iFi Audio Neo Stream - The Official Thread

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for the info. I was using "throwing away bits" a bit loosely there, to mean degradation, so thanks, too, for the clarification.

I suppose another option would be to control volume through Roon, though I don't know if that'd be preferable.
It kind of is throwing away bits in reality.
I'm using Roon with my demo unit and using the Roon control of the volume in Neo Stream. Works wonderfully, but still didn't have the time to try other options.

fishermorgan

Nov 2, 2022
It kind of is throwing away bits in reality.
I'm using Roon with my demo unit and using the Roon control of the volume in Neo Stream. Works wonderfully, but still didn't have the time to try other options.
Question: Any professional reviews out there yet on the NEO Stream?

gryffe

Nov 17, 2022
Hi, just joined forum today as I bought the Neo Stream and noticed that IFI respond to posts on here as well as owners of the Neo.

Set up the Neo yesterday afternoon and have tinkered with it for an hour or two and hoping to get some answers that might give me some quick wins.
I have Roon, and I have subscriptions for Qobuz, Tidal (trial), Audirvana (trial) and Apple Music. What I am finding so far is that Roon is seamless, and I can connect to Qobuz and Tidal apps on there and play back music no problem. I am playing back from a Mytek Brooklyn DAC/pre amp using USB connected to the Neo streamer. However when I want to switch away from Roon and use Audirvana via the DLNA setting on the Neo I don't get any sound unless I switch off/on the DAC/preamp and/or the Neo streamer first. Any idea how to overcome this as it is a bit annoying, I dont want to have to reboot pieces of hifi kit any time I want to switch between music services, and anyway this has never been a problem with other streamers I have used in the past. Another issue is that I can only get sound if I use the USB output between the DAC/preamp and the Neo, if I switch to SP/DIF Coaxial cable I don't get any sound even if I switch off/on the DAC/preamp and/or Neo Streamer. I am pretty confident that this is a problem related to the Neo, because when I use the same Coaxial cable to play back music from my CD player I can get sound no problem, and the CD player is connected by Coaxial to the same DAC/preamp that I am using with the Neo.

Hopefully these aren't schoolboy errors :) Grateful for any help. Thanks.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Question: Any professional reviews out there yet on the NEO Stream?
On the way, but nothing has been released yet, I think. Sooner than later :)

Hi, just joined forum today as I bought the Neo Stream and noticed that IFI respond to posts on here as well as owners of the Neo.

Set up the Neo yesterday afternoon and have tinkered with it for an hour or two and hoping to get some answers that might give me some quick wins.
I have Roon, and I have subscriptions for Qobuz, Tidal (trial), Audirvana (trial) and Apple Music. What I am finding so far is that Roon is seamless, and I can connect to Qobuz and Tidal apps on there and play back music no problem. I am playing back from a Mytek Brooklyn DAC/pre amp using USB connected to the Neo streamer. However when I want to switch away from Roon and use Audirvana via the DLNA setting on the Neo I don't get any sound unless I switch off/on the DAC/preamp and/or the Neo streamer first. Any idea how to overcome this as it is a bit annoying, I dont want to have to reboot pieces of hifi kit any time I want to switch between music services, and anyway this has never been a problem with other streamers I have used in the past. Another issue is that I can only get sound if I use the USB output between the DAC/preamp and the Neo, if I switch to SP/DIF Coaxial cable I don't get any sound even if I switch off/on the DAC/preamp and/or Neo Streamer. I am pretty confident that this is a problem related to the Neo, because when I use the same Coaxial cable to play back music from my CD player I can get sound no problem, and the CD player is connected by Coaxial to the same DAC/preamp that I am using with the Neo.

Hopefully these aren't schoolboy errors :) Grateful for any help. Thanks.
Thanks for reaching out to us :)
Obviously I need to ask the usual suspect questions:
Which software version are you running? Have you updated it yet?

Our streamers have a autodetect feature on the USB output. It has priority over other outputs. To switch to other outputs, please enter settings and change output to "Digital outputs". That will deactivate USB output and turn on the other digital outputs. It is a mean for our streamers to reduce noise.

Reactions: gryffe

gryffe

Nov 17, 2022
On the way, but nothing has been released yet, I think. Sooner than later :)

Thanks for reaching out to us :)
Obviously I need to ask the usual suspect questions:
Which software version are you running? Have you updated it yet?

Our streamers have a autodetect feature on the USB output. It has priority over other outputs. To switch to other outputs, please enter settings and change output to "Digital outputs". That will deactivate USB output and turn on the other digital outputs. It is a mean for our streamers to reduce noise.
@AMR / iFi audio Hi, thanks for reply. I had actually managed to upgrade the software earlier on this morning when I finally managed to get the remote control to work on my Ipad. Still can't get Coaxial to work on Audirvana, although it does work with Apple, Spotify and Amazon. I'll try and get a solution from Audirvana.
On the subject of the remote, I can't get it to work all the time on ifi.local. After a while it shows a "connection failed" error. It was great using it for an hour or so earlier this morning to play my local tunes.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@AMR / iFi audio Hi, thanks for reply. I had actually managed to upgrade the software earlier on this morning when I finally managed to get the remote control to work on my Ipad. Still can't get Coaxial to work on Audirvana, although it does work with Apple, Spotify and Amazon. I'll try and get a solution from Audirvana.
On the subject of the remote, I can't get it to work all the time on ifi.local. After a while it shows a "connection failed" error. It was great using it for an hour or so earlier this morning to play my local tunes.
Hi, sorry, I must have missed your reply. Is the problem still present?

BlackMore

Jan 20, 2023
Hello! Is the DAC level in Neo better then in zen one signature? Should I use ZOS connected via USB, for example, with Neo, or it doesn't make sense?

Thanks

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello! Is the DAC level in Neo better then in zen one signature? Should I use ZOS connected via USB, for example, with Neo, or it doesn't make sense?

Thanks
Hi!
I like the iDSD Neo more than the ZOS (which still is a great DAC). You need to consider one thing: with iDSD Neo you get more, than a nicer DAC. You also get iPurifier 3 and the SPDIF iPurifier 2. They are both capable of further enhancing the sound quality of your DAC, and you get them as a part of iDSD Neo set. So yes, I would say the difference is worth the extra budget.

ridom

Jan 26, 2021
Hello again. Finally, I bought the Neo and it's really a great product. I am using it mainly as a streamer since I already have other DAC. While I am now finishing to set it up, I have some questions: 1) why the artwork does not appear in the screen when playing DSD?, 2) I realized that Roon is playable in 2 "'system mode" selections, Roon and AIO; is there a preference among both?; 3) every time I want to change from USB to I2S, do I have to go to the menu in AIO and do it? Or is there another way? Since it is a little bit uncomfortable to do it (a remote control would have solved these issues in a more efficient way)
Many thx and congratulations
Ridom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Was it essentially plug and play?

BlackMore

Jan 20, 2023
Hi!
I like the iDSD Neo more than the ZOS (which still is a great DAC). You need to consider one thing: with iDSD Neo you get more, than a nicer DAC. You also get iPurifier 3 and the SPDIF iPurifier 2. They are both capable of further enhancing the sound quality of your DAC, and you get them as a part of iDSD Neo set. So yes, I would say the difference is worth the extra budget.
Thank you, but I meant Neo Stream)

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello again. Finally, I bought the Neo and it's really a great product. I am using it mainly as a streamer since I already have other DAC. While I am now finishing to set it up, I have some questions: 1) why the artwork does not appear in the screen when playing DSD?, 2) I realized that Roon is playable in 2 "'system mode" selections, Roon and AIO; is there a preference among both?; 3) every time I want to change from USB to I2S, do I have to go to the menu in AIO and do it? Or is there another way? Since it is a little bit uncomfortable to do it (a remote control would have solved these issues in a more efficient way)
Many thx and congratulations
Ridom
This may be an issue. Was the software updated? Are the album covers formatted the same as with other albums? Roon specific one is preferred as it turns off unused features reducing noise. Also, yes, you have to go to the AIO to change that. The point of dedicated setting is that it turns off other features as above. If you have any further questions of concerns, feel free to message on this thread. :)

classdstreamer

Mar 25, 2021
Hi AMR/iFi audio,

I'm a big fan of iFi gear, and I've use various iFi gear throughout my systems over the last few years. In my main stereo system, I run a Zen Stream (with an iPower Elite) into a Peachtree Nova 300 integrated with great results. I also convert the ethernet to fiber and back using TP-Link converters and transceivers (with an iPowerX on the converter closest to the streamer), and fiber conversion makes a significant difference in my system.

I'm interested in the Neo Stream as a possible upgrade, and I wonder if you can weigh in on what aspects of the Neo Stream might make the upgrade worthwhile for me. (The NEO is an aspirational purchase for me, and I want to be fairly confident before I take the plunge.) Here are the major considerations I can think of:

(1) Whether the streaming section of the iFi NEO Stream outperforms the iFi Zen Stream.
(2) Whether the OptiBox transceiver outperforms off-the-shelf fiber converters, like the TP-Link MC220L converters I use.
(3) Whether the DAC section of the NEO Stream might outperform the DAC section of the Peachtree.

I would settle for modest improvements across the board, or for significant improvements in one or more areas, vs my current system. Due to aesthetic considerations, I would tuck away the NEO Stream with only the Peachtree and speakers showing. (Like the Zen Stream, the NEO Stream's small design makes this possible.) And, if the NEO Stream turned out to be a great sonic fit, and if the digital volume control was passable, I would look into ultimately upgrading the Peachtree Nova 300 integrated to one of their power amps with balanced inputs. In sum, if the NEO Stream offered sonic improvements in one of the areas above, the NEO Stream could fit nicely into my system build order and living constraints. Thanks!

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi AMR/iFi audio,

I'm a big fan of iFi gear, and I've use various iFi gear throughout my systems over the last few years. In my main stereo system, I run a Zen Stream (with an iPower Elite) into a Peachtree Nova 300 integrated with great results. I also convert the ethernet to fiber and back using TP-Link converters and transceivers (with an iPowerX on the converter closest to the streamer), and fiber conversion makes a significant difference in my system.

I'm interested in the Neo Stream as a possible upgrade, and I wonder if you can weigh in on what aspects of the Neo Stream might make the upgrade worthwhile for me. (The NEO is an aspirational purchase for me, and I want to be fairly confident before I take the plunge.) Here are the major considerations I can think of:

(1) Whether the streaming section of the iFi NEO Stream outperforms the iFi Zen Stream.
(2) Whether the OptiBox transceiver outperforms off-the-shelf fiber converters, like the TP-Link MC220L converters I use.
(3) Whether the DAC section of the NEO Stream might outperform the DAC section of the Peachtree.

I would settle for modest improvements across the board, or for significant improvements in one or more areas, vs my current system. Due to aesthetic considerations, I would tuck away the NEO Stream with only the Peachtree and speakers showing. (Like the Zen Stream, the NEO Stream's small design makes this possible.) And, if the NEO Stream turned out to be a great sonic fit, and if the digital volume control was passable, I would look into ultimately upgrading the Peachtree Nova 300 integrated to one of their power amps with balanced inputs. In sum, if the NEO Stream offered sonic improvements in one of the areas above, the NEO Stream could fit nicely into my system build order and living constraints. Thanks!
Thank you for your kind words :)
1. Yes, while it uses similar software, but hardware is better on the Neo Stream.
2. It is not anything special network-wise, but it is built with low noise in mind
3. Hard to say. The analogue section of Neo Stream is on par with the Zen One Signature. You will have to decide if that is good enough for you.
Hit me up, if you have any other questions :)

dh33

Feb 1, 2023
I have the ifi neo stream and don't want to use the inbuilt volume control as I use a separate pre-amp. I set the "Mixer Type" to "None" but after a restart or power-off/on the "Mixer Type" resets to software, reactivating the software volume control. Does anyone else have this issue? Is this a bug?

Thanks

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have the ifi neo stream and don't want to use the inbuilt volume control as I use a separate pre-amp. I set the "Mixer Type" to "None" but after a restart or power-off/on the "Mixer Type" resets to software, reactivating the software volume control. Does anyone else have this issue? Is this a bug?

Thanks
Hi,
It is the first time that I'm hearing of this issue. Can you please confirm the following was done:
- you have the newest software
- after you make the changes, you save them

What kind of software are you using with the Neo Stream? Sometimes, the software can override the settings.

dh33

Feb 1, 2023
Hi,
It is the first time that I'm hearing of this issue. Can you please confirm the following was done:
- you have the newest software
- after you make the changes, you save them

What kind of software are you using with the Neo Stream? Sometimes, the software can override the settings.
Hi, Thanks for your response.

Software version on neo stream = 2.15.17
Running a check update tells me "You're already on the latest version"

After making the change I click "Save" in the "Volume Options" sub-section. The section then re-displays with just the "Mixer Type" set to "None" and a "Save" option. I should add that after discovering this issue I set "Default Startup Volume" to 100 to match "Max Volume Level". That change if fixed and doesn't reset after a restart.

As control I typically use BubbleDS. I had a Linn streamer and as the neo stream also shows as a client I saw no reason to change. Note if I set "Mixer Type" to "None" the volume stays at "None" when I send a play list to the neo stream and attempting to use the volume control on the neo stream results in "N/A" appearing on the screen. However if I do a restart via the browser or power on/off via the power button "Mixer Type" reverts to "Software" and the neo stream volume control starts working.

It's as though the change is written to the running configuration but not saved to the start-up configuration.

Cheers, Dennis

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi, Thanks for your response.

Software version on neo stream = 2.15.17
Running a check update tells me "You're already on the latest version"

After making the change I click "Save" in the "Volume Options" sub-section. The section then re-displays with just the "Mixer Type" set to "None" and a "Save" option. I should add that after discovering this issue I set "Default Startup Volume" to 100 to match "Max Volume Level". That change if fixed and doesn't reset after a restart.

As control I typically use BubbleDS. I had a Linn streamer and as the neo stream also shows as a client I saw no reason to change. Note if I set "Mixer Type" to "None" the volume stays at "None" when I send a play list to the neo stream and attempting to use the volume control on the neo stream results in "N/A" appearing on the screen. However if I do a restart via the browser or power on/off via the power button "Mixer Type" reverts to "Software" and the neo stream volume control starts working.

It's as though the change is written to the running configuration but not saved to the start-up configuration.

Cheers, Dennis
Thank you for your reply. Please don't take my questions the wrong way. It's just stuff I have to check, a routine. I'll forward this concern to RND. If you want, you can also make a ticket in our support system to receive additional help an info which I can't provide.
Besides that, how do you feel about the Neo Stream?
Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing