In search of a lasting vinyl compromise

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Now that you mention it, I have questioned the depth of sound from Technics tables in the past. But I've never been familiar enough with the entire system in which I've heard them in order to be sure it was the table.

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I had a Basis Debut vacuum table that had good depth but when AJ died I sold it for fearing the company would fail, it is still going today. Many people just adore the Technics tables and I can see why, they do have alot of strengths but also some weakness too if not mated with the right arms. I may take the plunge into the Kuzma world to see if that table can fill my analog needs.

nickif

May 17, 2013
I’ve listened to Grand prix Monaco with Thales statement arm a few times at dealer showroom, it’s a perfect fit for your music taste.

Bertrand D

Apr 1, 2021
Paris
Hi Nick, thank you.
I am sure that this would indeed be a perfect fit. Unfortunately, this would bring me way above my budget.
On that basis, I followed XV-1's advice and just ordered a Technics SP-10-R with a Thales Simplicity II tonearm and a DS Audio OO3 (EQ cartrige/phono preamplifier).
The price of the Kuzma 4 point has increased recently and I understand that a SP-10-R would require rather a 14" than & 9". The price difference between the two models is substantial (EUR 4,220 to EUR 9,980).
I still need to make up my mind on the choice of the plinth, support base and phono cables. Regarding the plinth, XV-1 recommended an Acoustand Delrinium plinth. If others have alternative suggestions, they are welcome. Same with respect to support base and phono cables.
Many thanks in advance.
Bertrand

nickif

May 17, 2013
For isolation check out a Japanese brand called “Wellfloat“ they are fairly priced and very effective, you can get one for 300-400USD from Amazon Japan, shipping could be a problem though as most of them are shipped domestically. If you could manage to get one, just do it. I have a wellfloat board under my Transport, dac, pre-amp and phono, unfortunately they don’t offer large enough size for my turntable. These are one of the best deal in my Hi-Fi journey.

Bertrand D

Apr 1, 2021
Paris
Many thanks Nick, I presume that you refer to their isolation base for that price rather than their rack. Is that right?
Regarding the SP 10 R plinth I would be interested to know if any of you have experience with Thomas Schick’s plinth.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing