Is Trickle-Down Real?

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I just read Craigr's first impressions of the dCS Varese in a high-end system. It was exciting to read about its purity, its substantial improvement over the Vivaldi, and the difficulty in telling - as they used to say - "Is it Live or is it Memorex?"
That made me think about the trickle-down process in no-limits audio. Will the Varese's technology be available in more pedestrian components in five or ten years, and is there a line at which the plots on the graph cross to indicate maximum cost/benefit? For example, after drooling over the out-of-reach-for-me Taiko Extreme and Olympus, I found the Pachanko Labs Constellation Mini SE, and got a very satisfying taste of what a superb digital front-end could deliver.
I'm assuming that actual production costs and market interest will forever maintain some kind of gulf between high-end and consumer-level audio, but I'm also hoping that the audio quality of the million(ish)-dollar system Craigr heard might be available for far less in the twenty-ish years I'm guessing I might have left...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu