iFi audio hip-dac2: The Official Thread

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
ok, I get your point. You are right. It's no secret that the majority of the consumer-audio headphone manufacturers and some of the high-end/audiophile ones pay attention to the warm sound of the music as by many that is perceived as comfortable or pleasant. Many audio enthusiasts search for a warm and relaxed sound offering a slight inclination towards the bass frequencies.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I hate that term "warm."
I would not call it "slight." Heavy might describe it better.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am not fussy about the audio terminology. From today onwards we can call it 'slight'. Why warm bothers you?

Also, what are the audio terms that you like?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't think it matters.

The word " warm" is often used as a dismissive term to describe tubes and vinyl.
In reality it is much more complex. The late Harry Pearson (the absolute sound) imo was the best at putting into words what he heard.
I prefer musical,dynamic and more detailed.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I get your point. Some analytical audiophiles stay away from this type of sound.

Let's stress, however, that warm is not necessarily associated with negativity. As far as I am concerned it is usually a neutral term. If anything I would say that warm gravitates towards a positive meaning.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Eg Stephen Colbert in his monolog used the term,"...so much warmer on vinyl. "

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Did you register your original Hip-DAC or Hip-DAC2 with us when you bought it and said that we could contact you about exciting iFi stuff? If so, keep an eye on your email for an exclusive Hip-DAC2 offer.

HipDac2_Lifestyle_Export-5.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think I purchased my Hip-dac from BH. It has been back for repair so I should be good.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Check out the great hip-dac2 review by Ste Knight for makeuseof.com! See what he has to say about the hip-dac2:

Capable of powering even the most demanding of wired headphones, the Hip-DAC2 makes the perfect portable partner for any audiophile looking to take their hi-resolution audio on the go with them. At only $189, you're unlikely to find a better portable DAC/amp on the market right now.

https://www.makeuseof.com/ifi-hip-dac-2-review/

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Just Sharing a new customer's thoughts and excitement!

This is what Mark Williams, from Florida, USA had to say about his hip-dac2 purchase!

"I'm excited for my first audiophile-grade DAC. I bought a 4.4mm balanced cable for my AKG
K240s just for this. I do have to wait for my Pixel 6 Pro to get an update to support TIDAL MQA
but it's amazing with my PC so far!"

Get Yours!

Cheers!!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Did you register your original Hip-DAC or Hip-DAC2 with us when you bought it and said that we could contact? you about exciting iFi stuff? If so, keep an eye on your email for an exclusive Hip-DAC2 offer.

View attachment 104816
I never received "an exclusive Hip-Dac2 offer.:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Adding for conversation and comparison...

Check out the review of the hip-dac 2 this May by Ste Knight of Make Use Of.

"Capable of powering even the most demanding of wired headphones, the hip-dac2 makes the perfect portable partner for any audiophile looking to take their hi-resolution audio on the go with them. At only $189, you’re unlikely to find a better portable DAC/amp on the market right now.”

Full review here - https://ifi-audio.com/products/hip-dac2/

Cheers!!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
"Delivers stunning improvements over your smartphone’s built-in DAC."

James Barber of TechHive loved the hip-dac2 in his review. And they gave us an Editors' Choice Award.

Thanks, guys!

Read more here...

Cheers!!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
More customer thoughts and observations...

This is what Robert French from Tyne & Wear, UK, thought of his hip-dac2

"Very impressive product with a beautiful build quality. Produces outstanding sound. Being a mobile phone/laptop listener, portability and compact design is very important for myself, this device ticks all the boxes. This is an easy recommendation to friends."

Thanks, Robert!!

Cheers!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing