I am a Mac; I am a PC

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/04/22/mac.pc.users/index.html?hpt=T2

If you ever wanted to know the difference between Steve and I, you now have the answer!!! :D

Amir

t1larg.mac.pc.2.jpg

(CNN) -- Remember those Apple ads that cast the Mac as a 20-something, self-satisfied hipster while the PC was portrayed by an older, square-looking guy in a brown suit?

Well, those characterizations, unfair as they may be, appear to have some truth to them.

An unscientific survey by Hunch, a site that makes recommendations based on detailed user preferences, found that Mac users tend to be younger, more liberal, more fashion-conscious and more likely to live in cities than people who prefer PCs.

Of the 388,000 Hunch users who responded to a question about computer loyalty, 52% identified themselves as PC people as opposed to 25% who said they are Mac devotees. Hunch then cross-referenced those responses with answers to other questions to draw cultural distinctions between the rival Mac and PC camps.

The results suggest Mac users can be seen, depending on your perspective, as bolder and more creative -- or elitist and more pretentious.

The report found that 67% of Mac users have a college or advanced degree, as opposed to 54% of PC users. Mac loyalists are 80% more likely than PC users to be vegetarians, and, unlike PC fans, would rather ride a Vespa scooter than a Harley.

PC users' tastes trend towards casual clothes, tunafish sandwiches, white wine, Hollywood movies, USA Today and Pepsi. Mac users prefer designer or vintage duds, hummus, red wine, indie films, The New York Times and (we're not making this up) San Pellegrino Limonata.

Mac users also are more likely to describe themselves as computer-savvy and "early adopters." PC users tend to describe themselves as better at math and less likely to throw frequent parties.

Hi

I love Mac but find myself using PCs more and more ... For music server I don't see myself using Mac anymore ... unless there is a foobar or a JRMedia Center or a Media Monkey or a Cuetools or cue beautifier or ... you get the point ... for Macs ..., I have no problem with Airport Express, IPad (Wonderful ), iPod Touch, IPhone and the likes they are wonderful accessories built with the usual Apple high standards and the most superb interface thus yet seen on a commercial computing platform but right now .. A PC (controlled by an iPad by the way) suits me just fine as music server ... I would not have thought so 2 years ago so now my Mac laptop has become truly a laptop (not THE music server) and there I prefer it and by a mile to anything PC I have laid my hands on

I am so used now to my iMac that when I use my laptop at the office I feel like interacting with it in slow-mode.

My wife's PC frustrates me, but I think that is probably the simple thing of no longer being used to where all the (virtual) buttons are compared to my Mac. Back in the day I could switch from the Mac to Windows platform without any trouble. I still preferred Mac, but just because the user interface is so good. I don't think I've much that I can't get done on both.

Tim

Over the last 35 years I've used everything from 1958 IBM 1401's to the latest greats PC's and Mac's. I can state that Apple products are the best engineered, most consistent and easiest to use.
If I recommend anything, it's usually a Mac.

However, that does not stop me from building my own PC's and using four of them around the hose to provide file services, Audio playback and HTPC platforms.

It's all about what's the right tool for the job at hand, and sometimes it's a PC, sometimes a Mac.

My mobiles are all Apple, but they control PC-based foobar servers, a Denon preamp and my own companies PC-based products. So it's a heterogeneous world out there.

The wife, she won't touch a PC, not for any amount of money. She's Apple to the core, but then, she's a graphics artist...

You can right click on a Mac now too ;)

Don't know about that... I have two mouse buttons, you have one so I can go twice as fast!!! :D

When I bought my iBook G4, the first accessory I got was a two-button mouse. When I replaced it with a MacBook Pro, it took me about a week to get used to the multi-touch trackpad. I haven't used a mouse since.

Regarding the CNN survey, it seems that I'm a PC.

Tim

but I think that is probably the simple thing of no longer being used to where all the (virtual) buttons are compared to my Mac

Familiarity, yeah, I think this is part of why I like the Mac over a PC. And certainly, the UI has become more alike (the PC more Mac-like IMO) over time. But, case in point, I still run into stuff like this (yesterday) with the PC: installed the Universal Remote programming software, plugged in my remote, and get a message that the driver for it can't be found. Would you like windows to find the driver? Sure. Have rarely found such an offer to work on a PC, and in fact, Windows fails to find it. Go into devices and hardware -- my remote is listed is an unknown device, good. But the option to manually install the driver, which I've located, is not available. Bad. Find that I may need to install 'Active Sync' to activate the driver, this fails. Find that actually for Windows 7 on my new Samsung laptop, I may need to install Windows Mobile Device Manager; Active Sync doesn't work with W7. Okay, but I think why would Windows Mobile Device Manager have anything to do with a USB connected remote control. Alas, this does the trick. Windows now finds the correct driver and installs it, counterintuitivity (if that's a word) aside. Further, why isn't this device manager installed w/Windows to begin with? As I've run into before, why is plug 'n play still unreliable? This is something I never run into on a Mac.

I too have ditched a mouse for a trackpad -- got used to it on a Macbook Pro, and replaced my multibutton Mac mouse w/trackpad too.

Familiarity, yeah, I think this is part of why I like the Mac over a PC. And certainly, the UI has become more alike (the PC more Mac-like IMO) over time. But, case in point, I still run into stuff like this (yesterday) with the PC: installed the Universal Remote programming software, plugged in my remote, and get a message that the driver for it can't be found. Would you like windows to find the driver? Sure. Have rarely found such an offer to work on a PC, and in fact, Windows fails to find it. Go into devices and hardware -- my remote is listed is an unknown device, good. But the option to manually install the driver, which I've located, is not available. Bad. Find that I may need to install 'Active Sync' to activate the driver, this fails. Find that actually for Windows 7 on my new Samsung laptop, I may need to install Windows Mobile Device Manager; Active Sync doesn't work with W7. Okay, but I think why would Windows Mobile Device Manager have anything to do with a USB connected remote control. Alas, this does the trick. Windows now finds the correct driver and installs it, counterintuitivity (if that's a word) aside. Further, why isn't this device manager installed w/Windows to begin with? As I've run into before, why is plug 'n play still unreliable? This is something I never run into on a Mac.
I went through all that. The fault 99% falls on the shoulders of URC. Their ability to write software makes Microsoft look like the heaven's gift to programming!

Likely the remote uses WindowsCE. So they thought, why write extra software? Let's use Windows Mobile Connectivity software. Problem is that, the team that developed that is not in Windows and lives in their own world. Their software never worked right and at any rate, has a lot of bits to it.

As you, I could not get the software to work until I searched and found out about the driver not installing. But my fix was very simple in right clicking and getting the driver to install. At least that's what I think I had to do.

BTW, I have documented my own grief with Apple connectivity software just the same. In my case, I couldn't get iPad2 to connect to iTunes no matter what. The solution involved manually finding and installing Bonjour -- something no body would know how to do. Spent two days googling and finding nothing. Had I not thread that here from Gary, the journey may have been longer than that.

But here is the ironic part: the URC software only runs on the PC. There are thousands of apps that don't run on a Mac. So if you want to get work done outside of email and browsing, Mac can be quite limiting.

So if you want to get work done outside of email and browsing, Mac can be quite limiting.

Cute Amir. I switched because at the time because there was no Protools for Windows.

I went through all that. The fault 99% falls on the shoulders of URC. Their ability to write software makes Microsoft look like the heaven's gift to programming!

Likely the remote uses WindowsCE. So they thought, why write extra software? Let's use Windows Mobile Connectivity software. Problem is that, the team that developed that is not in Windows and lives in their own world. Their software never worked right and at any rate, has a lot of bits to it.

As you, I could not get the software to work until I searched and found out about the driver not installing. But my fix was very simple in right clicking and getting the driver to install. At least that's what I think I had to do.

BTW, I have documented my own grief with Apple connectivity software just the same. In my case, I couldn't get iPad2 to connect to iTunes no matter what. The solution involved manually finding and installing Bonjour -- something no body would know how to do. Spent two days googling and finding nothing. Had I not thread that here from Gary, the journey may have been longer than that.

But here is the ironic part: the URC software only runs on the PC. There are thousands of apps that don't run on a Mac. So if you want to get work done outside of email and browsing, Mac can be quite limiting.

Amir,your above example of URC is a perfect example as to why I much prefer Mac over Pc. With Apple, you know that they control their 3rd party vendors and software writers, so that this type of thing does not happen. With Microsoft and Pc's, any Tom, Dick and Harry is writing software that may or may not work with their machines. Therefore, the result is Beta testing on the Public consumer, which is what you are essentially describing in your URC example.:(
BTW, I still fail to understand why when you acquired your Ipad, having the issues that you describe, that you didn't simply return it to the Apple store and have them address it for you. I'm pretty sure that any 'Genius' would have saved you a lot of grief and had you up and running in no time:D
Oh, try and do the same with a PC based product....:rolleyes:

Funny you had the same problem Amir. Occurred to me that it was a URC problem, those guys clearly aren't software writers (which probably means their days are numbered) But why is the Windows Mobile Device Manager written by a group that isn't coordinated with Windows?

BTW, I have documented my own grief with Apple connectivity software just the same. In my case, I couldn't get iPad2 to connect to iTunes no matter what ...But here is the ironic part: the URC software only runs on the PC. There are thousands of apps that don't run on a Mac. So if you want to get work done outside of email and browsing, Mac can be quite limiting.

Since I stick in the Mac world for most things, I've no connectivity issues w/the iPad, iPhone, or devices by other vendors for that matter. I find this liberating rather than limiting. However, I bought a PC laptop last week only because of some low use A/V programs -- URC, Anthem, Meridian, etc. -- I use or used. Getting these to work via emulation software on a Mac is very hit 'n miss. But a Mac takes care of everything from accounting to film editing for me, so the limitation is really just these rather oddball programs. Am curious about J. River though and may give that a try.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu