Kondo Ongaku

DESMODXB

Apr 7, 2022
Which high end dynamic driver speakers do you use or recommend for best match for G70 and Ongaku to play with all genre of music including indie rock. (do not like horns). For a normal sized living room setup. 5.5m X 8.5m.

Last edited:

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Do you think that Ongaku can drive such a big speaker like Sigma Acoustics MAAT ??
yes it can. It of course depends on listening volume. But even the designer thinks it is one of the best combinations AFAIK. As far as I remember he uses 300b PP power amp with approx 20w in the design process. I actually own the speakers and know then very well. Speakers have claimed sensitivity of 100 db. It is 8 ohm design, and its minimum impendance is around 6 ohms (measured it in my room with one friend who designs speakers).

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
yes it can. It of course depends on listening volume. But even the designer thinks it is one of the best combinations AFAIK. As far as I remember he uses 300b PP power amp with approx 20w in the design process. I actually own the speakers and know then very well. Speakers have claimed sensitivity of 100 db. It is 8 ohm design, and its minimum impendance is around 6 ohms (measured it in my room with one friend who designs speakers).
Great thanks!

Can you post a picture of your speakers please?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Wowwww this are small boys :)
Would love to hear them....
What speakers did you use prior and what are the benefits of the Sigma s ?
I have used many speakers, but last three before MAAT were Avantgarde Duo G2, Harbeth 40.1 and Kaiser Kawero. MAATs are big and I was quite sceptical if they would work in my room. I felt in love with them approx 5-6 years ago when they presented them in Munich in Sheraton, when High end was taking place. Before commiting to buying them I checked with the designer if they would work in my room and I was actually able to test them in my room before final decision.

For me, they are one of the best speakers, because they play all music equally well. I listen mainly to jazz, some classical, but also like to listen to electronica and hard rock sometimes. They are very “musical”. In principle they are very amplifier friendly, but they shine with tube amps. They are also very transparent, which can be good and bad. You can easily hear differences among components, cables, tweaks, but they also sound quite agressive when system is not in balance. For me Living Voice Vox is the best speaker I have ever heard (several times in Munich), but in my opinion if system is in balance MAAT can sound equally good or (I assume) on music like electronica even better.

Last edited:

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have used many speakers, but last three before MAAT were Avantgarde Duo G2, Harbeth 40.1 and Kaiser Kawero. MAATs are big and I was quite sceptical if they would work in my room. I felt in love with them approx 5-6 years ago when they presented them in Munich in Sheraton, when High end was taking place. Before commiting to buying them I checked with the designer if they would work in my room and I was actually able to test them in my room before final decision.

For me, they are one of the best speakers, because they play all music equally well. I listen mainly to jazz, some classical, but also like to listen to electronica and hard rock sometimes. They are very “musical”. In principle they are very amplifier friendly, but they shine with tube amps. They are also very transparent, which can be good and bad. You can easily hear differences among components, cables, tweaks, but they also sound quite agressive when system is not in balance. For me Living Voice Vox is the best speaker I have ever heard (several times in Munich), but in my opinion if system is in balance MAAT can sound equally good or (I assume) on music like electronica even better.

Great to hear if you where leaving close i would gladly visit you to have a listen....

Dec 15, 2021
Greetings!
I agree with Tbzc's words but allow me to add some considerations: Large audio systems, and especially large speaker systems, have always impressed not only with their extreme size and realistic dynamics, but also with their sense of "enormous sound. ". But this was often accompanied by a poorly proportioned image, characteristics of the latter recognized, over time, as the real defect of large speakers.

Well, the Maat represent a surprising approach in the field of high efficiency as they are also easily piloted and inserted in an environment without major trauma, they have a well-proportioned image and a respectable live sound. Great high efficiency system but practically flat impedance on eight ohms, a real pleasure for any type of transistor or tube amplification no longer forced to "indulge the whims" of speakers with hysterical impedances.

I limit myself to these characteristic aspects of these speakers which are objective elements without addressing those then are the listening impressions whose evaluations may depend on different variables such as room size, personal taste, etc, etc ..

dgau88

Aug 5, 2021
hi all:

I am planning to buy the M7 silver sound or the newer m7 phono plus the M7 line, will pair the the overture first, will finally go to the ongaku.

or M7 riaa is good or it is too old?

Any suggestions here?

I need some power to drive my speaker. Pawel speaker.

Thanks
Dicky

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
M7 riaa only (silver sound) is a truly fantastic device, I agree with gian60, better G70i then M7 especially with Ongaku.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
How would you rate the G70 and 70i compared to the M77 Ongaku or M77 (not Ongaku) preamp?
Both M77 preamps are also available with integrated phono. Or are these integrated phono stages not as good as the separate ones?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

Living Voice make fantastic speakers all the way from their lower range up to their top of the range.

Reactions: sjs

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
M77 is a little bit “dark” and “fat” compared to M7, not a good choice for Ongaku amplifier. Instead is wonderful with Gakuoh (1 version) G70i is a great choice for Ongaku better then M7. M77 Internal phono section is not as good as the separate, M7 riaa ss is a great choice. I suggest Kondo/ANJ Step up>M7 ss riaa only>G70i>Ongaku. If you are lucky you can swap G70i with a M10 ANJ preamp. My loudspeakers were Avantgarde Trio/Basshorn, Living Voice obx rw3, Avantgarde duo mezzo. Obviously this is my opinion.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
So wat is the difference between Japan Kondo and UK Kondo ? in terms of sound of course.
Did no one fancy commenting on this? I have no idea but I'm very curious. I see no love for UK Audio Note here.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Did no one fancy commenting on this? I have no idea but I'm very curious. I see no love for UK Audio Note here.
I think it is a subject that has been commented on quite a bit over the years. I have used both extensively and current own ANUK and ANJP gear. Generalising wouldn't really be fair as there are so many more models in the ANUK lineup. I have found the ANUK top end preamps to be more to my liking than the top Kondo ones. Both their Gakuons are great as well. The one difference I would say is that ANUK speakers are quite special even though they look pretty vanilla. There is no Kondo equivalent and with the new Field Coil Version coming out the game has probably risen again. Honestly I would be happy with both. The Kondo ongaku appeared to me to be a little more dynamic but both are so tube see dependent and I have owned both versions.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Thanks, interesting reply and very helpful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing