Ideon Absolute E and Time Demo

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Also, the Horizon can work as a pre for you TT and CD. It has analogue inputs. Or multiple inputs if you want it to Dac fro transport as well. It is a marvel. Also, also it has the ability to tune to any gear via tube rolling.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Also, the Horizon can work as a pre for you TT and CD. It has analogue inputs. Or multiple inputs if you want it to Dac fro transport as well. It is a marvel. Also, also it has the ability to tune to any gear via tube rolling.

Thanks again. If I get it I’ll try it on my TT. Depending on the sound, I may sell my VAC phono Pre. As far as my CD, I’ll keep that on the Vitus Line Stage. I’ve only heard the Signature Pre from Vitus, and I’m receiving the Masterpeice which is above it, but the Signature on CDs is heavenly. Best we‘ve ever heard.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

What about noise? Any perceptible noise using the Horizon?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
It doesnt have phono abilities. Sorry if that confused you. Just a preamp, so phono Pre to it :)
No noise. It is clean as a whistle. For me lots of dacs are clear, big soundstage, imaging, etc, (all the hifi jargon) but Lampi has soul. It has spirit. It has that je ne sais quoi that pulls you in for hours and hours day after day. And when you get that. Old upgraditiis and need a change, you can swap a tube and find something new. That soul puts it above the rest IMO, but each of us has different gear, different synergy and different values to steer the ship. For me, it is as much in the heart as in the ears and that is why I voted Horizon with my hard-earned buck!

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
It looks like the Horizon demo will here on Feb 24… :D

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi Joe!

Do you have any update between Idion and Horizon?
:)

Also if you leave your best 5 speakers that you had had at your home in my thread, it will be nice.

Unfortunately, the logistics couldn’t be worked out to get the Horizon in for a demo. But I have a friend thinking of purchasing one after he hears it at an upcoming show. If he purchases I’ll hear it in my system then.

I have Vitus Masterpiece DAC coming in. I’ll listen to it. It should be great synergy with our Vitus mono amps, Masterpiece Line Stage and Transport. I’ll make a decision then.

On the Vitus Masterpiece DAC the sample rates concern me, 384kHz + DSD128. However, as I have kept investigating, many say that higher sample rates - like 512+ - may distort the sound. Maybe this is one reason why I didn’t enjoy the MSB Select II? Anyway we shall see in about a month or two.

Reactions: facten and thomask

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
That‘s too bad! I was excited for you to get a Horizon.

• Love
Reactions: Audire

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Unfortunately, the logistics couldn’t be worked out to get the Horizon in for a demo. But I have a friend thinking of purchasing one after he hears it at an upcoming show. If he purchases I’ll hear it in my system then.

I have Vitus Masterpiece DAC coming in. I’ll listen to it. It should be great synergy with our Vitus mono amps, Masterpiece Line Stage and Transport. I’ll make a decision then.

On the Vitus Masterpiece DAC the sample rates concern me, 384kHz + DSD128. However, as I have kept investigating, many say that higher sample rates - like 512+ - may distort the sound. Maybe this is one reason why I didn’t enjoy the MSB Select II? Anyway we shall see in about a month or two.
the MSB Select II is a 'bit perfect' dac. it does not up-sample. unless you are playing a 512+ dsd source, it won't be going there. so if you did not enjoy the MSB Select II it was not due to any unwanted upsampling of all inputs. and if you did not enjoy it maybe some aspect of the set-up was not ideal? loved my time with it. YMMV....of course.

i've not heard any high sample rate distortion myself on my Wadax (or previous MSB Select II) and have plenty of high sample rate files. do you know specific high sample rate files that are said to be distorted?

Reactions: thomask

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
the MSB Select II is a 'bit perfect' dac. it does not up-sample. unless you are playing a 512+ dsd source, it won't be going there. so if you did not enjoy the MSB Select II it was not due to any unwanted upsampling of all inputs. and if you did not enjoy it maybe some aspect of the set-up was not ideal? loved my time with it. YMMV....of course.
My set up isn’t deficient! You’ve never heard it! MSB has always sounded too digital! too analytical? EMM Labs DA2V2 easily bested MSB Select II. Sorry you feel it necessary to attack my system, which you've NEVER heard! You condemning systems you’ve never heard is what is deficient!

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
My set up isn’t deficient! You’ve never heard it! MSB has always sounded too digital! too analytical? EMM Labs DA2V2 easily bested MSB Select II. Sorry you feel it necessary to attack my system, which you've NEVER heard!
i apologize if i somehow inferred your system was at fault, i was referring to the set-up of the MSB Select II (dac adjustments?server?/cable?/power? synergy).....not commenting on your system. i can see how i worded it that it could be read that way. sorry.

not everyone loves the MSB Select II, but not sure i have read that someone 'did not enjoy it'.....more that they preferred another dac. obviously i did too as a bought the Wadax. ;) hope you see my point.

i don't own the MSB anymore, but still have great respect for it.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
i apologize if i somehow inferred your system was at fault, i was referring to the set-up of the MSB Select II (dac adjustments?server?/cable?/power? synergy).....not commenting on your system. i can see how i worded it that it could be read that way. sorry.

not everyone loves the MSB Select II, but not sure i have read that someone 'did not enjoy it'.....more that they preferred another dac. obviously i did too. ;) hope you see my point.

i don't own the MSB anymore, but still have great respect for it.
Mike,

Thanks, but I’ve tried to like MSB Select II. I’ve heard it numerous times! Unfortunately, it has always come out lacking! I’m seeking analogue sound! So far MSB hasn’t provided it! It’s close, but not there!

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
One thing I know. I will put my money where truth lies …

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

Thanks, but I’ve tried to like MSB Select II. I’ve heard it numerous times! Unfortunately, it has always come out lacking!
i see it more as degrees of good. lesser or greater. not so much missing it in a black and white way. the MSB was only digital sounding in direct compare to the Wadax. mind you, this is not a case of tubes verses solid state. tubes can hide some degree of digital flavor at the cost of information. not all tube dacs are created equal in this regard. but this must be kept in mind as a possibility. nothing wrong with a preference for tubes. but is it more analog? or tubes?....that you are hearing. these are personal views not universally held. just my perspective based on my experiences and my system context.

hey, i have a tubed phono (EMIA) and tubed tape pre (Ampex MR-70).....as well as solid state for both too to directly compare....so i appreciate that tubes can be super high performance and not tubey. my solid state Wadax sounds more like my EMIA and MR-70 than the solid state alternatives.
I’m seeking analogue sound!
me too. seeking 'more' analog sound. which was what pushed me to Wadax. absence of digital nasties in direct compare. much more aligning with my formidable vinyl. for a steep cost.
One thing I know. I will put my money where truth lies …
which......i did.

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
i see it more as degrees of good. lesser or greater. not so much missing it in a black and white way. the MSB was only digital sounding in direct compare to the Wadax. mind you, this is not a case of tubes verses solid state. tubes can hide some degree of digital flavor at the cost of information. not all tube dacs are created equal in this regard. but this must be kept in mind as a possibility. nothing wrong with a preference for tubes. but is it more analog? or tubes?....that you are hearing. these are personal views not universally held. just my perspective based on my experiences and my system context.

hey, i have a tubed phono (EMIA) and tubed tape pre (Ampex MR-70).....as well as solid state for both too to directly compare....so i appreciate that tubes can be super high performance and not tubey. my solid state Wadax sounds more like my EMIA and MR-70 than the solid state alternatives.

me too. seeking 'more' analog sound. which was what pushed me to Wadax. absence of digital nasties in direct compare. much more aligning with my formidable vinyl. for a steep cost.

which......i did.

I’ve now tried many DACs. I'm looking for an analogue sounding DAC. MSB is more digital in its sound, not analogue. It is very analytical - lacking soul...artificial, voices are not natural sounding … dCS, Thrax, and EMM sound more analogue. So, MSB is definitely out as a choice of DACs ….

WADAX isn’t in the picture as it’s butt-ugly - looks like a boom box from the 80s... IMO they may engineer good sound, but really missed it in the looks department. Aesthetics matter.

So far out of the DACs I’ve heard the Ideon Absolute E + Time has been the best. But after I listen to the Vitus Masterpiece DAC I’ll make a decision. I’ll make a purchase prior to hearing the Horizon … but later if the Horizon sounds better, I’ll sell whatever I end up with now and get the Horizon. Or there my be something else out by then …

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
WADAX isn’t in the picture as it’s butt-ugly - looks like a boom box from the 80s... IMO they may engineer good sound, but really missed it in the looks department. Aesthetics matter.
i'm very (not) offended by your insensitive comments. :rolleyes: how could you?:p just kidding, i'm already over it. and......you are not the first to write it.

the best revenge is always living well (and listening well). and i'm doing that part. i consider the Wadax more than beautiful. in person; powerful, elegant and organic too. people walk up to it and admire it naturally. my completely retro-dowdy EMIA phono pre simple black boxes, and 'look at me' darTZeel 'Ironman' gold and red are the perfect counterpoints to the Wadax. for my vibe it's all good. maybe my CS Port LFT1 tt is as beautiful a hifi piece as there is. few don't love it's perfect organic mystical symmetry.

but i respect that the aesthetics and visual vibe of your system works exceptionally well, looks great, and that the Wadax might be too strong a look to fit in. years ago (late 90's) i had Mark Levinson gear (including the big No.33 monos) and a Linn CD-12 and Basis 2500 tt, maple Zoethecus rack, with Wilson Watt Puppy 6.0 speakers in my elegant paneled den and it was a visual delight. i get it. Architectural Digest stuff.

but my system is off in my barn and not in a shared living area. and junking it up with odds and ends visually is my perogative, which i take full advantage of without restriction. and in dim lights......if it sounds better......it looks better to my mind's eye.

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
i'm very (not) offended by your insensitive comments. :rolleyes: how could you?:p just kidding, i'm already over it. and......you are not the first to write it.

the best revenge is always living well (and listening well). and i'm doing that part. i consider the Wadax more than beautiful. in person; powerful, elegant and organic too. people walk up to it and admire it naturally. my completely retro-dowdy EMIA phono pre simple black boxes, and 'look at me' darTZeel 'Ironman' gold and red are the perfect counterpoints to the Wadax. for my vibe it's all good. maybe my CS Port LFT1 tt is as beautiful a hifi piece as there is. few don't love it's perfect organic mystical symmetry.

but i respect that the aesthetics and visual vibe of your system works exceptionally well, looks great, and that the Wadax might be too strong a look to fit in. years ago (late 90's) i had Mark Levinson gear (including the big No.33 monos) and a Linn CD-12 and Basis 2500 tt, maple Zoethecus rack, with Wilson Watt Puppy 6.0 speakers in my elegant paneled den and it was a visual delight. i get it. Architectural Digest stuff.

but my system is off in my barn and not in a shared living area. and junking it up with odds and ends visually is my perogative, which i take full advantage of without restriction. and in dim lights......if it sounds better......it looks better to my mind's eye.

Mike I wasn’t commenting on your system, just the appearance of the WADAX. I don’t like it. I thought about auditioning it one day, but I can‘t get over the aesthetics. We all have different tastes - and that’s ok.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Mike I wasn’t commenting on your system, just the appearance of the WADAX. I don’t like it. I thought about auditioning it one day, but I can‘t get over the aesthetics. We all have different tastes - and that’s ok.
Interesting. My system is in a room of its own (a very small one, unlike Mike's big barn:D), so not in a shared area. For what it's worth, I also find the Wadax design unattractive, BUT that did not deter me from having final short-listed it for the sound -- in fact, I had narrowed my choices to two: the Wadax & the Absolute Epsilon. In full-stack form, these two are still the top digital choices ( in my opinion, YMMV, etc, etc).
Currently I am currently (and impatiently) expecting delivery of an Absolute Time re-everything unit...

Reactions: Audire

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Preliminary Report:

The sound of the Ideon Absolute E + Time is absolutely amazing. This is the best sounding DAC that we’ve ever heard “to date” in our system or in any other. Everything is just right. The soundstage is deep and wide and absolutely fills the room. It’s an amazing natural sound that puts you center stage for the best sound in the house. I literally don’t need a TT with this DAC! It’s really that good.

However, we tried it with two Pre’s. With the EMM Labs Pre and the other the Vitus 103-SL.

The sound that’s is so glorious is with the EMM Pre (gain set to “0” on the DAC). It’s presently playing. However, with the Vitus we discovered that we needed to adjust the DAC gain to “2” to get it to sound its very best, but it was still shy of the EMM presentation.

*** This highlights the need to demo a component in your system before you purchase it. ***

Another possible complication with the Ideon is the fact that you have one USB connection (for your streamer) and one SPDIF connector that goes to the CD Transport. I’m still investigating if it will connect to our Vitus MP-201 Mk. II CD Transport that we desire. I believe it does, but I must be sure.

For the best synergy in our system I probably need to go with the Vitus Pre and CD Transport and then locate the right DAC, though our present EMM PRE, DAC, and SACD already sound amazing in our system. However, I’m looking for what is the best sound to us, nothing less. And the Vitus Pre is very very special!

I still have one more DAC to demo, the Lampi Horizon. I’ve read great things about it. I have a friend that received one lately and absolutely loves it. I’m looking forward to the Horizon demo!
Hi Joe. I have been following your journey and it's all very exciting. I can tell you're having a ball! You are a lucky man and, of course it's wonderful to have a devoted dealer like Tony at Ellington Hi-Fi helping to support and the component evaluations. Service like this is the gold standard and IMHO what audiophiles investing in high-end audio of this caliber should receive. Take care.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi Joe. I have been following your journey and it's all very exciting. I can tell you're having a ball! You are a lucky man and, of course it's wonderful to have a devoted dealer like Tony at Ellington Hi-Fi helping to support and the component evaluations. Service like this is the gold standard and IMHO what audiophiles investing in high-end audio of this caliber should receive. Take care.

Many thanks for your kind words. It has been fun. And Tony is a great guy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing