Introduction and Line Stage Question

JP-2213

Jun 29, 2019
Hi!
I have "lurked' on this forum for quite some time and have enjoyed reading and learning from the various forum threads and drawing on the experience of the forum members, thank you for that!

I have hesitated somewhat contributing to the forum, in part, if I'm being truthful due to being a little intimidated by some of the member systems that are in another stratosphere than my own modest, by comparison system. I am at a point (with learnings from this forum) where I feel I am making more thoughtful choices, with long term goals in mind. I will add my system(s) components to my signature in the near future, but will mention the pertinent components related to my linestage question

I own a Concert Fidelity CF-80 LSX2 while aware of it's limited functionality, I adore the CF-80 in my system currently running a pair of Siemens NOS 5814's. I do however want to run my DAC (PS Audio Direct Stream) balanced and also Balanced out to amps (2x Accuphase P-4200, bridged for Mono) I have narrowed my options to (3) paths forward and would love to hear feedback, thoughts and advice on the following

1 - Concert Fidelity currently offers an upgrade to LSX4 level which includes (transformer) balanced input/output along with some power supply "enhancements" the cost of the upgrade is $5,600
2 - Trade CF-80 on an Audio Note M6 Phono with balanced CD input. My trade + $10,500. I have lusted after an M6 for years...
3 - Open my budget a bit to purchase an Aries Cerat Incito S and call it a day
**I have $4,600 not including tubes and footers/damping plates into the CF-80 (as some of you may know, they do not hold their value well) and am the second owner, unit is in mint condition**

I am pretty well set on the Accuphase amps, in a long term relationship with them:) VPI Avenger Sig, Kuzma 4pt-11, Dynavector XV1 & XX2mkII, Intact SUT's, Klyne Audio SK-5, Magico A5's, full loom Nordost Heimdall 2 except sp cables which are Shunyata Sigma v2, power cables by Silver Circle. PS Audio regenerators, full tube system in my office

I welcome any thoughts and/or questions and most of all, I appreciate your time!!

Best,
-JP

Reactions: timztunz

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Hi!
I have "lurked' on this forum for quite some time and have enjoyed reading and learning from the various forum threads and drawing on the experience of the forum members, thank you for that!

I have hesitated somewhat contributing to the forum, in part, if I'm being truthful due to being a little intimidated by some of the member systems that are in another stratosphere than my own modest, by comparison system. I am at a point (with learnings from this forum) where I feel I am making more thoughtful choices, with long term goals in mind. I will add my system(s) components to my signature in the near future, but will mention the pertinent components related to my linestage question

I own a Concert Fidelity CF-80 LSX2 while aware of it's limited functionality, I adore the CF-80 in my system currently running a pair of Siemens NOS 5814's. I do however want to run my DAC (PS Audio Direct Stream) balanced and also Balanced out to amps (2x Accuphase P-4200, bridged for Mono) I have narrowed my options to (3) paths forward and would love to hear feedback, thoughts and advice on the following

1 - Concert Fidelity currently offers an upgrade to LSX4 level which includes (transformer) balanced input/output along with some power supply "enhancements" the cost of the upgrade is $5,600
2 - Trade CF-80 on an Audio Note M6 Phono with balanced CD input. My trade + $10,500. I have lusted after an M6 for years...
**I have $4,600 not including tubes and footers/damping plates into the CF-80 (as some of you may know, they do not hold their value well) and am the second owner, unit is in mint condition**

I am pretty well set on the Accuphase amps, in a long term relationship with them:) VPI Avenger Sig, Kuzma 4pt-11, Dynavector XV1 & XX2mkII, Intact SUT's, Klyne Audio SK-5, Magico A5's, full loom Nordost Heimdall 2 except sp cables which are Shunyata Sigma v2, power cables by Silver Circle. PS Audio regenerators, full tube system in my office

I welcome any thoughts and/or questions and most of all, I appreciate your time!!

Best,
-JP
Good luck on your search, and there is NOTHING in your system to be the least bit intimidated about!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear JP,

Thank you for your post!

Please rest assured there is nothing to be intimidated about! Ostensibly "modest" systems sometimes can produce, to many ears, better, more-emotionally involving sound than expensive systems which have been assembled merely by choosing randomly from the latest status brand components reviewed by high-end audio magazines.

In addition, I would say that with A5s and VPI and Kuzma, etc., your system is far from "modest"!

Unfortunately, I cannot help with your specific questions, but I am sure other members will have some thoughts for you to consider.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi!

Best,
-JP
That’s a great system you got there.

Reactions: Pacha

JP-2213

Jun 29, 2019
Thank you for the kind comments regarding my system!

Any thoughts from the forum at large on the Preamp question?

Best,
-JP

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
If I understood your concern correctly, you'd like a tubed, fully balanced line stage to run the DAC via XLR and use the Klyne as phono stage?
My all times favorite tube preamps are the VTL TL7.5 (there's a Mk3 on Audiogon) and the Convergent (which can have XLR as an option, but I'm not sure if it's balanced via transformers or if it is just pseudo-balanced - I am familiar with the single ended only Ultimate generation -).
The VTL would check all the boxes and it can drive any power amp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
JP,

I think you have a fantastic system, and the quality of designer you are talking about speaks volumes. Aries Cerat, Kondo and Concert Fidelity are masters at their trade. The only advice I can share is more of approach than these brands: from my read of your original post, you seem to have 'ranked' in your own mind these 3 options:
- upgrade Concert Fidelity
- go for the M6 you lust for...ie, more of what you really want
- go for Aries Cerat (and call it a day)...does this mean, this is your ultimate choice?

My recommendation would be since it seems each of these is a real option for you...then go for your top choice. In my 25+ years of this, I have never regretted going for the one at the top of my list (which I could comfortably afford)...even if it meant waiting longer to get one second hand/demo or to wait for prices to drop. In the end, 'the one' always won out over incremental steps for me.

JP-2213

Jun 29, 2019
If I understood your concern correctly, you'd like a tubed, fully balanced line stage to run the DAC via XLR and use the Klyne as phono stage?
My all times favorite tube preamps are the VTL TL7.5 (there's a Mk3 on Audiogon) and the Convergent (which can have XLR as an option, but I'm not sure if it's balanced via transformers or if it is just pseudo-balanced - I am familiar with the single ended only Ultimate generation -).
The VTL would check all the boxes and it can drive any power amp.
Thanks for your comments!
Yes in the case(s) of the CF-80 and the Incito, I would use the Klyne as the phono stage, If I went with the M6, I would of course use the mm via the SUT's

Also, thanks for the recommendation. There are so many fantastic line stage/preamps available and many of them i'm confident would be great fits for me that I could easily live with happily for the long term. That said, one does have to "narrow the field" at some point or risk never making a decision...

Best,
-JP

JP-2213

Jun 29, 2019
JP,

I think you have a fantastic system, and the quality of designer you are talking about speaks volumes. Aries Cerat, Kondo and Concert Fidelity are masters at their trade. The only advice I can share is more of approach than these brands: from my read of your original post, you seem to have 'ranked' in your own mind these 3 options:
- upgrade Concert Fidelity
- go for the M6 you lust for...ie, more of what you really want
- go for Aries Cerat (and call it a day)...does this mean, this is your ultimate choice?

My recommendation would be since it seems each of these is a real option for you...then go for your top choice. In my 25+ years of this, I have never regretted going for the one at the top of my list (which I could comfortably afford)...even if it meant waiting longer to get one second hand/demo or to wait for prices to drop. In the end, 'the one' always won out over incremental steps for me.
Thank You @LL21
Very well stated, as you infer, I cant make a bad choice...

I do think I am going to send the CF-80 on a little trip to Japan and have the level 4 upgrades done. a couple deciding factors:

I love what I currently get from the CF-80 and imagine it will only get better with the upgrades

My girlfriend often works from home and while she enjoys listening to music, she has to have a remote (even if limited to remote volume control) in case the phone rings, etc. The M6 does not have remote volume

I am hesitant to order the Incito 'blind" having never heard, or for that matter seen one in the flesh. Amazing designer, stellar reputation, but, not being able to see, hear, touch the Incito prior to purchase is a big roadblock for me. With the global economy and so many purchases being online I may have to get past this down the road. There was a time, I wouldn't purchase a component without demoing in my system or at the very least bringing my amp for example to the dealers to drive the speakers I was considering

I will share my thoughts on the CF-80 upgrade if anyone on the forum has an interest!

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts, much appreciated

Best,
-JP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing