KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
And #2 on the kit list, the absolutely massive Pathos Legacy. You can't imagine how big it is until you see it. Just beautiful Italian hybrid design.

IMG_7095.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
And finally, the best experience of the show was afterhours in the Stenheim/VTL playing the 50th anniversary reissue of Dark Side of the Moon. The ~50 person crowd was mesmerized for 45 minutes!

IMG_7102.jpeg

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Keith, good seeing you as always. Given my room duties, I could only hear the Wolf Von Langa's and the Avantgard rooms. Both were sensational in different ways. The big Credo line arrays, as are their smaller and unassuming floor-standers, are truly special. The brand deserves more recognition in the US, and I know their distributor is working toward that.
Did you get to the High Water Sound room to hear the Alieno electronics and small Cessaro horns with subs? Jeff's rooms are always among the best.

Reactions: WLP3 and gestalt

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
And finally, the best experience of the show was afterhours in the Stenheim/VTL playing the 50th anniversary reissue of Dark Side of the Moon. The ~50 person crowd was mesmerized for 45 minutes!

View attachment 129629
Would have been my favorite room of the show if they could have sorted the bass better, but that 30' cube of a room is impossible. The air, speed and harmonic revelation up above the bass has me definitely wanting to hear these in a well-sorted set up.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Would have been my favorite room of the show if they could have sorted the bass better, but that 30' cube of a room is impossible. The air, speed and harmonic revelation up above the bass has me definitely wanting to hear these in a well-sorted set up.
Curious which day you listened to the Stenheims? Each day was a different experience. Firday had some issues. Saturday was much improved and outstanding. I did not get to listen on Sunday but I heard reports that it was even better.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Oh, I listened all three days, and can attest to the improvements you note. I went there several times each day, as this is a speaker of great interest to me. Friday was certainly the worst in this regard, but I felt I had to give it allowance for bass lumpiness and smear due to that room every day. I would trust that one could smooth that out considerably in a better sized room and, of course, with normal judicious working on it over time. Shows are tough!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

must be the show conditions as Stenheims have great bass, possibly the best in cones

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
It's show conditions, for sure. I know I was struck by their tone and texture on the last day of Munich 2023. Some of the best bass I've ever heard, and the whole presentation got me thinking these could be the ones (certainly on The List).

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, good seeing you as always. Given my room duties, I could only hear the Wolf Von Langa's and the Avantgard rooms. Both were sensational in different ways. The big Credo line arrays, as are their smaller and unassuming floor-standers, are truly special. The brand deserves more recognition in the US, and I know their distributor is working toward that.
Did you get to the High Water Sound room to hear the Alieno electronics and small Cessaro horns with subs? Jeff's rooms are always among the best.
I did, but didn't get any pictures there or in your room funny enough (you guys had tons of people at all hours). Both were sounding good.

Others I liked but didn't grab shots:

Clarisys w/ Hegel
Sonus Faber w/ SPL
Mofi w/ BAT (looked much better than the last Jones creation)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Overall show thoughts - sound was pleasantly good in most rooms. There were a few misses, but I'm not going to go there this year. Traffic was good even on Sunday until late afternoon. I was there when the Junkie shot the Focal room at 2pm on Sunday with 50 people squeezed in.

Speaking of YouTubers, the show was so big I didn't run into my friend Jay over 3 days lol. I met Steve Guttenberg for the first time and he's as nice as they come. Saw Jay's Iyagi numerous times, rushing from room to room like he was on a mission. And of course our own Ron Resnick was a YT socialite being dragged all over for interviews. I continue to think social media and influencers is good for the hobby despite the boomer reviewer/dealer demographic's views. Speaking of, I saw more young people than any show in recent memory. Even saw a few families!

Music was still hit or miss - too much jazz, Steely Dan, and Fink Live. I deem the latter the new overplayed cut that has trumped Keith Don't Go. Sorry folks! We need a broader musical palette for the new audiophiles joining our hobby. Treehaus Audio was playing Kruangbin and Japanese Breakfast, John Devore (as always) was playing a variety of cool vintage and new stuff, and I requested Kid A that I saw on LP in the ampandsound room. Michael Vamos always plays fresh stuff; the JMF room was solid. Jeff Catalano's LP collection is still amazing and the opposite of show music. But most of the big rooms play the safe boring stuff, afraid of rocking the boat.

Till next year,

KeithR

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Agree with you on Fink. Although I like and own several of his albums. I did take requests. (As long as it wasnt too crazy). We even played Bob Denver “take me home, country roads” for one little girl. When it finished everyone clapped for her. Really nice. I hope you got to listen to what you wanted to on Subday.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Overall show thoughts - sound was pleasantly good in most rooms. There were a few misses, but I'm not going to go there this year. Traffic was good even on Sunday until late afternoon. I was there when the Junkie shot the Focal room at 2pm on Sunday with 50 people squeezed in.

Speaking of YouTubers, the show was so big I didn't run into my friend Jay over 3 days lol. I met Steve Guttenberg for the first time and he's as nice as they come. Saw Jay's Iyagi numerous times, rushing from room to room like he was on a mission. And of course our own Ron Resnick was a YT socialite being dragged all over for interviews. I continue to think social media and influencers is good for the hobby despite the boomer reviewer/dealer demographic's views. Speaking of, I saw more young people than any show in recent memory. Even saw a few families!

Music was still hit or miss - too much jazz, Steely Dan, and Fink Live. I deem the latter the new overplayed cut that has trumped Keith Don't Go. Sorry folks! We need a broader musical palette for the new audiophiles joining our hobby. Treehaus Audio was playing Kruangbin and Japanese Breakfast, John Devore (as always) was playing a variety of cool vintage and new stuff, and I requested Kid A that I saw on LP in the ampandsound room. Michael Vamos always plays fresh stuff; the JMF room was solid. Jeff Catalano's LP collection is still amazing and the opposite of show music. But most of the big rooms play the safe boring stuff, afraid of rocking the boat.

Till next year,

KeithR
Keith, make a short playlist of your coolest music, and I guarantee I'll use it at The Home Entertainment Show in June. Loved your recap and industry comments!

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Agree with you on Fink. Although I like and own several of his albums. I did take requests. (As long as it wasnt too crazy). We even played Bob Denver “take me home, country roads” for one little girl. When it finished everyone clapped for her. Really nice. I hope you got to listen to what you wanted to on Subday.
Which Fink track is the new "Keith don't go"?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing