Krell Cast Wiring and Transparent Audio Wires

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
I am hesitate to write some reviews because many of the people on this site are professionals in the field and are sometimes connected, one way or another, to many of the audio companies. For those reasons, and that civility, negative reviews or comparisons are actually hard to find.

As a consumer I root for all companies to put out good products, I am happy to pass on what worked for me and what didn’t. That is the case here.

For the last several years I have used Transparent Audio interconnects and speaker wire. They replaced my Straight Wire when I rearranged my room and lost my SW dealer. I have dealt with TA directly, calling and asking questions and they have been very helpful.

Primarily I used balanced cables of their MM variety where I could: Pre-amp to amps; CD player and FM Tuner in. Since there is only one balanced input on the 707, I have used that for the SACD player mostly, but also for the FM tuner.

When I got the Krell Cipher, I connected that with Krell Cast Cables, primarily because I was able to keep my Tuner connected by the single balanced cable. But I also hooked up a second, 5.1 input to the Cipher using Transparent cable for the left and right and Maestro cable for all others. The people from Krell have been so helpful and supportive and I thought if they encouraged this, it was worth a shot. Surprising, for me, there is NO WAY one can sue the Cast outputs on the Cipher for the left and right of the 5.1 sound, you MUST use single ended cables. You can’t even use the balanced outs.

I then installed the Krell Cast cables to my left, right and center speaker.

In my opinion, without a doubt, the original configuration using Transparent balanced was better. The bass was clearer and not boomy, the details of the high end were clearer and more pronounced and the upper midrange was smoother.

In fact, I had EQed my system so that I could clearly hear and understand the center channel, which carries most of the dialogue. When using the Cast, I actually had trouble understanding the center channel and made it louder because the bass was so prevalent the center was drowned out.

Again, this hobby is fun for me, not my profession. I had the Cast cables on for 80 or so hours of use, perhaps a reviewer would have given them more time. NOT being the professional, I was NOT enjoying them so I switched back.

I did run the Cipher with Krell cast and single ended transparent. The bass was instantly and noticeable better with the Transparent. The upper mid-range almost sounded distorted with the Krell, but there is a caveat.

The Cipher, after about 30 hours of use, failed and refused to turn or give me back my Bill Evans SACD. So I cannot give you a complete review of that component, but I have run everything else I had through the Cast and the results were consistent.

Last edited:

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
Hi Steve,

That's a good question and I asked it. Transparent says that the sound will NOT improve over balanced cables, even using their caast.. I should also note that while Transparent makes several grades of wires, krell makes but one.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve,

That's a good question and I asked it. Transparent says that the sound will NOT improve over balanced cables, even using their Cast.. I should also note that while Transparent makes several grades of wires, krell makes but one.

Perhaps that would be the case BUT I bet a CAST cable by Transparent is a whole lot less money than a Balanced Transparent cable of a similar length

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Krell Cast at least used to be made for Krell by Art Almstead of Twisted Pair Design (he also designs the Cable Research Lab products).

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Currently, the Krell CAST are made by Nordost. It is mentioned on the box and on the cables as well (at least on mines).

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Currently, the Krell CAST are made by Nordost. It is mentioned on the box (at least on mines).

OK thanks for the update. Things might have changed after Dan left.

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013
Is that CAST or are they just using Zensati cables at the show? I was there and didn't get the idea the cables were anything but Zensati.

I'm not 100% sure that ZenSati CAST cables are genuine Krell CAST cables. In ZenSatis June 2012 retailprice list , I find CAST cables in series #3, Cherub and Seraphim.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm not 100% sure that ZenSati CAST cables are genuine Krell CAST cables. In ZenSatis June 2012 retailprice list , I find CAST cables in series #3, Cherub and Seraphim.

Maybe more than one company is now making CAST? Would seem strange since Dan claimed the CAST technology eliminated or at least minimized the differences between cables, which as I remember he hated.

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
Both the smaller length and the lager length and the longer length I got directly from Krell are made by Nordost. I still like the TA balanced the best. Has anyone tried MIT?

Chr. R.

May 11, 2013
Maybe more than one company is now making CAST? Would seem strange since Dan claimed the CAST technology eliminated or at least minimized the differences between cables, which as I remember he hated.

I believe that Mark Johansen (the man behind the company ZenSati) makes CAST cables, because he was previously Krell dealer, and therefore developed a product he believes could be sold. Similarly, there are many manufacturers who make bags, etc. for Apple products, where Apple has no influence whatsoever on the company or its products.

Either way, a ZenSati CAST is an expensive cable - very expensive. Cheapest cable is 0.5 meters # 3 at 2450 euros "without shipment, TAX and VAT", the Cherub series cost 7,700 euros (same length), and finally the price of 0.5 m Seraphim CAST cable is 8,050 euros.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing