Just how does one learn to listen?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good comment. This is one of the things I was taught as a teenager. Listen with your eyes open, then listen with closed. Take your glasses off and listen again then close your eyes and listen. If all four correlate, then you are close.

i also used to turn around and face the other way, back to the stage, to practice getting image positions right.

Reactions: Rt66indierock

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Van Damme’s journey as an audiophile. He first just screamed at forum members then closed his eyes remembered his training in Vienna under mentor and got his system spot on

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Tima
i Had to look up areas of the brain to follow your post what a amazingly detailed post truly
I can get emotional but it can be on any stereo not just a high end system
as for focus I take meds for this so the in and out of focus is a very difficult thing to deal with
Reading my posts might elude to this a bit

the mood , the mind and sounds so really have major shifts at times for me
many times as I walk outside I use ear buds to close out sounds of the city
one of the likes of down south is the shier silence around me
at times I can hear a leaf or twig hit the ground
music is truly emotional to me unlike any other sounds I hear
your mall comment is very true

at audio shows I use buds to silent the rooms
and it wonder to walk into a
room that is analog
few digital rooms effect me as such but a few digital rooms can and do
I wonder how or why they do but not most ?
a while back i had a brain scan for my eye site , migraines
it was totally annoying and
in the end showed nothing to help me
great post meds a must to follow the many paths like a great movie lol.

Reactions: tima

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I was lucky to met many such people in my life - I will just point a few such as Ricardo Franassovici of Absolute Sounds, Lew Johnson of Conrad Johnson or Peter McGrath of Wilson Audio - people with great expertise and ability to transmit audio messages. Talking with them freely at dinners or in social events were marks in my audio life.

But most of what I learned come from magazines, articles and books on the subject. These people showed me mainly new ways and new capabilities of stereo reproduction, that there are no boundaries in it, except our wish. And that for each door we open, we must close several others.

And I should not forget the influence of recording engineers, always intrinsic in their recordings.

I have met both Ricardo and Peter many times at the old Heathrow shows - but I could never claim that either was my teacher.

I like your expression of opening and closing doors.

A saying that has always resonated with me is "When the student is ready the teacher will appear".

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tima
i Had to look up areas of the brain to follow your post what a amazingly detailed post truly
I can get emotional but it can be on any stereo not just a high end system
as for focus I take meds for this so the in and out of focus is a very difficult thing to deal with
Reading my posts might elude to this a bit

the mood , the mind and sounds so really have major shifts at times for me
many times as I walk outside I use ear buds to close out sounds of the city
one of the likes of down south is the shier silence around me
at times I can hear a leaf or twig hit the ground
music is truly emotional to me unlike any other sounds I hear
your mall comment is very true

at audio shows I use buds to silent the rooms
and it wonder to walk into a
room that is analog
few digital rooms effect me as such but a few digital rooms can and do
I wonder how or why they do but not most ?
a while back i had a brain scan for my eye site , migraines
it was totally annoying and
in the end showed nothing to help me
great post meds a must to follow the many paths like a great movie lol.

Thank you Al. Music is a blessing for us to share.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I had two highly influential guys that were “in the business “. The first was Volker Kuhn, the proprietor of Black Forest Audio in Germany. He was the importer for Kondo, (formerly) KR Audio, Silvaweld, New Audio Frontiers, etc. He showed me SET and high efficiency and sound that started to resemble live.

The other was the late Allen Wright of VacuumState. The number and depth of discussions around our observations and what they mean in terms of realism were very valuable…not to mention his great sounding preamp and amp!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I had two highly influential guys that were “in the business “. The first was Volker Kuhn, the proprietor of Black Forest Audio in Germany. He was the importer for Kondo, (formerly) KR Audio, Silvaweld, New Audio Frontiers, etc. He showed me SET and high efficiency and sound that started to resemble live.

The other was the late Allen Wright of VacuumState. The number and depth of discussions around our observations and what they mean in terms of realism were very valuable…not to mention his great sounding preamp and amp!
I went rogue and learned everything on my own, the hard way. Not recommended. Better to get a mentor who will show you around.
We are trying to be that here, to help and advise users in need :)

Reactions: Marko Dvecko

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing