How Do You Think About Cost/Benefit Analysis for Your System?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I can see the transformer six feet away from my listening room window. Does that count? ;)
I have at times wondered if my amps up near my back wall might not be more susceptible to bass modes impacting the tubes? Who knows. I know the crossover on my stands caused a notable smear. Once they were put on stands behind the speaker, the sound was much more clean.

Reactions: Lee

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Boy did this thread ever head off the rails.

Reactions: PeterA and J007B

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Now take a look how Rigid Rack lands the shelves on the uprights.
Yes, that is my one concern with these. My brother-in-law who is hobbyist but incredible woodworker pointed this out. He said he could figure out some additional bracing for it if I got it. I'd love to have him make my rack, but the cost (he is a perfectionist and uses only the best materials) and the resulting family energy indebtedness I'd accrue are well out of scope ;) He also said that the price of the RigidRack is actually good value when you add up the wood, manufacture, finish and shipping.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Boy did this thread ever head off the rails.
Why, we are talking about things we think are high value for the cost. I'm talking 3 shelf racks 50 inch wide that cost $2000. Other people may spend $12,000 on the same size rack. What is the gain for $10,000 additional.out of your pocket. I don't know. I have never listened.

Reactions: facten and Lee

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Yes, that is my one concern with these. My brother-in-law who is hobbyist but incredible woodworker pointed this out. He said he could figure out some additional bracing for it if I got it. I'd love to have him make my rack, but the cost (he is a perfectionist and uses only the best materials) and the resulting family energy indebtedness I'd accrue are well out of scope ;) He also said that the price of the RigidRack is actually good value when you add up the wood, manufacture, finish and shipping.
Yes ageed. Look, it comes in pieces. There is no reason a good carpenter couldn't put the stand together. Get it level, then scribe cut lines, take it apart, then notch the legs and recess the shelves. All you loose is maybe 1.5 inch shelf width. It would take a sharp detail saw and skilled hands with a chisel to pull it off.

You might ask Ridge Rack.if they can do it. I bet he woulf for an additional $500.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Never really thought about it at a system level. I would evaluate changes as "was it worth it" but that's about it.

As far ratting against the SOTA??

Who defines what that is??? All I care about is if I am happy with what I am hearing.

If yes all is good!

Rob :)

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Halfbaked

Sep 1, 2023
Lake Worth, Fl USA
I myself have quite a bit of vintage equipment that has been refurbished and heavily modified. Plus additional pieces to bring in the system to our digital age. I have spent a decent amount on everything.

I certainly know some have spent far less and a few way far more. I will say overall I have reached a point of happiness. Though a few more mods/and or updates are still on my list to be done.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Never really thought about it at a system level. I would evaluate changes as "was it worth it" but that's about it.

As far ratting against the SOTA??

Who defines what that is??? All I care about is if I am happy with what I am hearing.

If yes all is good!

Rob :)
That's how I define the quality of a system because that is all that matters.

Reactions: Robh3606

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Cost benefit analysis is hard...

My system has a 25 year old turntable and a very heavily tweaked pre amp and power amp. The pre amp in particular bears no relation to what it was as it has a different power supply and loads of Shinkoh and Caddock resistors as well as different caps. I spent a lot on it.
The speakers are what, 15 years old? My point is that my system probably counts as mostly vintage not "up to date".
But am I happy with my system? Pretty much yes. Is it an assault on the state of the art? Hell no.

Cost benefit: The problem is that how I would score it varies from day to day... Most of the time I would score harshly & say its a 7/10 on my arbitrary scale. Last night, playing James Brown on the right pressing at the right volume with the lights off and the system warmed up*, it was a 9.75. U n b e l i e v a b l y good. Tomorrow WILL be different.
(*Jeez, is all this hassle worth it? I don't want to always spend 2 or 3 hours preparing, to fumble around in the dark to listen to 30 minutes of music at an unsociable hour. Better spend more money to fix that :))

Could I improve the system and what do I think I would "need" to spend on it? Yes I could and right now, today, I would need to spend about £2k. Tomorrow I WILL think different. Its easier to buy better pressings of records....

"Tweaks", i.e stuff other than the components themselves, have made a huge and transformative difference, so I believe they are always worth exploring. Some have been and are free some are more spendy. Having just spent too much money on a new music room I am still experimenting with system set up and speaker placement. There are free improvements to be had there.

What have I spent on it? Lets leave that at too much...

Where does this leave me? Forget all the above over analysis crap. Philosophically, my system and my music makes me happy. It transports me somewhere else and means I can forget the variable cares of the world at any time of day. As such its priceless and worth every penny of the too much I have spent on it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing