an extensive vinyl collection, it might be worth investing in something a bit higher up the line.

Reactions: mtemur
Two parts to this: offset and alignment. Pointy ended cartridge or otherwise, you want to align the cantilever -- the idea being to get the coil attached to it positioned proportionately to the interior magnet(s). Instead of looking overhead, get down to where you can see the cantilever relative to the grid on your protractor. With a slotted headshell don't worry about it being parallel -- the cantilever is what counts. That's alignment.

Getting the stylus precisely on the proper offset is the other part.

There are protractors that are reflective and have etched parallel lines for aligning the cantilever down a center line, along with a dot or divot for the setting the stylus offset. The reflection allows for parallex compensation and you can see the reflection of the cantilever against the center line. I find these helpful.

An elliptical stylus is rounded on its tip making alignment less critical while the offset still needs to be accurate. Nonetheless the more precise you can get, the increased liklihood of better sound. Take your time. Good lighting, a magnifier and patience usually help.

If the cantilever is skewed, send it back. On these cheap Ortofons, the issue might be fixed by a stylus change.

And there is no guarantee that aligning to a cantilever is going to be perfect because the styli are not necessarily going to be perfectly mounted. You can’t know until you’ve inspected under a high power microscope.

Don’t be OCD over alignment of a sensibly priced disposable elliptical phono cartridge. These are meant for plug and play, wear out and replace.

1. If the protractor you’re using an original Technics than it’s overhang is 15mm standard as usual with Japanese tonearms. You can align cartridge parallel to the sides of the head shell then align head shell parallel to the lines of the protractor.
2. If it’s a universal two point protractor (Baerwald, Lofgren, Stevenson) then you should align cartridge sides parallel to the lines on the protractor at both null points as advised by @Another Johnson. Don’t care about cartridge sides being parallel to the sides of head shell. This will align correct overhang approximately 18mm for 9” tonearm. After that you should check zenith angle by aligning cantilever parallel to the lines as advised by @tima. Set anti-skating to zero during this process.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing