Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

WAVE High Fidelity

Mar 4, 2021
Leics, UK
www.wavehighfidelity.com
Perhaps permit me to deviate off thread topic for a few breaths long enough for me to say to @christoph that I have just seen that you have Air Scouts! I well remember going round to Kevin's small terraced house when he was playing with the Air Scout design and after getting to know him I used to do the artwork for all his magazine adverts which basically consisted of me PhotoShopping large horns onto vintage trucks and cars. Happy days.

OK, thanks for that. Now normal service can be resumed!

Reactions: christoph

sale

Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
From Antipodes Audio support:

"It is true that S/PDIF and AES3 outputs have limited bandwidth compared to the full-bandwidth available with USB, Ethernet and I2S. However, there are downsides to having Ethernet and/or USB receivers in the DAC. Both introduce noise into the DAC. USB has the effect of adding a trace of ‘sizzle’ at the edge all sounds, creating some listener fatigue. Ethernet has the effect of rounding the edge of all sounds, diminishing the tension and urgency of real music. The extent of these problems depends on how well these inputs are implemented in the DAC. If you compare these outputs to our S/PDIF and AES3 outputs you will hear the benefits in naturalness and musicality for yourself."

and

"The manufacturer of my DAC says the Ethernet input is the best sounding. What are my best options?

You cannot take such claims literally. Your DAC manufacturer is, at best, making a generalisation, because comparing Ethernet with other inputs includes comparing the player engine and app in the DAC with the player engine and app in the Music Server. If a DAC manufacturer has not compared their inputs using a K50 then they are making a generalisation that you should not accept blindly. In our experience most DAC manufacturers are assuming you will use a standard computer as your music server.
We cannot know that the player engines in Antipodes products are better sounding than those in all DACs ever made, or still to be made, so we won’t make any generalised claims. The same goes for doubting DAC manufacturers’ generalised claims.
But there is also the question of the player apps, and they have a significant impact on sound quality. As an example, with an Antipodes Server/Player you can choose from player apps that are superior to the player apps used in DACs. Most of our customers wish to use Roon Server to manage their music and streaming services, with good reason. But this will generally mean you have to use the Roon player within the “Roon Ready” DAC. With an Antipodes, you can use the superior sounding Squeezelite or HQPlayer Embedded as the player app."

What I mentioned was stated in the context of USB vs Ethernet. Regarding other outputs I've heard good things about I2S. There is no absolute consensus in regard to all outputs thus only random control blind tests with at least 1000 participants could reveal which output is absolutely the best. This would be very difficult to achieve. I hope Audio Science Review will do some measurements, but they rely on owners to send them high end sources and DACs.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
What I mentioned was stated in the context of USB vs Ethernet. Regarding other outputs I've heard good things about I2S. There is no absolute consensus in regard to all outputs thus only random control blind tests with at least 1000 participants could reveal which output is absolutely the best. This would be very difficult to achieve. I hope Audio Science Review will do some measurements, but they rely on owners to send them high end sources and DACs.
Are you sure 1000 participants would be enough? Mark told me at least 10000 are needed, and they all should be below 30 years old.

sale

Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Are you sure 1000 participants would be enough? Mark told me at least 10000 are needed, and they all should be below 30 years old.
Buddy, RCT tests have been used in science for at least 100 years. Google is your friend here., Try it, I guarantee you won't be disappointed (except if you were that guy who always run away from math classes).

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I installed another 4 TB drive in my K30 this week, bringing the total to 8 TB. Kudos to Antipodes for allowing us to install our own SSDs. Innuos charges $3250 above the price of a 1TB Statement to get to. 8 TB. It cost me less than a grand to add 8 TB. I went with Samsung 860 EVO drives.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
But omg there are no audiophiles below 30... we are sunk statistically speaking, perhaps 20,000 different opinions from people over 60 years of age might be much the same thing... and clearly much easier to get :eek:

Reactions: abeidrov

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
So I’ve had my Antipodes K50 for several days so I thought I would share my experience so far. Prior to the Antipodes purchase, this was my system:

Ethernet router to Cisco switch to Small Green computer Sonictransporter i7 AP music server.

Cisco switch to copper Ethernet to Sonore optical module powered by Uptone audio LPS 1.2 to fiber to Uptone EtherRegen.

EtherRegen (copper) powered by Uptone audio LPS 1.2 to Ethernet port on Bricasti M12 streamer/Dac.

Bricasti M12 to balanced interconnect to ATC SCM50ASL (annniverary amp packs)

I was very pleased with SQ but heard from many that upgrading server made nice improvements.

I first considered the Antipodes K40 as a standalone server with Ethernet to Bricasti. Bricasti feels their Ethernet input for streaming is best.

However, I broke down since I would always would wonder if the K50 was better than the K40 and Bricasti player combo.

Set up of K50 was relatively smooth but I had problems setting up Squeeze server rather than Roon and had some questions on dsd that Mark (Dr. Antipodes) graciously and quickly answered.

I first tried with included power cable and internet direct from Cisco switch. AES output from K50 to Bricasti.

So far very pleased with sq and increased soundstage.

I then tried Supra lo-Rad power cable. Slight improvement

Added EtherRegen prior to K50. A little more improvement

Added Sonore optical module prior to EtherRegen. Very slight improvement

I understand that the K 50 will improve over time but sounds pretty awesome right now.

Conclusions.

Antipodes has hit a home run with K series servers

Power cord adds slight improvement

Squeeze player sounds better than Roon player. ( you still use Roon remote on your iPad to control.)

AES out of K50 to Dac is slightly better than direct Ethernet

EtherRegen and optical module adds very modest improvement. I would use there if I didn’t already have them. Probably better for those willing to invest whatever to continue up the sq ladder.

Finally, I would add the sonictransporter is a really nice solution for those not willing or able to get the Antipodes. Plus Andrew of small green computer provided me with outstanding customer service. and the Ethernet streamer in the Bricasti is also outstanding, and very close to the K50

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
So I’ve had my Antipodes K50 for several days so I thought I would share my experience so far.

Congrats!! As far as all the different things that you tried with your K50, you should wait a few weeks and try them again. My K30 sounded great out of the box but it most certainly improved after a few weeks. Part of that was Roon, as it was re-analyzing my music for the first couple weeks (I gave it only a single core).

Reactions: Lxgreen

WAVE High Fidelity

Mar 4, 2021
Leics, UK
www.wavehighfidelity.com
So I’ve had my Antipodes K50 for several days so I thought I would share my experience so far.
Welcome to the K50 owners and thansk for sharing your experiences!! It really is an awesome streamer/server.

I use USB and BNC output to my Mscaler and Dave and am VERY pleased with the K50. I do not use Roon on any part of the K50, server or player because I find that it affects the sound quality too much for me. Squeezelite is good though and I use the Material web application for file selection.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
So I’ve had my Antipodes K50 for several days so I thought I would share my experience so far. Prior to the Antipodes purchase, this was my system:

Ethernet router to Cisco switch to Small Green computer Sonictransporter i7 AP music server.

Cisco switch to copper Ethernet to Sonore optical module powered by Uptone audio LPS 1.2 to fiber to Uptone EtherRegen.

EtherRegen (copper) powered by Uptone audio LPS 1.2 to Ethernet port on Bricasti M12 streamer/Dac.

Bricasti M12 to balanced interconnect to ATC SCM50ASL (annniverary amp packs)

I was very pleased with SQ but heard from many that upgrading server made nice improvements.

I first considered the Antipodes K40 as a standalone server with Ethernet to Bricasti. Bricasti feels their Ethernet input for streaming is best.

However, I broke down since I would always would wonder if the K50 was better than the K40 and Bricasti player combo.

Set up of K50 was relatively smooth but I had problems setting up Squeeze server rather than Roon and had some questions on dsd that Mark (Dr. Antipodes) graciously and quickly answered.

I first tried with included power cable and internet direct from Cisco switch. AES output from K50 to Bricasti.

So far very pleased with sq and increased soundstage.

I then tried Supra lo-Rad power cable. Slight improvement

Added EtherRegen prior to K50. A little more improvement

Added Sonore optical module prior to EtherRegen. Very slight improvement

I understand that the K 50 will improve over time but sounds pretty awesome right now.

Conclusions.

Antipodes has hit a home run with K series servers

Power cord adds slight improvement

Squeeze player sounds better than Roon player. ( you still use Roon remote on your iPad to control.)

AES out of K50 to Dac is slightly better than direct Ethernet

EtherRegen and optical module adds very modest improvement. I would use there if I didn’t already have them. Probably better for those willing to invest whatever to continue up the sq ladder.

Finally, I would add the sonictransporter is a really nice solution for those not willing or able to get the Antipodes. Plus Andrew of small green computer provided me with outstanding customer service. and the Ethernet streamer in the Bricasti is also outstanding, and very close to the K50
Wow congrats to your K50. I would add that its not only K-series that made a homerun. I have an S40 wich I am very pleased with.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
A look inside my K30. 68A77F74-50B6-4A8F-B6E2-8D25424395B9.jpeg

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hmmm. It looks different than Aurender W20 but is supposed to be better. Almost like some parts are missing in k30 and w20 is a lot tidier. Maybe somebody smarter than me can explain the differences.

w20se_7.jpeg

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
K50 looks much better:)
1242A6EE-C0FA-40B3-BE00-C857305BC79A.jpeg

Reactions: kennyb123 and GuyB

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Thanks. I feel a lot better now.

I put my ear to the photo and it sounds better too. o_O

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Has anyone gone from the K30 to the K50? If so, I'm curious to hear what differences were heard.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The extra 50% one pays above the K30 for the K50 sure does seem to add a lot. I have to admit being a little underwhelmed after popping the cover. But I guess looks can be deceiving as what's seen is essentially the S30 + S40 + S60 all within the same chassis. Even so I do hope that Antipodes offers an upgrade to the K30 that will bring it closer to the K50. There's room in the chassis to add another power supply.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, I read the review of the S30 and K50. I would like to know if anyone compared the K30 to the K50 in the same system?

jfx

Apr 30, 2020
hi all, is K30 powerful enough to run roon core + hqp DSD upsampling? or only PCM upsample?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
hi all, is K30 powerful enough to run roon core + hqp DSD upsampling? or only PCM upsample?

It barely breaks a sweat with Roon Core plus PCM upsampling in HQP. DSD upsampling will be a different story - you might need the K50 for that. I suggest you ask Antipodes.

Reactions: jfx

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing