How to match new receiver and speakers?

Jb901

Jan 4, 2020
Hey everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post! I’m just getting into home audio and currently looking at starting a small set up for my living room that I could later build on for my wife and me to enjoy. I am a bit confused as there is so much conflicting information out there regarding matching up speakers and receivers and I don’t want to damage anything. I already have a powered sub from an old system that my buddy gave me. I am currently looking at 2 receivers.. the first being an Onkyo tx-nr585 that I found for about a $150 and the other is a Sony srt-dh590 for the same price. For speakers, I am pretty set on buying the Klipsch r-15m, and I was also considering the Polk T15s. I also was looking at Klipsch r-41m but feel as though I might as well go with the r-15m model because they have more power. This will be for a small living room (sitting about 6-9 feet away) but would like for it to have enough power for a bigger one for when we move into a house. I’ll be using for tv, movies, music/record player. The Klipsch r-15m has a continuous at 85w and a max at 340w with a 94db (8ohm) sensitivity. My question is, will either of those receivers match up alright with those r-15m speakers? I’ve read that you need more power (wattage) coming out of your amp per channel than what the speakers continuous wattage is at.. I’ve also heard your amp should have less power (wattage) per channel than the speakers continuous wattage rating... and I’ve heard it doesn’t matter.
So I’m really confused! Will these receiver produce loud rock n roll music so I can jam out? Or will they be under powered..? The set up by no means has to be perfect, but I do love good audio quality and want it to last as long as possible. Please help! And thank you so much for any tips and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it!

Jb901

Jan 4, 2020
The sub is a Sony and it was pulled from the MHC-EC98Pi Mini Hi-Fi Shelf System. It hits hard and has always sounded good although I’m sure most people here would tell me to trash it. It puts out 150 W (at 4 ?, 80 Hz, 10% THD) and the model number is (SS-WG98) that should be fine right?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You have heard too much, just spin some music and films with either receivers (Onkyo or Sony) and enjoy...they'll match perfectly with the speakers you just mentioned (Klipsch and Polk).

* Go with the Onkyo receiver and Klipsch speakers. The Sony sub will work, a Klipsch sub better.

Jb901

Jan 4, 2020
You have heard too much, just spin some music and films with either receivers (Onkyo or Sony) and enjoy...they'll match perfectly with the speakers you just mentioned (Klipsch and Polk).

* Go with the Onkyo receiver and Klipsch speakers. The Sony sub will work, a Klipsch sub better.

I figured that may be the case.. I just want to be sure it will be nice and loud with those specs, and not disappointing. I sincerely appreciate your reply

Reactions: Mr Rickz

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
I agree with NorthStar. The Klipsch speakers will boogie with just a few watts. Any receiver you choose will be up to the task. And the sub should work fine as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I figured that may be the case.. I just want to be sure it will be nice and loud with those specs, and not disappointing. I sincerely appreciate your reply

It'll be nice and loud no worry, and not disappointing.

* I did check both receivers...Onkyo and Sony; the Onkyo is the better choice...definitely.
And Klipsch speakers with Onkyo receivers are a perfect match.
A Klipsch sub would also be better than a Sony one, definitely.
_____

Splendid is the day today above in the sky, like sitting on a cloud in the heavens listening to the musical soft caressing winds, with a bit of rain adding some titillating sprinkles. :)
...Or listening to AC?DC with heavy strikes of lightening full shaking blast before your body gets encapsulated in full plaster cast in your hospital's bed. :D {Side effect}

Last edited:

Jb901

Jan 4, 2020
It'll be nice and loud no worry, and not disappointing.

* I did check both receivers...Onkyo and Sony; the Onkyo is the better choice...definitely.
And Klipsch speakers with Onkyo receivers are a perfect match.
A Klipsch sub would also be better than a Sony one, definitely.
_____

Splendid is the day today above in the sky, like sitting on a cloud in the heavens listening to the musical soft caressing winds, with a bit of rain adding some titillating sprinkles. :)
...Or listening to AC?DC with heavy strikes of lightening full shaking blast before your body gets encapsulated in full plaster cast in your hospital's bed. :D {Side effect}

Nice thank you!! I had another question... would the Klipsch RP-150m speakers worth the extra $100? I am tempted to get those, but that would basically pay for my receiver. Plus I already have that sub. When I get my house I planned on making these bookshelves be for surround most likely, and put floor speakers next to the tv.

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
The hottest Klipsch bookshelves right now seem to be the RP-600. You might want to look at the reviews on YouTube.

The 150s look like their baby brothers.

Jb901

Jan 4, 2020
The hottest Klipsch bookshelves right now seem to be the RP-600. You might want to look at the reviews on YouTube.

The 150s look like their baby brothers.
Those look awesome! Unfortunately they’re a bit more than what I’m trying to spend at the moment!

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
Yes, the price actually went up after the great reviews.:mad:

Chances are that the rp-150s will work out just fine.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ditch the receivers, go with a dedicated integrated amplifier

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
He also wants to use it for movies...multichannel, and inexpensive.

"I am currently looking at 2 receivers.. the first being an Onkyo tx-nr585 that I found for about a $150 and the other is a Sony srt-dh590 for the same price. For speakers, I am pretty set on buying the Klipsch r-15m, and I was also considering the Polk T15s. I also was looking at Klipsch r-41m but feel as though I might as well go with the r-15m model because they have more power. This will be for a small living room (sitting about 6-9 feet away) but would like for it to have enough power for a bigger one for when we move into a house. I’ll be using for tv, movies, music/record player. The Klipsch r-15m has a continuous at 85w and a max at 340w with a 94db (8ohm) sensitivity."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing