KUZMA Stabi R , Silver or Wood?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Very nice! Just curious why no Kuzma arm?
Kuzma Stogi is my standard set up, but sometimes I like to compare a dedicated cartridge on different tonearms,
than exchangeable headshells are important.

IMG_0045.jpg

Reactions: Mike

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I heard the Kuzma Stabi R with the Kuzma 4Point 14" and Kuzma CAR50 connected to a 'Consolidated Audio' SUT then to 'SJS Electroacoustics' system (full tube electronics) which in turn was linked to 'Living Voice' OBX RW4 Speakers back in July this year at the Northern Hifi Show near Crewe, UK. The system belonged to Definitive Audio.

For me it was one of the best sounding systems at the show, with only two other systems costing double the cost of this amazing Definitive Audio System. I liked the sound that much that approx. 70% of my time there during a full Saturday was spent in the Definitive Audio room. Kevin (from Definitive Audio & Living Voice) and Simon (from SJS Electroacoustics) were true gentlemen.

The system provided a rock solid and stable presentation with great detail big sound stage & 3D image (especially for the size of the speakers) and amazing texture of the voices and instruments. Never heard a system like this before. It was truly addictive. The sound heard from these medium sized speakers being fed by only 8Watts was truly amazing and awe inspiring.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
and here's my little Kuzma ;-)
How do you like the Kuzma ebony record weight / clamp 'fuzzypoodle' ?

Do you find it improves the sound ?

Have you compared it directly with the standard Kuzma record weight / clamp designed and built for the Kuzma Stabi R TT ?

fuzzypoodle

Feb 17, 2021
How do you like the Kuzma ebony record weight / clamp 'fuzzypoodle' ?

Do you find it improves the sound ?

Have you compared it directly with the standard Kuzma record weight / clamp designed and built for the Kuzma Stabi R TT ?
It has not improved the sound in a significant manner. No I have not compared it to the other weight.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
It has not improved the sound in a significant manner. No I have not compared it to the other weight.
Thank you 'fuzzypoodle' for the feedback. Much appreciated.

gabweb

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone use the outer ring?
Tried on my Stabi R and it brings a sense of quietness and deeper bass.
Most of the time I use both the clamp and the outer ring and sometimes only the outer ring.
Live with it and is less annoying than I thought when playing records

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have the Kuzma ebony clamp for my Stabi M and the result is the same. No significant change in sound, and that is compared to the regular clamp. I suspect the M is so inert that it just doesn't make a difference.

As for the outer ring, I use it because it does make a difference for the better.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Thank you 'gabweb' and 'bazelio' for your posts regarding the Kuzma ebony clamp and the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp (ORC).

I put out a post on the Kuzma ORC for my XL DC a week or so back and asking whether there is a difference between the original Kuzma ORC which weighs 2kg and was only meant for the XL DC and the Stabi M.

Then (I think from 2018/2019 onwards) Kuzma brought out a lighter ORC (I think weighing around 1.2 / 1.3kg) to replace the 2kg one and also meant for more of Kuzma's TT's that not only still included the XL DC and Stabi M but also the Stabi R2 and later the Stabi R which would need a lighter ORC to the original 2kg one.

Do you two gentlemen ( 'gabweb' and 'bazelio) own the original 2kg ORC or the lighter (1.2 / 1.3kg) ORC or have you had both and have compared them next to each other ?

I am still on the fence (due to the high cost of these items and whether they contribute a respectable sound improvement in relation to their cost) as to whether I buy the Kuzma Ebony Clamp to replace my original XL DC screw on brass spindle clamp (and therefore not having to buy the two spindle washers that is meant to go beneath the record and clamp that were missing when I bought my used / second hand XL DC back in July) and also buy the ORC (to flatten records if nothing else - although maybe buying a record flattener is a better investment) but not knowing which is the best one to buy i.e. the original 2kg one of the lighter one (as you can still buy the original 2kg ORC from some Kuzma Dealers (that I assume still have old surplus stock if the 2kg was replaced by the lighter one)).

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Thank you 'gabweb' and 'bazelio' for your posts regarding the Kuzma ebony clamp and the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp (ORC).

I put out a post on the Kuzma ORC for my XL DC a week or so back and asking whether there is a difference between the original Kuzma ORC which weighs 2kg and was only meant for the XL DC and the Stabi M.

Then (I think from 2018/2019 onwards) Kuzma brought out a lighter ORC (I think weighing around 1.2 / 1.3kg) to replace the 2kg one and also meant for more of Kuzma's TT's that not only still included the XL DC and Stabi M but also the Stabi R2 and later the Stabi R which would need a lighter ORC to the original 2kg one.

Do you two gentlemen ( 'gabweb' and 'bazelio) own the original 2kg ORC or the lighter (1.2 / 1.3kg) ORC or have you had both and have compared them next to each other ?

I am still on the fence (due to the high cost of these items and whether they contribute a respectable sound improvement in relation to their cost) as to whether I buy the Kuzma Ebony Clamp to replace my original XL DC screw on brass spindle clamp (and therefore not having to buy the two spindle washers that is meant to go beneath the record and clamp that were missing when I bought my used / second hand XL DC back in July) and also buy the ORC (to flatten records if nothing else - although maybe buying a record flattener is a better investment) but not knowing which is the best one to buy i.e. the original 2kg one of the lighter one (as you can still buy the original 2kg ORC from some Kuzma Dealers (that I assume still have old surplus stock if the 2kg was replaced by the lighter one)).
my original posting on the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp (ORC);

p.s. Sorry 'groovemaster' for 'high jacking' this thread for the 'Kuzma Stabi R Silver or Wood ? ' to talk about the Kuzma ORC !

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'd have to weigh my outer ring to know what it weighs... It came with my Stabi M many years ago. I do find there is a small improvement in sound from the outer ring. A lot of that may come from the effect of flattening the surface of the record though. I believe Franc recommends the non-screw-down ebony center weight to be used in conjunction with the outer ring, or the screw down clamp to be used when you're not using the outer ring. Personally, I am not too keen on any record player that doesn't have some means of flattening (albeit imperfectly) the record being played, whether it's a vacuum system or a periphery ring. But that's just me.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I'd have to weigh my outer ring to know what it weighs... It came with my Stabi M many years ago. I do find there is a small improvement in sound from the outer ring. A lot of that may come from the effect of flattening the surface of the record though. I believe Franc recommends the non-screw-down ebony center weight to be used in conjunction with the outer ring, or the screw down clamp to be used when you're not using the outer ring. Personally, I am not too keen on any record player that doesn't have some means of flattening (albeit imperfectly) the record being played, whether it's a vacuum system or a periphery ring. But that's just me.
Thank you 'bazelio' for your reply. Very much appreciated.

Yes, I remember reading in the past that Franc Kuzma personally preferred the Kuzma Ebony (and without the spindle washers) with the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp on his own Kuzma TT rig (I think it may have been an XL DC although not 100% sure).

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have the Kuzma ebony weight here. I use it on the Brinkmann Balance.

In my set up-If you did not hear its impression on the sound - I would say that you may be hard of hearing ... LOL.

It definitely makes a change. Same effect at my dealer with his XLDC and Saphire.

Now whether you like or endorse the change is personal. I use the stillpoints weight as well. Dollar for dollar- Stillpoints is a winner. I don't use the Brinkmann screw down clamp anymore.

The best clamp I have heard for my system is the Harmonix- it is ridiculously expensive and I don't like it that much for the price :)

I have Shunmook replicants here that our local audio group commissioned and its quite good too.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I have the Kuzma ebony weight here. I use it on the Brinkmann Balance.

In my set up-If you did not hear its impression on the sound - I would say that you may be hard of hearing ... LOL.

It definitely makes a change. Same affect at my dealer with his XLDC and Saphire.

Now whether you like or endorse the change is personal. I use the stillpoints weight as well. Dollar for dollar- Stillpoints is a winner. I don't use the Brinkmann screw down clamp anymore.

The best clamp I have heard for my system is the Harmonix- it is ridiculously expensive and I don't like it that much for the price :)

I have Shunmook replicants here that our local audio group commissioned and its quite good too.
Thank you 'Kcin' for your post. Much appreciated.

Can you describe the changes in sound with and without the Kuzma Ebony on your Brinkmann Balance ?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Jonesy,

The best way that I can explain it is more harmonic texture that will light up a voice or a baritone sax.

The Stillpoints is incisive and starts and stops on a dime.

Depending on source material one or the other may make for more entertainment.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi Jonesy,

The best way that I can explain it is more harmonic texture that will light up a voice or a baritone sax.

The Stillpoints is incisive and starts and stops on a dime.

Depending on source material one or the other may make for more entertainment.
Thank you 'Kcin'. Much appreciated.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
3 days ago installed a Kuzma SAFIR arm on my Stabi R. After spending a few hrs fine-tuning VTA I can say now that this arm has made me rethink what a tonearm can do to a table. yes I've heard other tonearms and they have their own "flavor" but the SAFIR arm is in another universe. It's cleaner sounding, more 3D sounding, instruments are better defined and the soundstage is even wider. This has replaced my 11" 4Point which is not a shabby arm at all BUT........ I can't stop listening to muzic :cool:

Attachments

• 20221123_191520.jpg
    20221123_191520.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20221126_113103.jpg
    20221126_113103.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 53

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing