How fast will cars ultimately get? And will they be fun to drive?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Growing up, I was dreaming of a car going 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Now, a $50K sedan does it in 5-5.5 seconds. The top sedans like Aston Martin Rapide ($180-200k) and Porsche Panamera Turbo, do it in 3.5-3.8 seconds. But they are huge sedans. I can upgrade my virtually new Audi A7 to the newly released Audi S7, and cut just under a second off that 0-60 time. But I don't feel much of a pull to do it, as these are all fairly big cars.

How fast do you guys think cars will get? And as all cars get faster, what will differentiate them to make them fun to drive?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Forgetting about top speed now and just discussing 0-60 times, there is a delicate balance of being finicky/less reliable and being an everyday driver. When a car starts to become less practical to drive, then there is a problem. The higher the H.P., the less reliable things become. That's the price to pay when you're on the cutting edge of technology. I'd love to have a car that will to sub 3-second 0-60 times, but the way I see it, I'll also need a mechanic to come along and fix things. I've see too many episodes of Top Gear, Motor Trend Magazine and others where super performance cars just break too easily and even the experts can't figure things out.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you're breaking the speed limit in 1st gear, you probably have too much car. LOL.

Actually I attribute fun with balance and response. Speed I equate with fear. :D

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I heard that the original Cobra would idle at 25mph in first gear, you had to take it out of gear or drive it with the brakes on for it to go slower.

Raffles

Aug 12, 2012
UK
We may be at the end of an era: fuel prices are going up and up (well, here in the UK anyway) and I could imagine a time when driving a gas guzzler will be seen as about as socially acceptable as wearing a fur coat; I believe here in the UK the 4x4 is already seen as an object of ridicule if not yet hostility. I saw one commentator making the point that in aircraft we have actually seen anti-progress for the first time in any type of technology: Concorde is gone, and it is possible that there will never be another supersonic airliner.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I used to worship speed and acceleration. This was until I drove my sister's MX-5 (the original 1.6L model) almost 15 years ago. This car was slow, but the way it responded was really something else. It changed what I thought about cars, and made me realize that I can have a lot of fun whilst driving at the speed limit. Even a BMW 3-series feels like a barge next to the MX-5. Modern sedans that capture that essence include the Lexus IS250 and Subaru Liberty. Speed is now completely out of my system - I look for a good handling car, which has "enough" acceleration to get me out of trouble, excellent fuel economy, refinement, and safety features. And yes, I was a motorhead when I was younger!

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
just buy a 600-1000cc sportsbike if you want Real speed

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
just buy a 600-1000cc sportsbike if you want Real speed

I would except one of my Moto GP idols is paralyzed from the waist down and the other has a foot that he can't move. At least the latter has a roller coaster named after him. I'll stick to cars.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would except one of my Moto GP idols is paralyzed from the waist down and the other has a foot that he can't move. At least the latter has a roller coaster named after him. I'll stick to cars.

Yeah... and James Dean is dead... and Dale Earnhardt... and Dan Wheldon... and the HUNDREDS listed HERE!

Seems motorcycle deaths are much smaller!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I drive better than I ride. Yup I used to ride back in the day. Not a rocket like you do but my '91 CBR 400 was already beyond my capabilities. Besides, have you seen the roads and the drivers here? You wouldn't ride either.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Yeah... and James Dean is dead... and Dale Earnhardt... and Dan Wheldon... and the HUNDREDS listed HERE!

Seems motorcycle deaths are much smaller!!

just as easy to end up in a wheelchair falling of a horse , playing rugby . or a soldier
see recent paralympic games

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing