Hydra Typhon T2

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
7ryder, you’re now at the 2-week mark. How is the T2 settling in so far? Since you are using it with a 6000S/2 how do you find using its local outputs vs using the 6000S/2 outputs? Any stark differences there?
I haven't tried using the Denali to power my monoblocks since Shunyata recommends plugging the amps into the T2. I will have to try it, since that is probably the source of the improvement I heard.

To answer your question, I have not heard any further changes/improvements to SQ since my original post and this includes adding a Sigma XC to replace a Sigma HC last Friday, this is even with running a fan for two weeks (one week for the power cord).

So, in my system, replacing a Typhon QR with a T2 is a small change. I am not sure that I would have upgraded to the T2 if I had had a chance to audition it first.

I remember Richard at Shunyata telling me that Caelin thought the Typhon QR was a great piece of equipment when I was getting mine upgraded during the last run. A lot of people were getting the upgrade done at the end of its life and Caelin thought that they would be a collectors item. I can see why, it appears that it was difficult for them to improve upon the TQR.

My takeaways -
- if you already own a Typhon QR, don't worry about the FOMO, stick with what you have.
- if you have a Denali 6000s v2 and are thinking about a T2, unless you need additional outlets, save some money and try to find a used Typhon QR, it will get you 95% (or more) of the way there.

Chris

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So, in my system, replacing a Typhon QR with a T2 is a small change. I am not sure that I would have upgraded to the T2 if I had had a chance to audition it first.

Fundamental to any Typhon's functionality -- its reason for being -- is its noise isolation chambers (NICs) containing larger quantities of ferroelectric material (ZrCa2000) than can be fitted into a power distributor to absorb high-frequency noise. All Typhon varietals have these. cf. here

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I received mine today. Using in tandem with Denali v2. So far, impressions are very good, big increase in three dimensionality, imaging, layering, and decrease in ear fatigue and "hardness". I also notice that although details aren't being shoved in my face lyrics are becoming naturally more intelligible without focusing on them. Details to come this eve.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
So I actually have a fairly low wattage headphone system, a Zähl HM1 headphone amp into HifiMan Susvara headphones, EMM Labs DA2 and NS1, but the DA2 is in the shop and so using a Mytek Manhattan II DAC. I'm using Sigma NR cables and Sigma XC to the wall.

I was curious if a low power system would benefit from the Typhon as a couple of years ago I had an exchange with Richard Rogers where he suggested the Denali v2 would be a better fit than the full blown Everest.

As it turns out, yes the Typhon T2 makes a pretty substantial improvement. Where the Denali seemed to clean up the sound from top to bottom, unearthing low level details, adding the Typhon affects the sound spatially, front to back and left to right. It just opens everything up in three dimensions, which is really great. And totally unforced detail, but all of a sudden instruments sound more lifelike because of little ambient sounds and space. Not analytical at all. I guess everyone knew this is what Typhons do.

I also notice more creeping dynamics, energy rising and falling in music, and explosive drums and crescendo.

The other thing of note is that it seems like it just tightens up and balances everything in my system. Before, maybe some sounds might have been a tad bloated here, or thin there, but now it sounds very coherent and in place across all frequencies.

Now, after a few hours can I conclude that it is worth the extra money I ended up spending long term vs buying an Everest in 2020? I can't compare it to an Everest directly, but if they are equivalent I would say going the two box route wasn't the best way. The stacked form factor is great, but the increase in audio quality seems a bit out of proportion for the added cost. That said, this setup sounds excellent and what's done is done. Who knows, the two box solution may ultimately be the better one, and maybe in a week or two I will hear more of that $7500 (umbilical included). **Also huge caveat, I'm sure a substantial part of the value is more apparent in high power systems than in my own, that generally puts out 4 watts RMS.

I do think these distributors absolutely need the QR/BB to complete them, whether it is an Everest, or Denali+T2 or Denali+QR. Not only does it make everything wonderfully 3D, spacious, and layered, but it just balances and tightens up the whole power system. It just works all round better.

I've definitely heard, and experienced to a degree, that power products give and take away, are a mixed bag, or a gimmick etc. This combo is dead serious and has incredible transparency. In my use case, it absolutely sounds better than the wall across the board.

Last edited:

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Thanks IanB for your impressions. Having recently put my Triton V3 on duty for my workstation/headphone-DAC Hifiman Jade-II electrostats. I can testament that QR/BB and NIC absolutely impact serious headphone systems.

Completing my new in-room layout have been slow but will start to burn in the T2 with its Sigma XC today (without sound). Now my T2 setup will differ from most applications as I will run 3x active Meridian DSP speakers on it (L C R). I’ve given this alot of thought and also how to keep it within a civil budget. ;)

Reactions: Glide3 and Ian B

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Thanks IanB for your impressions. Having recently put my Triton V3 on duty for my workstation/headphone-DAC Hifiman Jade-II electrostats. I can testament that QR/BB and NIC absolutely impact serious headphone systems.

Completing my new in-room layout have been slow but will start to burn in the T2 with its Sigma XC today (without sound). Now my T2 setup will differ from most applications as I will run 3x active Meridian DSP speakers on it (L C R). I’ve given this alot of thought and also how to keep it within a civil budget. ;)
Are you using three T2s, or another distributor for your Meridians?

As mine burns in I am also noticing a very pleasing calmness/stillness to the sound. I remember something like this from when I had a PS Audio P15, but the Denali/Typhon stack has much more transparent tonality and more detail (the detail part was very slightly behind with just the Denali). Pretty cool that the Typhon can steady the sound/feel as much or more than a dedicated AC regenerator.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Thinking about the stack, the Denali does the crucial heavy lifting to isolate and clean up the signal, but the Typhon brings the fun. Kind of like how parents have to work really hard raising the kid, and then aunts/uncles or grandparents come over and they get to be the fun adults.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
I’m using 1x Typhon T2 for Left, Center and Right active speakers.

The T2 reference umbilical is custom ordered with a C15 termination for the Meridian DSP7200HCSE active center speaker.

Reactions: Ian B

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I’m using 1x Typhon T2 for Left, Center and Right active speakers.

The T2 reference umbilical is custom ordered with a C15 termination for the Meridian DSP7200HCSE active center speaker.
This makes more sense.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
When I got my DA2 back into my system I noticed the same increase in dimensionality and detail, a little less increase in dynamics, and a change in the tonal qualities towards darker and softer. It definitely has the feel of limitless power, but with the EMM Labs things are now leaning too much into the soft and dark direction. DSD DACs can be soft inherently, but it seems like more than I'd like.

My theory, yet to be tested, is that Shunyata is matching their interconnects as well as PCs to their power distributors. A couple years ago I demo'd some Sigma v2 XLRs (currently own Sigma v1) and while they sounded absolutely fantastic, they were also too bright and fast for my system with just Denali v2 and Sigma v2 PCs. Now I'm thinking that is exactly what I need to balance the Typhon T2. It's probably meant to work as a whole system.

I'm still chomping a the bit for the Omega signal cables, having already set aside some funds. I really wish they'd drop those soon.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
When I got my DA2 back into my system I noticed the same increase in dimensionality and detail, a little less increase in dynamics, and a change in the tonal qualities towards darker and softer. It definitely has the feel of limitless power, but with the EMM Labs things are now leaning too much into the soft and dark direction. DSD DACs can be soft inherently, but it seems like more than I'd like.

My theory, yet to be tested, is that Shunyata is matching their interconnects as well as PCs to their power distributors. A couple years ago I demo'd some Sigma v2 XLRs (currently own Sigma v1) and while they sounded absolutely fantastic, they were also too bright and fast for my system with just Denali v2 and Sigma v2 PCs. Now I'm thinking that is exactly what I need to balance the Typhon T2. It's probably meant to work as a whole system.

I'm still chomping a the bit for the Omega signal cables, having already set aside some funds. I really wish they'd drop those soon.
They did a photo shoot of the Omega speaker cables last week, so they are getting close!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I do think these distributors absolutely need the QR/BB to complete them, whether it is an Everest, or Denali+T2 or Denali+QR. Not only does it make everything wonderfully 3D, spacious, and layered, but it just balances and tightens up the whole power system. It just works all round better.
Great summary of your experience so far! My Typhon T2 is coming in a few days.
Note that the Denali does have QR/BB. I guess the T2 has more per outlet (at least for its internal 2 outlets).

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Typhon T2 connected. What’s the difference between the two outlets in the T2 and the “supercharged” outlets in the Denali?

Attachments

• IMG_7139.jpg
    IMG_7139.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 23

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Typhon T2 connected. What’s the difference between the two outlets in the T2 and the “supercharged” outlets in the Denali?
Do you have them stacked only for the photo or is that how they are set up? I did a few experiments with the Denali and to my amazement there was a slight difference when adding weight to the top (personally, I didn't like the change). My Denali has the stock feet. YMMV.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Do you have them stacked only for the photo or is that how they are set up? I did a few experiments with the Denali and to my amazement there was a slight difference when adding weight to the top (personally, I didn't like the change). My Denali has the stock feet. YMMV.
Shunyata advises to stack them - you actually have to if you use the Typhon - the umbilical is too short to do anything else.
I have them on a Taiko Daiza base and a Seismion active vibration base is coming. Just the Daiza makes a noticeable difference! The Denali is sitting on Taiko Daiza feet.
Putting the Denali on the Daiza made a noticeable change to background noise.

Remember that the Denali and Typhon are internally potted, so internally generated vibrations are not an issue. Stacking will therefore not be an issue.
All of the filters, PCBs, connections and internal wiring are contained within a monolithic enclosure and then potted with ceramic materials that hermetically seal the contents. This protects the circuits and wiring from humidity and oxidation, and eliminates internal vibration between components.

If you stack without a vibration isolation base, you will increase vibration related distortion. It’s like how a taller building will shake more in an earthquake than a shorter building (of the same construction).

So you should put the Denali/Typhon/Altaira on a good vibration isolation base, especially if you stack them.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123 and PYP

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Very impressed with what I’m hearing from the T2. Keep in mind that takes at least 50 hours, Shunyata recommends 100 hours, to break-in — and even 100 is likely low. Keep this in mind before judging the T2. If you judge it after <50 hours you’re making a mistake - it sounded OK but not great initially. After day 2 things changed dramatically.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I am still not fully clear on what the differences are between connecting a component to the Denali (that is connected to the T2 via an umbilical) vs directly to the T2? I imagine the “supercharging” effect that Shunyata mentions is from the Denali outlets, since those have the dual benefit of the T2 + Denali. But Shunyata still advises to connect an amp into the T2 directly.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I am still not fully clear on what the differences are between connecting a component to the Denali (that is connected to the T2 via an umbilical) vs directly to the T2? I imagine the “supercharging” effect that Shunyata mentions is from the Denali outlets, since those have the dual benefit of the T2 + Denali. But Shunyata still advises to connect an amp into the T2 directly.
WAY more noise reduction. Even on lower power amps I think I still prefer going through the Denali because it cleans up the sound so much.,

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
WAY more noise reduction. Even on lower power amps I think I still prefer going through the Denali because it cleans up the sound so much.,
so you are saying it's better to go through the Denali, not into the T2? That makes sense to me as well. Shunyata says for a high current component like an amp, to connect to the T2.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
so you are saying it's better to go through the Denali, not into the T2? That makes sense to me as well. Shunyata says for a high current component like an amp, to connect to the T2.
For amps, I would try both. It does seem like the Denali does limit current somewhat, but the sonic benefits are also big. For some amps the benefit is greater than the tradeoff, and vice versa. Definitely for lower power and source stuff, the Denali is way better and the adde Typhon T2 only improves it.

As a rule of thumb, a big amp is probably punch harder and have more presence through the T2 only, but...you never know.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing