How to Isolate my REL Gibraltar G!s

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
ASC tube traps mentioned above work well. I built DIY versions for a fraction new and you can customize the height and size. Net is - get them off the floor 12+" and isolate via aforementioned products and the bass will no longer traverse the structure of your room and you'll have tighter better bass.

• Love
Reactions: ICUToo and dbeau

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
ASC tube traps mentioned above work well. I built DIY versions for a fraction new and you can customize the height and size. Net is - get them off the floor 12+" and isolate via aforementioned products and the bass will no longer traverse the structure of your room and you'll have tighter better bass.
Would you post pic(s), a bit about construction and what Isolation products used under the stand (or on it beneath the sub)?
I am interested in doing similar with my quite heavy REL 25s. Thx

Reactions: ICUToo

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I ha
I've wondered about this too, especially re raising them up at least a foot to offset room nodes but John Hunter/REL
objects to raising or adding anything under REL subs - see attached:

Have a REL sub on a sub dude. I understand his point but those with structural floor issue that vibrate with the subwoofer and rattle the kitchen cabinents, it is very impractical. Seems like the best solution would be to install isolation feet matching the height of the supplied footers. And REL should offer this as an upgrade option.

Reactions: tmiddle2 and dbeau

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I know John's thoughts on subwoofer isolation, and they make sense, but the largest SubDudes work very well and can prove indispensable in situations where structural vibrations cannot be otherwise tamed; and they only raise the sub 1.75" above its design height.

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
FWIW, I just put two IsoAcoustics 155s under each of my homemade subs (?35kg each, roughly?).
The improvement was startling and way more than worthwhile. I haven't compared other subwoofer isolation devices so I can't really compare, but the bass tightness and lack of room interaction makes the isolation a must-have.
I needed to turns the subs up a tiny notch.
I never knew I needed it before:)

Reactions: musicfirst1

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Our experience matches ICUToo's. Our REL Gibraltars placed on the Auralic SubDudes need about 2db more gain in our room.

Another option to try is to spike the subs. We feel proper spiking is the best solution sonically providing room coupling is not too severe. Spiking does provide significant structural decoupling and also provides better bass articulation and tonality than the SubDudes, but the SubDudes simply can't be beat for easily and dramatically decoupling the subs from the room.

There is however a slight penalty in articulation and tonality with the use of SubDudes. Not so with spiking.

We have installed spikes and discs on our beautiful 3/4" hardwood floors in our showroom on both our Gibraltars.

If you have hardwood:

Solen here in Canada sells VERY nice sets of four with self tapping inserts for less than 50 dollars a set of 4.

Simply drill four 5/16" pilot holes ~1/2 deep into the base of your sub, install the inserts so they're flush with the bottom of the sub thread the spikes and your done.

If you have light carpet, commercial carpet, or carpet tiles:

We reccommend the following set:

Installation method is the same as for the hardwood set.

For medium to deep carpet we reccommend:

GOOD LUCK! And remember, the best thing you can spend on your system is time.

Kerry

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Our experience matches ICUToo's. Our REL Gibraltars placed on the Isoacostic SubDudes need about 2db more gain in our room.

Another option to try is to spike the subs. We feel proper spiking is the best solution sonically providing room coupling is not too severe. Spiking does provide significant structural decoupling and also provides better bass articulation and tonality than the SubDudes, but the SubDudes simply can't be beat for easily and dramatically decoupling the subs from the room.

There is however a slight penalty in articulation and tonality with the use of SubDudes. Not so with spiking.

We have installed spikes and discs on our beautiful 3/4" hardwood floors in our showroom on both our Gibraltars.

If you have hardwood:

Solen here in Canada sells VERY nice sets of four with self tapping inserts for less than 50 dollars a set of 4.

Simply drill four 5/16" pilot holes ~1/2 deep into the base of your sub, install the inserts so they're flush with the bottom of the sub thread the spikes and your done.

If you have light carpet, commercial carpet, or carpet tiles:

We reccommend the following set:

Installation method is the same as for the hardwood set.

For medium to deep carpet we reccommend:

GOOD LUCK! And remember, the best thing you can spend on your system is time.

Kerry
The 6Moons review of the Carbide footers, which explores their use for subwoofer isolation, is worth reading.

Reactions: musicfirst1

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Our experience matches ICUToo's. Our REL Gibraltars placed on the Isoacostic SubDudes need about 2db more gain in our room.
@musicfirst1,
Thanks for sharing. I have web searched Isoacoustic and Subdudes, which seem to be an Auralex product instead.
My REL subs are the 25s which have a two large wood footers across their length (~4"x26") and so I worry about stability with spikes and think that 6 Isoacoustic footers w/b needed for each sub (168#) maybe under those wood slabs on each end and in middle (?) ~ $480 each sub (not unreasonable). AVRoomservice EVPs w/b similar in cost and also about 1 1/4" in height.
Can you provide in insight/thoughts/advice which might help me in which to implement?
Thanks,

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
@musicfirst1,
Thanks for sharing. I have web searched Isoacoustic and Subdudes, which seem to be an Auralex product instead.
My REL subs are the 25s which have a two large wood footers across their length (~4"x26") and so I worry about stability with spikes and think that 6 Isoacoustic footers w/b needed for each sub (168#) maybe under those wood slabs on each end and in middle (?) ~ $480 each sub (not unreasonable). AVRoomservice EVPs w/b similar in cost and also about 1 1/4" in height.
Can you provide in insight/thoughts/advice which might help me in which to implement?
Thanks,
I don't think, even north of 150# the REL 25s need any more than four spikes, provided you drill and tap threaded spikes in the wooden footers. The REL Gibraltars weigh more than 100lbs and I mass load them with over 100lbs of steel bars. That makes well over 200lbs on 4 brass spikes and disks on my hardwood floors. And even if they are going through carpet into sub floor, I would personally not do 6.

Reactions: dbeau

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I don't think, even north of 150# the REL 25s need any more than four spikes, provided you drill and tap threaded spikes in the wooden footers. The REL Gibraltars weigh more than 100lbs and I mass load them with over 100lbs of steel bars. That makes well over 200lbs on 4 brass spikes and disks on my hardwood floors. And even if they are going through carpet into sub floor, I would personally not do 6.
Currently I believe isolation should be better without spiking. I am looking at EVPs vs. Carbide Base (Tx).
Has anyone have any experience with Carbide Base footers yet - they are new but will be in Axpona soon. Thx

Reactions: ACHiPo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing