Jimmy’s Audio System

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Congrats on the upgrade!

Would love to hear about the differences you witnessed by upping the power to the S3's (being a fellow S3 owner). I'm using the baby XA60.8's on my rig.

I may have missed it but, what is the size of your room?

Room is 13'w. There is 14' back to my chair which is up against the "bar" which forms a 1/2 wall into the laundry room, which is another 7' of depth.

Not sure what I can attribute to the change from 100 to 160 vs the change from .5's to .8's, but the main difference I heard immediately was the control of the speaker. The low end was the most defined I've heard in my system and there was additional low end depth I had not had before.
When I had the chance to meet Peter and hear his system, he shared his journey from 100's to 160's and it seems he had a similar experience. I wouldn't have thought that the 100's were under powered for my setup, but the improvements I have with the 160's, even in my small room, points to something..

As I listened more, the midrange was more balanced with the rest of the music presentation. I think this may be the .5's having a sweeter midrange vs the .8's. I preferred the .8's in my system here.

The other factor I heard has that the .8's were "faster" and more resolving vs the .5's, yet I still have an overall musical presentation. I have had Soulution in my system to demo and it was faster and more resolving as well, but the Soulution was more "dry" vs what I hear in the .8's.

My long term goal is Magico M3's, and I think the .8's will be a great match for them as well.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
As I listened more, the midrange was more balanced with the rest of the music presentation. I think this may be the .5's having a sweeter midrange vs the .8's. I preferred the .8's in my system here.

The other factor I heard has that the .8's were "faster" and more resolving vs the .5's, yet I still have an overall musical presentation. I have had Soulution in my system to demo and it was faster and more resolving as well, but the Soulution was more "dry" vs what I hear in the .8's.

Jimmy, I think this sums it up very well. I have not heard the Solutions in my system, but I did compare the 160.8 to the 160.5 in my system with the Mini 2, and this is more or less what I heard. With fuller range speakers, I might prefer the .8 too. Hard to say. It may be a preference thing and the differences between the Magico S and Q as well playing a role.

Congratulations again. And I will follow these pages for the eventual addition of the M3.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Great system, Jimmy! What about the dCS comparison? :p

Last edited:

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Its been a long time since I updated this thread, and I'll let the picture do the talking for now.... Its been a crazy couple of years with work, travel, and Covid.

IMG_1905.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing