Kudos to ARC

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Many of you provided good advice when I was performing my once a decade or so equipment upgrade. I was so excited to be given the chance to acquire a new pair of ARC Ref 250se amps many months after they were discontinued. Well, the day before my winter break, my retirement job is a part time IT manager at a local high school, one of the meters on the amps went south. Here I was faced with having to send one amp back to ARC for repair and miss out on all the listening time I had looked forward to. ARC came up with a creative way for me to get my meter replaced without having to ship it back and only a couple of hours downtime. I'm a longtime ARC user but, in the 90s I played around with Krell and Threshold, both good companies. I'm so glad that in the early 2000s I returned to my roots and started the system that I now have based around the fabulous ARC products. Absolutely fabulous service!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You ARC!!!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
If the meter swap is like I did on my Ref75 many years ago… it is indeed user serviceable but not trivial. Maybe the 250 is easier? On the 75 I found myself in a little deeper than I hoped for, but patience and attention to details got me through.

Nice amps! Glad to hear your not having a lot of downtime just for the meter.

Reactions: tuber

tuber

Nov 22, 2021
I think they are user-serviceable, depending on the user.

Kudos to you both for taking it on. Looks too involved for me.

I'm happy to hear you are back up and running without having to send the amplifier in.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Great to hear and I would expect nothing less from a top notch company such as ARC !

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
A new pair eh? Fortune smiled.

A few years back I had an in-my-own-room listening opportunity with what you have now: 2se, 5se, and a pair of 250s on Wilson's. An excellent all ARC combo that approached OTL level transparency. Very quick and articulate on the front end, with a fine sense of decay on the back. You should be set easily for another decade!

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
When I talked to ARC and was told they were discontinued Evan asked me to hold. Dave came on the line and agreed to build another pair for me. Fortune definitely smiled on me that day.

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
When I talked to ARC and was told they were discontinued Evan asked me to hold. Dave came on the line and agreed to build another pair for me. Fortune definitely smiled on me that day.
Hey Pacha,
Congrats on getting the meter in your 250SE repaired without the time and hassle of sending it back to the factory. ARC should also be commended. I used to have a very similar ARC array as yours with the 250SE, 5SE and 2SE along with a Koetsu Vermillion. It was magical! I've since upgraded to the ARC 6SE and 3SE which in some ways is better but no more magical than the 5SE/2SE combination.

Reactions: Pacha and Argonaut

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned the ARC 250's for sometime, but they were not powerful enough for the Aida's. Much later I compared the 250 with the 250SE and the SE had more muscle and power, even improving on the good things of the old model - more fluidity and "speed". Probably they would match the Aida's, but they were already gone.

Reactions: lem321

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Having finally received my Sasha DAW’s and spent the last couple of days setting them up, first chance to turn on my ref6 SE and 250 SE’s in over 5 months and completely forgotten how good they sound. My wife more than ably assisted getting them up stairs (the base units are 30lbs heavier than my previous Sasha2’s) and enjoying using our longer arms) but it’s the first time she’s ever said she noticed how good it sounds! Great combination

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing