Is balanced power safe? I'd love to get set straight on this- I don't think so

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I dug up this old thread on the balanced power topic from another Forum. Lots of debate, but an electrical engineer and an electrical machine designer participating are adamant that it’s not safe in residential settings. (Disclaimer: I’m not an advocate one way or the other.)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

This is my take as well. Equi=tech seems to work but as I mentioned earlier, there are IMHO, better alternatives. In view of the potential safety hazards, this should be approached with great care.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC

I dug up this old thread on the balanced power topic from another Forum. Lots of debate, but an electrical engineer and an electrical machine designer participating are adamant that it’s not safe in residential settings. (Disclaimer: I’m not an advocate one way or the other.)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Do you mean the electrical engineer and his electrical machine designer/sheet metal mechanic sidekick, whose latest products have this spiffy feature -

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=263&Itemid=210
All new AVA products now include IEC power sockets and a ground lift switch to eliminate ground loop hum in complex systems.
This switch does not lift the signal ground, or interpose a standoff between signal and safety ground, but actually disconnects the safety ground from the chassis of his Class I products.
fv-600r-back-straight.jpg

These are the folks whose opinions you invoke as an appeal to authority???

Then again, I wouldn't be concerned with such (wrt safety) dumbass implementations if they were fed via a GFCI protected circuit.;)

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Do you mean the electrical engineer and his electrical machine designer/sheet metal mechanic sidekick, whose latest products have this spiffy feature -

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=263&Itemid=210

This switch does not lift the signal ground, or interpose a standoff between signal and safety ground, but actually disconnects the safety ground from the chassis of his Class I products.
View attachment 17649

These are the folks whose opinions you invoke as an appeal to authority???

Then again, I wouldn't be concerned with such (wrt safety) dumbass implementations if they were fed via a GFCI protected circuit.;)

Funnily enough this is the same guy who said you want a listening room with concrete walls and no absorption for 'best bass response'.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
If you follow NEC requirements, all the outlets used with symmetrical power will be of the GFCI type. Equi=Tech does this on their units. The concern is when symmetrical power is installed as part of the building wiring- then you have to be careful that all outlets are GFCI.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing