Oct 22, 2011

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thank you. That's what I thought!

I think this is why the Technics RS-1500 and Otari MX-5050 became popular decks. They can play and record 1/2 track reels and play 1/4 track reels. Very flexible.

Reactions: Lee

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I think this is why the Technics RS-1500 and Otari MX-5050 became popular decks. They can play and record 1/2 track reels and play 1/4 track reels. Very flexible.
Yes indeed. The Studer A807 is probably the best 4 track capable machine available. It has the option of adding a 4 track head although most of the machines on the market don't have this. NOS 4 track heads for the 807 are still available in some places. Some people also switch head blocks on the A77/B77/PR99. Once the heads have been aligned on each head block, it is very easy to switch, and the head blocks are easily available and relatively cheap.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

If only the Otari decks were as pretty as the Revox or Technics. ;)

Last edited:

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
You can have separate head blocks on many machines, some OEM, some custom, as long as they are easily replaceable. Changing a block on a B77 is not something you can do in three minutes.

In practice, if you have some room, it is better just to have a 4-track machine.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hi Lee, how do you find the quality of the commercial 4 track tapes on the A77 when compared to the modern 15ips tapes from Tape Project, Analogue Productions etc ? These 4 track tapes can be bought for very little money in most cases.

The 15 its tapes are clearly better. However, the 7.5 its tapes are also pretty good in my own experience on the A77. The 7.5 ips tapes sound better on the PR99.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
You can have separate head blocks on many machines, some OEM, some custom, as long as they are easily replaceable. Changing a block on a B77 is not something you can do in three minutes.

In practice, if you have some room, it is better just to have a 4-track machine.

If I am not mistaken, it's difficult or impossible to add flux magnetic heads to the PR99 decks.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Congratulations on the new R2R deck Lee and welcome to the PR 99 club.:)

Reactions: tapepath

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congratulations on the new R2R deck Lee and welcome to the PR 99 club.:)

Thank you! :)

I am really having fun with the ReVox!

Reactions: tapepath

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I have received my B77HS Mk1 machine, refurbished by Peter Mony of Nagravox in Australia. I have purchased an extra 4 track headblock and a repro card from Audvance. The new repro card allows me to switch between NAB and CCIR, since the HS machine comes with CCIR only. Switching the headblock and the card is not difficult. I have about fifty 4-track 7.5ips titles (some are box sets or contain the equivalent of 2 LPs). I would rate most of the tapes I have played so far as being better than the LPs of the same era. LPs of this age (Mercury SR, Decca SXL2000s, RCA LSC, EMI SAX etc) are often noisy and distorted, but most of the tapes sound clean and undistorted. Dynamics is often superior, and can sometimes approach that of the 15 ips production masters and commercial releases I have. The EMI titles all sound significantly better than the much more expensive original LPs with gold and cream label. For music lovers with an affinity for recordings of this era, this is the best format to hear what the original recordings sound like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing