If you still spin CDs, this may be the best option.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I am doing experiment on different combination of digital cables.

It appears to be sensitive to digital cables,

With some combination it sound too analytical and hot.

It is going to take a week or more to get the best combination.

But I enjoy the sound of Chord Dave and Mscaler combination so far.

It sound very transparent and detailed with 3D soundstage.

Also with Li Battery Pack on Mscaler, it sounds slightly more clean and transparent.

But my big Li Battery Pack (76000ma) lasts around 5 hours to keep 16 V.

Then I need 5 hours to charge fully.

But it is worth the try while it still sound ok with supplied PS connected to isolation transformer.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Also with Li Battery Pack on Mscaler, it sounds slightly more clean and transparent.

But it is worth the try while it still sound ok with supplied PS connected to isolation transformer.
Hi Thomas,
I ran with the m scaler for the first few months with the stock psu just to settle everything in and because the designer was confident it was the best supply for it.

I found just upgrading the existing captured wire lead from supply to m scaler and upgrading the dc adaptor and then also used a Shunyata c7 to c14 adaptor to allow using a proper power cable from wall to psu the upgraded wire stock supply was considerably better/fuller/more like a linear supply. I wouldn’t go back to the standard unshielded wire stock supply... putting the stock supply into the Triton typhon combination helped the psu quite out a bit but it also made it obvious how poorly shielded wire could bleach the signal.

I’d suggest you see if you can get a tech to use good wire (I used totl furutech) and dc connector (oyaide is nice) for what was a fairly inexpensive upgrade to the stock supply. Plus Shunyata and Voodoo both make high quality pc adaptors so you can go C7 up to C14 and get a proper power cable up in front for it. Both these things made considerable improvements to bass, overall balance and moved towards a more natural/full/rich organic sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
When they say very high frequency they mean well past the audio band. And all circuits require something for some stability.

I don't follow your statement. It compares the original signal to the output and you're left with the original. While you can draw a line on the circuit that makes you think feedback, they're very different. It has no effect on gain, which is exactly how feedback works.
No they mean in the audio band...look at the distortion plots!
The comparison circuit is a differential

Wow, sucks some juice...my 50000mAH runs a full day with 12V going to my streamer.

Cables seem to matter quite a bit even with digital. I am using an old XLO video signal transmission cable as a digital cable (SPDIF, not USB) simply because it sounds very good even compared to some very expensive competitors.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Wow, sucks some juice...my 50000mAH runs a full day with 12V going to my streamer.

Cables seem to matter quite a bit even with digital. I am using an old XLO video signal transmission cable as a digital cable (SPDIF, not USB) simply because it sounds very good even compared to some very expensive competitors.

It uses 16V and with less than half of its capacity it seems to go below 16V with less dynamics.

Thus after 5 hours of use around 60% still remaining, I recharge it.

I can use only pairs of BNC cables between Dave and Mscaler to utilize its maxium 768khz.

I am comparing three different pairs of BNC cables and also two more cables between CD transport, Lyngdorf 2170(as room correction digital eq).

Reactions: morricab

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

In the distortion plots it doesn't really start to rise until after 20khz. And their circuit must suck that it starts so drastically climbing. But all distortion rises with frequency in ALL amplifiers.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In the distortion plots it doesn't really start to rise until after 20khz. And their circuit must suck that it starts so drastically climbing. But all distortion rises with frequency in ALL amplifiers.

No, you are wrong. It doesn’t rise with frequency with all amplifiers...many without feedback are flat wrt frequency. You are correct that it is happening with feedback amplifiers.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
71wQizv4qLL._SS500_.jpg

Today I listened to all 3 CDs of this wonderful performance.

Lucia Popp is one of my favorite Soprano with clear voice.

I never heard of Klaus Konig before but his performance is also excellent.

The last time that I had attended Tanhauser Opera was back to 1981 (38 years ago). ;)

I started playing this CD to test soundstage performance of Chord Dave and Mscaler.

But I ended up playing all 3 CDs.

Chord Dave and Mscaler is very excellent at giving deep, wide and transparent soundstage.

With Li battery feeding Mscaler, human voice has enough fulless not too bright.

I am happy with Chord Dave and Mscaler.

This one can last 3 years or longer in my system.

By the way, Sablon Panetta BNC digital cable work well with good balance of details, warmth and refinement.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Hi Thomas, one of the biggest change you can improve on the Dave + Mscaler is to use grounding on both(Qcore from Nordost, Tripoint etc). I am still waiting for @thesoundoftaos to get me the picture of his Mscaler + TT2 full of Entreq). I believe grounding them has the biggest effect following by power cord. I have try the best power cord on them (Nordost Odin 2, Argento FMR EE, Kuro Power Cable) and there is profound effect compare to lesser cords like Furutech DPS 4-1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing