Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
@Adimon,

Unfortunately, I am somewhat a DAC harlot ;), having several. One of them is the Directstream, which I just recently put back in rack to check out I2S from the K50. I read on their forum the postings from people buying a number of different I2S cables and picked up a closed out Wireworld Starlight 7 a couple years ago. Not having an I2S source then, I also purchased a Matrix X-SPDIF2 to convert USB coming from a microRendu and a Small Green Computer server. I liked that better than USB with several different USB cables.

I have made a number of equipment changes and additions since then. I recently updated to latest firmware for the Directstream and tried this cable with the K50. Audio memory is so very short, but feel this is probably the best I had heard from the Directstream (DS). I have not tried AES/EBU to the DS. I did try AES/EBU with the Mola Mola Makua DAC (very similar to Tambaqui) from the K50 with an inexpensive cable, Mogami W3080 with Neutrik XLRs made up by Redco Audio years ago. I recall trying this cable years ago to Directstream, but not liking what I heard and putting it in storage. There have been many PS Audio firmware changes since then and many equipment system changes since then. I was happily surprised how good it sounded when I recently put in the Makua, and has me wondering if I should evaluate a better cable. If I do, I hope to retain enough sanity to test from companies with a return policy or very good price on preowned. My cable purchasing has been far more modest than my DAC purchases, sourcing quality from less expensive sources like Triode Wire Labs, Audio Sensibility, and a couple WireWorld items.

The Tambaqui has I2S, but Makua DAC does not, so I cannot test I2S cable with it. Running ethernet from K50 outgoing port to the Makua utilizes the Roon Ready player in the DAC, not the player from the K50, while the other digital outputs reflect the Antipodes player. I have noticed some subtle but noticeable differences in the digital output sound signatures from the K50 to Makua, depending on ethernet cables used into and out of the K50.

For the DirectStream, I would guess the I2S from the K50 would be best, and offers you more bandwidth.
The match and setup of the components is the most important.
The Directstream will soon be replaced by a mark 2 version anounced by PSaudio.
Maybe it's better to switch to the Mola Mola in the near future.
Can you tell me a bit about the difference in SQ between the PS audio and the Mola Mola in combination with the K50?

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
The match and setup of the components is the most important.
The Directstream will soon be replaced by a mark 2 version anounced by PSaudio.
Maybe it's better to switch to the Mola Mola in the near future.
Can you tell me a bit about the difference in SQ between the PS audio and the Mola Mola in combination with the K50?
I am aware off anticipated Mk II DirectStream in the works. I would not be surprised that it may be longer in releasing due to supply chain difficulties. Parts pricing may also go up. I have an unmodified DirectStream that was part of the original batch release, and it has been in and out of active play during this time. I have really appreciated how trouble free it has been and truly liked the development of firmware releases and ability to go back to other version(s). As I had previously indicated, the combination of other equipment changes in my system, including the K50, and latest firmware update, Sunlight, has, I believe, enhanced the sound quality for it in my system. I have always found the DirectStream to have a warm, somewhat rounded signature, which I thought to be expected with DSD output. In the past I had found myself wanting more separation and detail. I perceive the Sunlight release to have improved upon this. It is a relaxed, comfortable and enjoyable listen. Primary vocals or instrument is centered and soundstage width to each speaker, but for me, the non-center information seems lacking a bit in imaging and seems to come more from the individual speakers. Very likely that could be corrected by some additional changes for my room acoustics. I am pretty limited on changing speaker locations. However, I do not have the same issues though with my other DACs, so am a bit reticent on making acoustic changes yet.

My Mola Mola is the Makua, preamp version with DAC module. I have not heard the individual Tambaqui stand alone unit, but believe they would be very close. My unit was preowned but had very recently been sent to Mola Mola for addition of the DAC module. During my due diligence, I confirmed with Mola Mola this had taken place and the unit was otherwise unmodified and in excellent working condition. I do not know how much run time had been done on the new DAC module, nor do I know if there is a certain amount of "break-in" time recommended. I have spent some time listening to the Makua's Roon Ready ethernet connection, USB, and some to AES/EBU. I have not yet used the optical input.

The Mola Mola DAC (Tambaqui) is a different presentation than the DirectStream. The first time I played the unit, I simply ran the Audio Sensibility Silver ethernet cable from my PF Buffalo switch directly to the Makua. Notes seemed suspended in space--it was eerie for me and had not heard that type presentation before. I now run AS cable to the K50 and use a Sablon 2020 ethernet cable from the K50 Directsteam outgoing RJ45 port to the Makua. Imaging depth and location for me are great. The soundstage width for me is between the speakers. There is a ton of distinct musical information presented all across the soundstage painting individual voices and instruments with texture. The Mola Mola is not as romantic a presentation as the DirectStream, but it is not at all a cold, sterile sound. It is not a lush presentation like some tubes, but it is smooth and, for me, possesses much of that holographic sense that very good tube systems can project. For USB, I have used both a short Triode Wire Labs cable and a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7, with the TWL currently in use. The AS ethernet cable is smooth but leaner presentation. I think both the PS Audio DirectStream and Mola Mola DAC sound presentations are influenced by the inbound cables to the server as well as outbound to the DAC. I do go back and forth on whether I prefer K50 player with USB, digital outputs or the Roon Ready network input on the Makua. I wish I had I2S on the Makua like the stand alone Makua so I could evaluate it. I just did the software update this morning on the K50, so will want to do more long term listening now that has happened and after Roon rolls out the change on November 3. Regarding what I have just posted on my impressions, it has been with Roon. I look forward to exploring the other servers as well with my DACs--just a myriad of options.

When I received my Makua, I wondered if I should use additional isolation feet. I only saw pictures of it using the side rails from front to back on the sides--same for Tambaqui as well. I queried the reseller (selling on behalf of a client), and he thought best to avoid additional feet. I did try some Orea under it, but that seemed thinner and possibly even more detailed. I prefer for my system to just use the rails on the Makua: there is a slight bit of resonance that I like. For some other systems, additional feet may make sense, but would check placement--appears to be soft covered ports under the unit that I take are for possible venting for temp control.

Now, let me complicate your considerations more. I also have a Lumin X1 that I truly like a great deal and alternate it in the mix of listening. I have used both ethernet and fiber optic ethernet with it, and now using fiber from the PF Buffalo with it. The Lumin X1 really takes considerable running time on a new unit. I would suggest 200 hours minimum before making a decision, with 400 hours even better. For me it has a very dynamic presentation with more of a you are there rather than they are here sound. Leedh processing option for volume control is excellent and truly gives one the option of going direct to amp without a preamp. I have my X1 using one of my Makua preamp locations.

I had some interesting communications another party contemplating a change from a very fine DAC and system regarding Tambaqui vs Lumin X1. He is not the USA. I communicated that though they are different, I very much liked both and am loathe to give up either of them. He was upfront with separate dealers on wanting to evaluate both in his system and was able to get both into his system and listen to both at same period. He used his normal cabling on both to evaluate and was diligent to evaluate both similarly. I could tell he was not impressed early on with the new out of the box Lumin. I was persistent in letting him know he really needed to get to the 200-400 hour point. He was able to do so, and ended up getting the X1, which for him met his objectives of simplifying his system as well as sound in his system. For someone else with different equipment and room, it could have gone the other way.

I would highly encourage pursuing home auditioning, if you can. I suspect when PS Audio finally is able to release the Mk II, they will eventually offer an audition/return program similar to the new CD/SACD transport. I also guess that will take back seat to new orders and sending units out to professional reviewers, which PS Audio typically does. Pricing on Mola Mola is dependent on the country, and is higher in the USA than some other markets. Mola Mola appears to fully support their dealers and keeping sales within the regional markets. I believe GTT Audio is USA dealer, and is approachable for home audition. There are a number of American Lumin sales entities.

Enjoy

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
Thinking about this, I thought I better clarify my comments about you are there vs they are here. The Mola Mola for me displays distinctive individual musical contributions of voices and instruments and the illusion of their placement. The X1 for has more of a further sitting in a larger live concert space further back than Makua and individual pieces not as so distinctly delineated as the Mola Mola.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Thinking about this, I thought I better clarify my comments about you are there vs they are here. The Mola Mola for me displays distinctive individual musical contributions of voices and instruments and the illusion of their placement. The X1 for has more of a further sitting in a larger live concert space further back than Makua and individual pieces not as so distinctly delineated as the Mola Mola.
Thank you for your extensive story of your experience with Streamer and different DAC's.
I will try to audition the Mola Mola in the near future.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Hi all.
New antipodes k50 owner here. Upgraded from an CX/EX combo. It’s surely an upgrade. Loving it.
Could I please ask if anyone managed to use the RJ45 i2s output ? I use a denafrips terminator and although the HDMI i2s works flawlessly , I can’t for the life of me make the RJ45 i2s play music. I have tried changing the mode. All I here is static.
why am I not happy just with HDMI i2s you ask ? I have a boutique RJ45 cable which I would wanna try in i2s. The hdmi cable I have is bog standard. :)
Sorry shakti if this comes across as hijacking your thread. I will start a new thread for k50 owners if the mods feel so.

Reactions: Adimon

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Hi all.
New antipodes k50 owner here. Upgraded from an CX/EX combo. It’s surely an upgrade. Loving it.
Could I please ask if anyone managed to use the RJ45 i2s output ? I use a denafrips terminator and although the HDMI i2s works flawlessly , I can’t for the life of me make the RJ45 i2s play music. I have tried changing the mode. All I here is static.
why am I not happy just with HDMI i2s you ask ? I have a boutique RJ45 cable which I would wanna try in i2s. The hdmi cable I have is bog standard. :)
Sorry shakti if this comes across as hijacking your thread. I will start a new thread for k50 owners if the mods feel so.
I would mail Antipodes with this question.
They are very helpfull.

Reactions: Darmstadtium

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Hi all.
Due to the fact that there is no universally agreed to standard for I2S, the K50 has DIP switches at the bottom of the unit for easy access which allow users to change the combinations in order to get it to work with different components. Have you tried this?

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Due to the fact that there is no universally agreed to standard for I2S, the K50 has DIP switches at the bottom of the unit for easy access which allow users to change the combinations in order to get it to work with different components. Have you tried this?
I think I am a bit scared to touch those dip switches. But you can shuffle through different preset combo of i2s setting on the terminator. I have tried that. No luck.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I think I am a bit scared to touch those dip switches. But you can shuffle through different preset combo of i2s setting on the terminator. I have tried that. No luck.
As long as you put them back the way you currently have them, there should be no downside trying different combos to see if you can get the other IS2 output to work. As I understand it, K50s ship with the switches set for the PS Audio standard - does the Terminator use that?

Maceear

Dec 26, 2019
Hi all.
Hi Darmstadtium, do you have the newer version of the K50?
Denafrips Terminator Plus dipswitch setting for Ps-Audio = "100".

Reactions: Darmstadtium

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
After one happy year with my black K50, nearly all my gear have changed from black to silver,
so I decided to exchange my K50 from black to silver as well, which I did after having sold my black K50.

The silver K50 has arrived last week and my concern, what will happen to my music on 16TB SSD ended up with a smile.

I switched my two 8TB SSD from the black K50 to the silver K50, putting them in the same slot positions , and the silver K50 had no problem in reading them. I had both K50 on software version 3.1.

This was a very satisfying start in switching the two devices, as I hate to rebuild music from back up copies.

Now I have to run through the break in period again, as the silver versions sounds a little "new" compared to my former black K50, which has played nearly one year in 24/7 to gain the best performance.

Due to the different burn in status, it is Impossible to say for me,
if the current K50 sounds different to the former, as some minor technical changes happened over the year.

IMG_7201.jpg IMG_7200.jpg IMG_7202.jpg IMG_7199.jpg

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
@shakti
Very nice looking setup. What is the rest of your gear?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@shakti
Very nice looking setup. What is the rest of your gear?
you can see my full gear listed in the signature section, on the picture:
Kuzma Stabi R / Sorane TA-1 and Metaxas Tonearm, Antipodes K50 and Oracle CD Drive, Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC, Audionet Stern

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
After one happy year with my black K50, nearly all my gear have changed from black to silver,
so I decided to exchange my K50 from black to silver as well, which I did after having sold my black K50.

The silver K50 has arrived last week and my concern, what will happen to my music on 16TB SSD ended up with a smile.

I switched my two 8TB SSD from the black K50 to the silver K50, putting them in the same slot positions , and the silver K50 had no problem in reading them. I had both K50 on software version 3.1.

Your gear in all silver looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the pics. I went back to the first page to compare. I aspire to do the same thing but since I shop for deals it’s not been easy to get there.

Glad to hear your SSDs moved over without issue. Good to know.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Hey Folks , quick update.
My K50 is slowly settling down. The sound has become calmer and smoother over the last few weeks. Guess this is what ‘Breaking in’ is.
.to my ears I2s sounds so much better than usb.
I am in love with the bass and the deep soundstage
That’s the main upgrade I notice from my earlier EX/CX combo.
What I2s cables are you guys using btw ? I am currently wireworld silver HDMI and was wondering if there’s something better out there for not a lot of money.
Note : my FTA Callisto is up for sale btw if any ones interested :)

Reactions: Tuckia

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Perhaps another data point for consideration. I have moved from the Shunyata Omega usb to the Shunyata Omega spdif to feed my Pacific. These are the only two inputs it has (not counting network). The Omega spdif in the end is a little cleaner up top and presents better depth. But the Omega usb did fend off lesser spdif cables. It took an Omega to best the Omega.

Reactions: kennyb123

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Btw has anyone managed to make use of the clock output of the K50 ? What can it be used for ?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Are there any comparisons of K50 or other Antipodes models to Aurender N20? I have a dilemma about upgrade path from my EX + CX: send them for oladra update / get K50 / move to Aurender N20. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Aziz

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Are there any comparisons of K50 or other Antipodes models to Aurender N20? I have a dilemma about upgrade path from my EX + CX: send them for oladra update / get K50 / move to Aurender N20. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Aziz
I haven’t heard the NR20. I upgraded from a CX/EX combo to K50. I did some math and decided that selling them and getting a new k50 is better value in long run (and less cables) than having them go through the OLADRA upgrade.

My initial impression of the brand new k50 was a bit meh in comparisons to the EX/CX. But the k50 truly came to life in the 3rd week , The soundstage , black background and low level dyanamics are a huge upgrade compared to Ex/CX. But bear in mind that upstream setup does make a difference to the K50 performance.
you still need audiophile switches and LPS before K50 to see what it’s capable of.

while this is applicable to all servers out there (Extreme ?) I just wish the technology advances to a stage where we don’t need such daisy chain switches and re lockers before a server to enable it to to perform at its best
What if hi end server cleans the Ethernet signal ,reclocks them before feeding it to their server side boards,
In other words I would like one box combine what the below does
1. Audiophile switches reclocker
2. Optical media converter
3. Ethernet noise remover (sotm CAT6 etc )
4. Server/streamer Board
5. USB/i2s reclocked and supply to DAC

Last edited:
Reactions: Rejean and abeidrov

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Perhaps another data point for consideration. I have moved from the Shunyata Omega usb to the Shunyata Omega spdif to feed my Pacific. These are the only two inputs it has (not counting network). The Omega spdif in the end is a little cleaner up top and presents better depth. But the Omega usb did fend off lesser spdif cables. It took an Omega to best the Omega.
This perhaps shows that the clock in the K50 is better than the Pacific clock.

I have an Omega USB on order. Should be here in a week or so. Looking forward to seeing that that does.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing