Is my amp under powered for my A3's?

Munchoba

May 1, 2019
Hi,

Newbie on this forum.
I've gotten a pair of A3's last year, waiting for my dCS Bartok to arrive and now wondering if my Pass Labs 30.5 is the right amp for these speakers?
Open to suggestions and thinking eventually of getting ARC or Luxman. What is an appropriate power for these speakers?

thanks
Bernard

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
The Hegel H360 worked very well with mine. But when I moved up to S3 MkII I got a Boulder 2060 and the difference was significant. I suspect it would not have been as great a difference with the A3s. The H360 is available at a reasonable cost second hand.

Munchoba

May 1, 2019
The Hegel H360 worked very well with mine. But when I moved up to S3 MkII I got a Boulder 2060 and the difference was significant. I suspect it would not have been as great a difference with the A3s. The H360 is available at a reasonable cost second hand.
Very intersting. Thanks

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Re: your Pass 30.5 amp, a 30 watt amp with a 150 damping factor I think is a bit on the lean side for the A3's being a sealed box design with an 88db, 4 ohm nominal load. I've heard the A3's in an extended listening session with the Vitus RI-101 integrated. That was a great match. The Vitus has ample power and sounds natural, tonally accurate, well balanced & notably has excellent low level detail retrieval, a result of a significant lowering of the noise floor from the old RI-100. Though not cheap @$15.6kUS. Another amp I think would pair well based on past shows is the new Hegel H590 integrated @$11k. The Hegel is a bit of a Swisse army tool and has some impressive inclusions. I wouldn't have any hesitation recommending either amp depending on budget.

Reactions: Al M.

Munchoba

May 1, 2019
Re: your Pass 30.5 amp, a 30 watt amp with a 150 damping factor I think is a bit on the lean side for the A3's being a sealed box design with an 88db, 4 ohm nominal load. I've heard the A3's in an extended listening session with the Vitus RI-101 integrated. That was a great match. The Vitus has ample power and sounds natural, tonally accurate, well balanced & notably has excellent low level detail retrieval, a result of a significant lowering of the noise floor from the old RI-100. Though not cheap @$15.6kUS. Another amp I think would pair well based on past shows is the new Hegel H590 integrated @$11k. The Hegel is a bit of a Swisse army tool and has some impressive inclusions. I wouldn't have any hesitation recommending either amp depending on budget.

Thank you Bodhi. Don't want/need an integrated but will certainly look into Vitus.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thank you Bodhi. Don't want/need an integrated but will certainly look into Vitus.
No prolly. There is also a stereo version of the RI-101 (RS-101) fyi. But unless you were going for Vitus separates, for the extra $1k I'd go for the RI-101 every time. The Soulution 330 integrated also has excellent synergy with the A3's in a smaller room, and again there is a stereo version of that amp (311). Vitus in a medium or larger room.

Last edited:

Munchoba

May 1, 2019
You might also consider the Norma PA150 or even the PA160MR.

Thank you. I have to admit, I've never heard of Norma. Not sure they have a dealer in Canada.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
http://www.crownmtnimports.ca/home.html

I don’t know them but I am the new US distributor for Norma and they have some special sauce in their solid state. They are probably the best kept secret in the North American market. I actually wasn’t interested in working with them initially but then I heard their gear. I found other resources to ensure we could work together after that!

Fidelis (Harbeth Importer) was their US distributor and when we worked out the transition they made it absolutely clear that they wanted to remain a dealer for them. They were also happy to see me assume the brand so I could focus on more exposure for Norma.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I echo Bodhi's advice. I have S3 Mk2s, which present a load similar to your A3s. I play mostly classical music where dynamics matter. Although I don't often listen at what most would consider 'loud' levels, I really appreciate the ease with which my Gryphon Diablo 300 (600 watts into 4 ohms) drives these speakers.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Norma PA-150 stereo
878709-norma-pa150-2mhz-stereo-amp-distrib-demo-rmaf-save-gt-50.jpg

Norma PA-160 mono
1538123563Bloc_mono_PA-160_MR_interne.jpg

The Italian design is internally beautiful too!

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
My Naim 300DR is driving my A3's just fine.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I've got the S3 MKI and prior to my current Pass XA60.8's I was powering them for a short while with a Pass XA30.5. It did seem a bit under powered but not by too much. Bass was a bit "Puffy" but that too may have been part of the XA30.5's personality. I loved the sound of that Amp overall though. Only time the needle ever moved was during "Full Send" mode FWIW.

If not to constrained budget wise it wouldn't hurt to move up to something a bit more powerful. I'm biased but I would pick up XA60.8 Mono's if I were in your shoes. You wont be disappointed, I know I'm not :)

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
recently listened to the A3s with Vitus RI101 integrated. although the A3s had not been run in for me there was something missing. but this may also be the source material as the dealer could not get my selected material working.

to me the synergy was not there. however, this setup was very airy and had an enormous sound stage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing