I Went To Church And Can't Wait To Go Back

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
You wankers and your classical music! :p If you have been to as many arena concerts as I have, well you have to reach for 11 at home! Solo Piano not so much. Any classical that I might listen to has to be the Heavy Metal of classical and then again...11!
There is one concert I went to that made me 100% committed to ear plugs from that night on and that was the Scorps at the Los Angeles Forum, 10 minutes in I was begging our server for a napkins to pack my ears, holy crap that was loud.
When I listen, I listen loud or loudness to previous events and perceptions. When I do blues and jazz I generally adjust to small venue levels, still loud, maybe 7 to 8, lol.
When I put on Judas Priest Stained Class, that $hit is on 11 the whole album, its designed to be listened to that way! To be fair Mike and Steve's kit pull that album off very well much to their chagrin, would have gone louder, but hey, not my equipment to put the beans to!
My favorite place of all time for metal was The Universal Amphitheater because they cared about sound levels and quality. They would take it to the limit just short of distortion and overloading the building, never needed ear plugs there. I always took them but never used them. The metal heads would always be screaming "Turn it up" but they never did, it was fantastic. Sadly its a Harry Potter ride now.
It's been said that Americans listen louder than most, don't know if its true or not but I am 100% guilty of it and don't intend to change that anytime soon.
At the same time I would be perfectly content with Justin Johnson with his steel guitar or his 3 string shovel guitar and his battery operated little amp out on my front stoop at his preferred levels for a few hours, the man simply needs no other musicians to accompany him, in fact they get in his way.

Different strokes, different levels, different folks.

Reactions: wil

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
When I fall into a Sabath hole, I play The Wizard quite loud. I have very broad taste. I turn up The Who, V Halen, Aerosmith.
That blues guy Justin, I would not go over the top loud. No need. He's a great player. When I played I had a very similar style. Not as much slide but a lot of pentatonic in a 1,4,5 E, A and D. Bill Harkleroad taught me.

Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens. Not loud. No need. I actually push the volume a lot more with Bruno Mars or Taylor Swift. Yea, she has 3 songs I like.

I don't do large Day On The Green type shows anymore. Last big one was Fleetwood Mac at the Tacoma Dome. The venue sucked. I don't bother. They try to make up for a bad venue with volume. And the crowds are mostly a bunch of assholes.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Saw Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden last night. My kind of church. And the music was ...loud (in the 17th row). Ear plugs a must. I've seen him 3 times at the Garden (out of his 85 shows there). Fortunately they have the sound for him down to a science (he says he's their "house" band which is kind of true ;) ) . Superb sound for any venue, not just a big venue.

The guy just keeps getting better with age. Last night's show was the best I've seen him perform. His music, his showmanship, his artistry, his talent, his stories, his humor, his band....If you aren't dancing, singing, laughing or crying, you must be dead.

BTW, we saw lots of older parents and their millennial/GenZ kids there together. Very good sign.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Saw Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden last night. My kind of church. And the music was ...loud (in the 17th row). Ear plugs a must. I've seen him 3 times at the Garden (out of his 85 shows there). Fortunately they have the sound for him down to a science (he says he's their "house" band which is kind of true ;) ) . Superb sound for any venue, not just a big venue.

The guy just keeps getting better with age. Last night's show was the best I've seen him perform. His music, his showmanship, his artistry, his talent, his stories, his humor, his band....If you aren't dancing, singing, laughing or crying, you must be dead.

BTW, we saw lots of older parents and their millennial/GenZ kids there together. Very good sign.
If you said it wasloud it must have been very loud LOL. As a Long Islandex I grew up with him and have seen him on numerous oiccassions, he does put on a great show and always had a great band. Brenda and Eddie...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You wankers and your classical music! :p If you have been to as many arena concerts as I have, well you have to reach for 11 at home! Solo Piano not so much. Any classical that I might listen to has to be the Heavy Metal of classical and then again...11!
There is one concert I went to that made me 100% committed to ear plugs from that night on and that was the Scorps at the Los Angeles Forum, 10 minutes in I was begging our server for a napkins to pack my ears, holy crap that was loud.
When I listen, I listen loud or loudness to previous events and perceptions. When I do blues and jazz I generally adjust to small venue levels, still loud, maybe 7 to 8, lol.
When I put on Judas Priest Stained Class, that $hit is on 11 the whole album, its designed to be listened to that way! To be fair Mike and Steve's kit pull that album off very well much to their chagrin, would have gone louder, but hey, not my equipment to put the beans to!
My favorite place of all time for metal was The Universal Amphitheater because they cared about sound levels and quality. They would take it to the limit just short of distortion and overloading the building, never needed ear plugs there. I always took them but never used them. The metal heads would always be screaming "Turn it up" but they never did, it was fantastic. Sadly its a Harry Potter ride now.
It's been said that Americans listen louder than most, don't know if its true or not but I am 100% guilty of it and don't intend to change that anytime soon.
At the same time I would be perfectly content with Justin Johnson with his steel guitar or his 3 string shovel guitar and his battery operated little amp out on my front stoop at his preferred levels for a few hours, the man simply needs no other musicians to accompany him, in fact they get in his way.

Different strokes, different levels, different folks.

Great guitar videos, thanks!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You wankers and your classical music! :p If you have been to as many arena concerts as I have, well you have to reach for 11 at home!
Been to ACDC thrice (once outdoors, once indoors, once outdoors with Axl as lead singer), GnR thrice (twice indoors, outdoors with Slash reunion), black Sabbath and soundgarden outdoors, Eric Clapton at Royal Albert Hall 4 times, once outdoors, Knopfler at Royal Albert Hall twice, deep purple, Iron maiden, eagles, all once indoors, and led zep cover bands who were the best of those. Also some of the opening acts for these artists, for ACDC once it was Megadeth iirc. Seen some other small bands.

Eric Clapton with Steve Winwood at Royal Albert Hall was a fantastic performance also acoustically. RAH is great for amplified not so for classical even though they have the proms there.

Dual woofer altecs my favorite to reproduce rock after Mike's. Garrard and SPU sufficient. Good LP records a must (don't mean MoFi lol)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Been to ACDC thrice (once outdoors, once indoors, once outdoors with Axl as lead singer), GnR thrice (twice indoors, outdoors with Slash reunion), black Sabbath and soundgarden outdoors, Eric Clapton at Royal Albert Hall 4 times, once outdoors, Knopfler at Royal Albert Hall twice, deep purple, Iron maiden, eagles, all once indoors, and led zep cover bands who were the best of those. Also some of the opening acts for these artists, for ACDC once it was Megadeth iirc. Seen some other small bands.

Eric Clapton with Steve Winwood at Royal Albert Hall was a fantastic performance also acoustically. RAH is great for amplified not so for classical even though they have the proms there.

Dual woofer altecs my favorite to reproduce rock after Mike's. Garrard and SPU sufficient. Good LP records a must (don't mean MoFi lol)
In My Time of Dying at Mikes changed your life didn't it...

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Mikes Led Z tape is a mind blowing experience.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
So, did they serve real wine with communion or grape juice ?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Grape Juice. I was a bit disappointed.

After hearing Mikes Led Z, I ran home and played my album. It was so horrible I turned off my stereo and walked away.
Since then I bought a led Z tape myself. It is the best copy of the media I have. But its nothing like in Mikes room.

There are more copies I would like to get, but blank tape is becoming hard to get. I might look again soon.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing