Introduction of my new Antipodes K50 Music Server

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
@tvad

Do you have the Nimbus Couplers under your K50? Which size risers did you get? I am kicking the tires on these right now just not alot of good feedback on them and the prices are high so would be great to hear something positive. Obviously I understand every system is different but thes design of these looks promising for alot of component types.
I have 1” Nimbus risers and couplers under the K50. Simply because vertical space is limited.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Subtle, yes. Blacker background. Couplers placed under the K50’s
r-core transformers and one coupler centered in back.

I’m going to experiment with AV RoomService EVPs shortly since I have a spare set.

I've heard good things about those, looked at them a while back when I was putting in some room treatments. Let me know how it goes..If you decide to keep those and sell the HRS I will take them.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I want to give a shout-out to Antipodes Audio (Mark) for great service on my K50, which was not recognizing installed SSDs from the first day of my ownership. Mark spent just under an hour with me on a troubleshooting session via AnyDesk. When he had exhausted all options, he emailed a FedEx shipping label to send the unit to his technician in Denver, CO.

Problem was diagnosed as a power supply issue to the SATA board, and corrected. The K50 is scheduled for return delivery early this week. Total time including transit will have been 15 days, with a national holiday in the middle.

Exceptional service. Thank you, Mark (and Larry).

Last edited:

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I agree that Mark provides outstanding customer service. I currently use a Antipodes S30/S40/S60 combination. I've had my S30 repaired twice, once for a failed power supply. My intention was to upgrade to the K50, but I'm really concerned with their quality control and now I'm considering an Aurender N30.

Reactions: abeidrov

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
My intention was to upgrade to the K50, but I'm really concerned with their quality control and now I'm considering an Aurender N30.
I don't know what was wrong with the power supply to the SATA board in my K50, but it was quickly resolved. My guess is it was a connector that might have come loose during shipping. FedEx has been handling packages very roughly in my experience.

I understand your concern with quality control, and I don't mean to dismiss it. An investment in a K50 (or any other Antipodes Audio product) is significant, and one would like to believe build quality and component longevity is commensurate with the price paid.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I don't know what was wrong with the power supply to the SATA board in my K50, but it was quickly resolved. My guess is it was a connector that might have come loose during shipping. FedEx has been handling packages very roughly in my experience.

I understand your concern with quality control, and I don't mean to dismiss it. An investment in a K50 (or any other Antipodes Audio product) is significant, and one would like to believe build quality and component longevity is commensurate with the price paid.
My K30 had the same problem. I got the sense my second SSD slot never worked.

Occasionally I have received products that come with an inspection report. A series of checks had been performed and the inspector initials each and then signs off on the report. Antipodes should consider doing this. At least we would know the working condition before it left their factory.

Mark was quick to get my problem solved too, but I was bummed to be without my K30 for a few weeks.

Reactions: Gjo

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
My K30 had the same problem. I got the sense my second SSD slot never worked.

Occasionally I have received products that come with an inspection report. A series of checks had been performed and the inspector initials each and then signs off on the report. Antipodes should consider doing this. At least we would know the working condition before it left their factory.

Mark was quick to get my problem solved too, but I was bummed to be without my K30 for a few weeks.
Coincidentally, Antipodes just added additional links in their forum for remote support.

MarkCole

Aug '21

At Antipodes Audio, we pride ourselves on the quality of our units and support.
Where an issue cannot be fixed via email or phone communication, and remote access support is required, we use AnyDesk too remotely connect to your server.
When requesting remote support, to speed up our response, you can download and install AnyDesk on your computer and advise the AnyDesk ID along with your request…
Download links below:
AnyDesk

Remote Desktop Software for Windows – AnyDesk 134

AnyDesk

Remote Desktop Software for macOS – AnyDesk 110

With Mac-OS permissions are required to be given for us to control the server, please find the Permission instruction here
support.anydesk.com

Security Permissions on macOS 13

AnyDesk can only receive incoming sessions when Accessibility and Screen Recording permissions are granted by the macOS system. Add AnyDesk to trusted apps in order to work correctly. AnyDesk requires

Unattended Access can enable us to configure and install functions to your server without the need for you to be around, this is handy where time zone difficulties are encountered.
support.anydesk.com

Unattended Access 14

Table of Contents The home office idea is rapidly expanding and users cannot always rely on a user on the physical remote device to accept their connection request. Furthermore, on login screens such

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
What footers are you K50
owners using?
I am using Daedalus DIDs (Daedalus Isolation Devices). I have had them for awhile, but were not currently in use. I purchased some Orea Indigos with intent to use them, but preferred the DIDs and currently have Oreas under one of the DACs.

Reactions: Gjo

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Coincidentally, Antipodes just added additional links in their forum for remote support.
I really like that we can now book the time for remote support.

Reactions: 7ryder

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Has anyone had success with audiophile fuse upgrades for their K50 ? Eager to hear if you guys liked them. I am considering the SR purple ones

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Has anyone had success with audiophile fuse upgrades for their K50 ? Eager to hear if you guys liked them. I am considering the SR purple ones

Haven't got to the server yet, but I put one in my amp and it made some difference. Purple is what I used from SR

velcro22

Oct 7, 2020
Canada
Currently have been using the SR Orange for about a year. Took a while to break and warm up but I love it. The flavor is a bit more detailed and edgy. In comparison, the OEM sounds dull and muddy. I have a SR Purple on order. Will report back when it is installed.

Reactions: ICUToo

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Currently have been using the SR Orange for about a year. Took a while to break and warm up but I love it. The flavor is a bit more detailed and edgy. In comparison, the OEM sounds dull and muddy. I have a SR Purple on order. Will report back when it is installed.
Are you replacing both fuses in your K50?

velcro22

Oct 7, 2020
Canada
Are you replacing both fuses in your K50?
Sorry I miss spoke, (english is not my first language...) my statement should have been plural! Yes both fuse were and will be replaced.

Reactions: kennyb123

velcro22

Oct 7, 2020
Canada
Received my SR Purple yesterday, rushed home to install them felling like a late Christmas. Initially place them in the same orientation than the Orange they replaced in my K50 (before right side R->S left side S->R). Right away noticed a greater articulation with slightly more powerful bass note. After the initial shock something was not quite right. Spatial disposition was off with a more muddled image, similar to an out of phase condition. Blaming on break-in I kept on going for a while until I could not stand it. Finally change the orientation to the actual reverse of what I had before. (new R side S->R, L side R->S) ....boom outstanding.! Articulation improved, bass with more weight, definitely less edgy compared to the Orange without any loosing details. Overall a more colored presentation in a good way. Feel very natural and organic. The effect is definitely comparable to swapping to a quality power cord for a LOT LESS money. For the price, I would highly recommend them without any hesitations and i am still at only day 1 of the 200hrs recommended break-in.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Received my SR Purple yesterday, rushed home to install them felling like a late Christmas. Initially place them in the same orientation than the Orange they replaced in my K50 (before right side R->S left side S->R). Right away noticed a greater articulation with slightly more powerful bass note. After the initial shock something was not quite right. Spatial disposition was off with a more muddled image, similar to an out of phase condition. Blaming on break-in I kept on going for a while until I could not stand it. Finally change the orientation to the actual reverse of what I had before. (new R side S->R, L side R->S) ....boom outstanding.! Articulation improved, bass with more weight, definitely less edgy compared to the Orange without any loosing details. Overall a more colored presentation in a good way. Feel very natural and organic. The effect is definitely comparable to swapping to a quality power cord for a LOT LESS money. For the price, I would highly recommend them without any hesitations and i am still at only day 1 of the 200hrs recommended break-in.
Thank you for this. Do you currently use any audiophile
Powerchord and conditioner ? I am curious if these fuses have an effect on top of these or standalone.

velcro22

Oct 7, 2020
Canada
Thank you for this. Do you currently use any audiophile
Powerchord and conditioner ? I am curious if these fuses have an effect on top of these or standalone.
I have dedicated 20A circuits for the sources/amps, using Shunyata cables (combo Omega and Sigma v2) and an Everest. Connections are a bit hybrid and the setup is based on trial and error, testing and preference so kind of awkward but seems to work for me. Both the server and DAC are not connected via the Everest but directly to the wall. I found that the K50 prefers to be connected directly to the wall outlet and I use a Omega QRs. Splitting the DAC via the Everest and K50 directly to the wall lead to grounding/noise issues. All my other components' including the Pre are via the Everest.

So yes the effect is additional to conditioner and quality power cable, at least that is my experience. So far, I have replaced the 2 fuses in the K50, my DAC and PRE. After a day an half, the biggest improvement was K50, DAC then Pre in that order. Of note, my DAC and Pre both have serious separate power supply and it still made a difference but YMMV. Planning to leave this running all week while I am away to get a real good idea of the final result.

It might seems like a lot $ for a fuse, but from a price/return standpoint, it is very hard to beat.

Hope this helps

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
I have dedicated 20A circuits for the sources/amps, using Shunyata cables (combo Omega and Sigma v2) and an Everest. Connections are a bit hybrid and the setup is based on trial and error, testing and preference so kind of awkward but seems to work for me. Both the server and DAC are not connected via the Everest but directly to the wall. I found that the K50 prefers to be connected directly to the wall outlet and I use a Omega QRs. Splitting the DAC via the Everest and K50 directly to the wall lead to grounding/noise issues. All my other components' including the Pre are via the Everest.

So yes the effect is additional to conditioner and quality power cable, at least that is my experience. So far, I have replaced the 2 fuses in the K50, my DAC and PRE. After a day an half, the biggest improvement was K50, DAC then Pre in that order. Of note, my DAC and Pre both have serious separate power supply and it still made a difference but YMMV. Planning to leave this running all week while I am away to get a real good idea of the final result.

It might seems like a lot $ for a fuse, but from a price/return standpoint, it is very hard to beat.

Hope this helps
Thank you. It's very interesting. Can you provide more information on the type of Synergistic Research fuses. Is it 2.5 amp slow-blow 5x20mm?. I own the Antipodes K40 which I really appreciate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing