Introducing My System

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hello Thundersnow,

On the Magma Evo I see reference in the marketing material to "direct DC coupled." Isn't this more dangerous potentially to a loudspeaker than transformer-coupled?
That is called proper Serbian way - no risk no fun.. ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe the phrase is
Buyer beware.

jazzdude99

Jul 10, 2021
Hello Thundersnow,

On the Magma Evo I see reference in the marketing material to "direct DC coupled." Isn't this more dangerous potentially to a loudspeaker than transformer-coupled?
Hi Ron, that just means the gain stage and out put tube are not coupled with a capacitor. It still has an output transformer
Andy

Reactions: Thundersnow

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
That is called proper Serbian way - no risk no fun.. ;)
Oh brother is it..:( I experienced this first hand with my Dan Fannie modified Acoustat X direct coupled amps. The high voltage parts got fried twice when the line power bounced and I couldn't get to the amps quick enough to flip the heater and high voltage switches. Thankfully the panels were virtually indestructible... me... not so much. In addition to replacing hard to find parts, I also got tired/paranoid of having to bias them using a high voltage probe. :eek: I dearly loved those amps but finally had to walk away from them deciding it was better to live another day... :)

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Hey Ron, I believe Andy is right, but I’ll ping Dejan for confirmation.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
And in other news. This just in. Simens C3G wipes the floor with ECC32 in the Horizon.

The sound is EXACTLY the same as with the C3M tubes. More organic, humane and better fleshed out. It’s detailed… but in a very organic way and string instruments are magical. Just as I remember it with my C3M preamps.

Highly recommended for any Horizon user.

Also, quick edit. I ended up with the DAC being at 61 volume. Too much gain at 63 with my pre.

The extension of these tubes is unreal and so is the signal to noise ratio. The dynamics are much better as well. I would compare listening to Horizon with C3G as having the SE verion of the DAC.

IMG_4138.jpeg

Last edited:

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
And a fun little pic just to give folks a glimpse into about 50% of the tubes that went into Horizon thus far in search of the preferred sound…

IMG_4140.jpeg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello Thundersnow,

No, this means the stages before the output tube are not capacitor or transformer coupled. The output is of course still transformer coupled.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Hey @Ron Resnick I heard back from Dejan. The DC coupled refers to the input, driver and cathodes of output tubes. The output transformer is there, as @morricab mentioned above.

Reactions: christoph

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
So a little bit of news in pictures. Two new kids on the block — the LDMS music server and the Marten Mingus Orchestra!

Impressions to follow soon!

Attachments

• IMG_4191.jpeg
    IMG_4191.jpeg
    889.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    968.3 KB · Views: 64
  • C5170D81-635A-41DA-8EE7-95EA4023EC9B.jpeg
    C5170D81-635A-41DA-8EE7-95EA4023EC9B.jpeg
    542.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    797 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4195.jpeg
    IMG_4195.jpeg
    865.6 KB · Views: 98

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So a little bit of news in pictures. Two new kids on the block — the LDMS music server and the Marten Mingus Orchestra!

Impressions to follow soon!

Wow that's massive!

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Wow that's massive!
Indeed sir. Both products are a clear step forward. So that’s great. I’ll summarize in a few days.

Reactions: christoph

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Indeed sir. Both products are a clear step forward. So that’s great. I’ll summarize in a few days.
Congrats on the most recent improvements :cool:
What server did you use before the LDMS?

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Congrats on the most recent improvements :cool:
What server did you use before the LDMS?
It was Esoteric N03T, which is essentially a Lumin product in an Esoteric wrapper. I liked it, but the deciding factor for getting LDMS was recommendations from Goran and the fact I can use i2s with the DAC. Thankfully, Goran was right and i2s works like a charm! :)

Reactions: Golum and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It was Esoteric N03T, which is essentially a Lumin product in an Esoteric wrapper. I liked it, but the deciding factor for getting LDMS was recommendations from Goran and the fact I can use i2s with the DAC. Thankfully, Goran was right and i2s works like a charm! :)
Thanks for your reply.

How do you use i2s on the Horizon?

Via HDMI on input 5 or RJ45 input 6?
Does the LDMS have a special output board for that use?

Have you compared against USB?

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Really beautiful and elegant, I'm sure it will sound lovely and special!
The HORIZEN is definitely on "my horizon", currently with GG Bal and I'm very happy,
Now onto the next project which is the MUSIC SERVER/Streamer,
probably Antipodes The Oladra G4
and then my DAC replacement project - which is on the horizon ;) .

Congratulations and enjoy, very beautiful!

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Thanks for your reply.

How do you use i2s on the Horizon?

Via HDMI on input 5 or RJ45 input 6?
Does the LDMS have a special output board for that use?

Have you compared against USB?
Hey Cristoph,

I use the RJ45 input on the Horizon, not sure how this is handled on LDMS' side.

I have indeed compared to USB. I have a lot of very premium USB cables, but ended up having Jorma Reference as my main USB cable. Compared to the i2s, the USB has a similar open and detailed nature to the sound, but clearly more coloration (i.e. distortion), most likely due to i2s to USB and USB to i2s conversions happening in LDMS and Horizon respectively.

Also, i2s is VERY cable dependent. I have a cable I've made from solid core silver wire which I procured, which is leaps and bounds ahead of cables like the Tubulus top of the line i2s RJ45 cable, which I also own.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Isn't the Mingus lower in hierarchy to the Coltrane 3 ? The Momento being the upward move... what am I missing?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing